U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:48 PM

601 posts, read 551,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Their frozen stuff at TJ tastes better and is more interesting
UMM. Okay...keep telling yourself that...

Sorry, it all tastes pretty awful to me (IMO 99% of their items are disgustingly sweet, watered-down American attempts at foreign food) and are incredibly unnatural and unhealthy. TJ uses just as many additives as the average fast food joint, and TJ shoppers are (no offense) absolute suckers for believing the stores' supposed health claims.

Sorry, I'm really hating on it too much here, but I just DON'T GET why everyone loves this place!! When did people get so lazy as to not just go and buy actual groceries (read: unprepared vegetables, fruit, meat!) at a grocery store?! Food shouldn't come in a box! So disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 11:49 PM

24,170 posts, read 13,685,578 times
As Americans we love convenience. A lot of people in cities like L.A are working and commuting all day so many don't have the time or don't want to take the time and effort to cook from scratch.
If everyone cooked from scratch the entire economy would be much different. We would have a lot less restaraunts in general for sure too.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:29 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,353,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
As Americans we love convenience. A lot of people in cities like L.A are working and commuting all day so many don't have the time or don't want to take the time and effort to cook from scratch.
If everyone cooked from scratch the entire economy would be much different. We would have a lot less restaraunts in general for sure too.
This is true. Whenever I cook things from scratch for my friends or family they always go nuts over it, even when it doesn't turn out great. We're too used to the convenience of pre-made foods.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:07 AM

24,170 posts, read 13,685,578 times
I doubt this will change, and it's actually getting to where more people aren't even going to the store to get their premade goods...but rather having them delivered. There are a number of on demand services too that will deliver you fast food or anything you like all on your app.
I'm not sure if it will change unless people start working less, which is doubtful.

The reality is that cooking skills aren't a given in this generation.
That's why people go nuts over it. It's rare.
We did used to do more as a society, but now things have been outsourced.
Things that people in previous generations used to do everyday have turned into niche interests or hobbies to some degree.

Cooking, car maintenance, home maintenance, healthcare to some degree too.
If you go back far enough we used to bury our own dead , rather than outsource to a funeral home.
Something unimaginable and probably illegal today.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:38 AM

5,917 posts, read 4,058,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post

Sorry, it all tastes pretty awful to me (IMO 99% of their items are disgustingly sweet, watered-down American attempts at foreign food) and are incredibly unnatural and unhealthy. TJ uses just as many additives as the average fast food joint, and TJ shoppers are (no offense) absolute suckers for believing the stores' supposed health claims.

Sorry, I'm really hating on it too much here, but I just DON'T GET why everyone loves this place!! When did people get so lazy as to not just go and buy actual groceries (read: unprepared vegetables, fruit, meat!) at a grocery store?! Food shouldn't come in a box! So disgusting.
WHere does TJ's make health claims?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM

11,066 posts, read 8,991,849 times
TJ haters gonna hate. I like it, so I buy it. End of story. Sorry if we don't all grow our own vegetables in our backyard and never eat anything from a box, you all are obviously better than me and I bow before you.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:17 PM

72,680 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post

Are you aware that TJ's IS a grocery store? And that they sell fruits, veggies, and meats/fish/poultry just like you'd expect at a grocery store? Like any grocery store, you have a choice there between buying frozen prepared foods, or plain frozen veggies (which as a class, anywhere you shop, are unprocessed and healthy), and fresh produce. The one difference between TJ's and other stores is that you're forced to buy some veggies in pre-packaged quantities. That doesn't work for singles, or even for couples. A couple doesn't need 8 zucchinis at a time.

Nobody's forcing you to buy anything in the frozen food aisles at TJ's nor at any other grocer. ALL grocery stores carry that kind of thing. All grocers also carry fresh produce. Your rant is off the mark. And fwiw, I don't like TJ's, either. I go there only occasionally for discount cheese and other dairy items. I've never understood why they set up all the stores to look like run-down 40's/50's-era country stores in need of remodeling, either. It's depressing. It looks dirty and unkempt. But whatever. Maybe the old-fashioned country store look is "in".

Old 04-13-2016, 12:57 AM

110 posts, read 76,711 times
You seem hoity toity...and painfully ignorant. I like Whole Foods.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:51 AM

601 posts, read 551,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you aware that TJ's IS a grocery store? And that they sell fruits, veggies, and meats/fish/poultry just like you'd expect at a grocery store? Like any grocery store, you have a choice there between buying frozen prepared foods, or plain frozen veggies (which as a class, anywhere you shop, are unprocessed and healthy), and fresh produce. The one difference between TJ's and other stores is that you're forced to buy some veggies in pre-packaged quantities. That doesn't work for singles, or even for couples. A couple doesn't need 8 zucchinis at a time.

Nobody's forcing you to buy anything in the frozen food aisles at TJ's nor at any other grocer. ALL grocery stores carry that kind of thing. All grocers also carry fresh produce. Your rant is off the mark. And fwiw, I don't like TJ's, either. I go there only occasionally for discount cheese and other dairy items. I've never understood why they set up all the stores to look like run-down 40's/50's-era country stores in need of remodeling, either. It's depressing. It looks dirty and unkempt. But whatever. Maybe the old-fashioned country store look is "in".
Of course all grocers have frozen isles, of course. I think the difference is, in the average store, the frozen aisles alot for 20, maaaybe 30% of the store. In TJ's, I feel like it's at least half of the store. The entire middle part is freezers filled with garbage, you have to stick to the aisles to browse their paltry, tiny selection of meats and veggies.

their wine is ok.

Of course, I eat out my fair share too, but when I'm at home...scrambling a few eggs or cooking a chicken breast is just as easy as throwing something in the microwave, IMHO.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:25 AM

1,099 posts, read 613,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Ok, I'll bite. What in the world is a fascade? Is that like an arcade in a grocery store or something?
I actually opened the thread for the same reason. I've never heard of a fascade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles