Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:52 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times

Advertisements

A little early for fresh, local tomato and basil anyway. Hothouse grown is not as good no matter what the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 11:54 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
[quote=Ruth4Truth;43633936]OP, you have odd expectations of Whole Foods. It's not a restaurant, why would you expect it to sell a specialty salad? Nor is it a gourmet grocery store, nor has it ever claimed to be. '/QUOTE]

That's actually exactly what it is, and that is what it claims to be. Its appeal is based on snobbery.

"Health food store" and "gourmet foods store" have become virtually interchangeable terms. For example Trader Joe's is referred to as both.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I just go to Whole Foods because it tastes better than Ralphs, Vons, or Trader Joes. Maybe its psychological.
So you think it tastes good because it's more expensive? It's about the same as Trader Joe's quality wise.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:17 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
I've been shopping at Whole Foods for decades, since it was known as Wild Oats (i.e., before the merger). And I don't even know what caprese is!

Food is food. I shop at both Whole Foods and Vons, buying based on price. Did you know that sometimes Whole Foods is cheaper than Vons?

For instance, Knudsen's Black Cherry Juice is $6.99 at Vons, but $6.49 at Whole Foods. But berries and bananas are generally cheaper at Vons.

You can often find the same food items at Vons and Whole Foods.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I've been shopping at Whole Foods for decades, since it was known as Wild Oats (i.e., before the merger). And I don't even know what caprese is!

Food is food. I shop at both Whole Foods and Vons, buying based on price. Did you know that sometimes Whole Foods is cheaper than Vons?

For instance, Knudsen's Black Cherry Juice is $6.99 at Vons, but $6.49 at Whole Foods. But berries and bananas are generally cheaper at Vons.

You can often find the same food items at Vons and Whole Foods.
I had to look up caprese, before responding. I did notice that it's suddenly popular in restaurants all over the Bay Area. It must be a new fad.

I've priced the groceries I usually buy (I don't buy packaged foods) at Whole Foods vs. Trader Joe's, and other stores. At the time that I ran the first comparison, Whole Foods was actually cheaper on several items, including packaged salad greens. That remained so for about a month, then TJ's pulled ahead for awhile. It's not a consistent thing; the prices fluctuate, and sometimes WF is cheaper. The only reason I ever go to TJ's' is when I'm stocking up on cheese, because theirs is always cheaper. But I don't like the fact that they bundle a lot of veggies into plastic-wrapped packages, because it's a waste of packaging, and I never need the quantities they're' selling. So in that sense, TJ's is more expensive.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:37 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So you think it tastes good because it's more expensive? It's about the same as Trader Joe's quality wise.
Trader Joe's is gross. Something is off. The meat isn't fresh, for example. The produce? A joke. The microwave foods? Tasteless. I'd rather have Ralphs or Vons.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:43 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Trader Joe's is gross. Something is off. The meat isn't fresh, for example. The produce? A joke. The microwave foods? Tasteless. I'd rather have Ralphs or Vons.
The only good meat at Trader Joe's is chicken (both organic and all-natural). Fresh and very fairly priced.

If you buy any other meat (fresh, marinated, frozen), be prepared to be disappointed.

Best place to buy decent meat without emptying the wallet is Costco, IMO.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
So there was something they didn't carry and that makes the store phony is what you are saying, right? I am not a huge believer in Whole Foods, mainly because my income doesn't tell me to shop there, but I do know they have a lot of wonderful foods, healthy and very upscale. You have to be willing to pay the price,

Old 04-08-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe the store near you (Fairfax and 3rd?) doesn't sell as much meat so there's less of a turnover. The store on Sepulveda and Palms has a lot of business so the meat's always fresh

Old 04-08-2016, 01:54 PM

581 posts, read 920,281 times
Try Vicente Foods next time they'll have an excellent selection of all the ingredients you would need to prepare your caprese. I've been shopping there for years and have never been disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles