U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:00 PM

8,271 posts, read 10,506,470 times

Advertisements

Having known many actors, from their reports---you will absolutely need to get a car and learn to drive to get acting work in the LA Metro.

You will get called for auditions at the last minute (like when they run through all the actors they called without liking them, so they call more), the sites for auditions and shows can easily be 2 hours apart by public transport (like Burbank to Culver City), many routes are shut down or seriously reduced at night (when you'd be working), and many areas are reachable by car only (like houses in the hills) which limits networking, friendships, etc. Not to mention, unless you have lots of money, you may need to live farther out from the action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 12:02 PM

5,605 posts, read 4,158,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Ya know can you people help me out for once instead of being so smug all the time. I swear man what's wrong with all you people on this here website.

It's not that people aren't helping you out, you're just not happy with the answers. You seem to expect people to throw you a "Welcome to California" party including a bunch of "What can we do to make your stay more comfortable" gifts.

It doesn't work that way. Not at all.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:07 PM

210 posts, read 225,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It's not that people aren't helping you out, you're just not happy with the answers. You seem to expect people to throw you a "Welcome to California" party including a bunch of "What can we do to make your stay more comfortable" gifts.

I'm not asking for that, I'm just asking on what's the easiest/cheapest way to go about this?

Old 04-07-2016, 12:07 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,054,897 times
Quote:
I did and got absolutely no results that I was looking for.
Cut and past "trolling mooch" into google and press 'enter.'

Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post

exactly. It's the opposite of that in LA these days. Just trying to be realistic since OP sounds like the typical young person that moves here and ends up living on the street and panhandling on Hollywood Blvd. If all these benefits were being freely handed out we probably wouldn't have one of the biggest homeless populations in the country. OP probably should probably come to visit and see for themelves

Old 04-07-2016, 12:10 PM

15,385 posts, read 8,679,661 times
Quote:
Besides I'm not going to spend hours of my life driving back and forth just for auditions either way. I also said no whining or complaining about tax dollars being spent.

Can I whine and complain about you expecting everyone else to work to support you in your dreeeeeeeeeam, but you aren't willing to sacrifice anything at ALL?

Old 04-07-2016, 12:12 PM

15,385 posts, read 8,679,661 times
Quote:
I did and got absolutely no results that I was looking for.
Or, you got absolutely no results that told you what you wanted to hear?

Old 04-07-2016, 12:12 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Can I whine and complain about you expecting everyone else to work to support you in your dreeeeeeeeeam, but you aren't willing to sacrifice anything at ALL?
Yes you can. What about my dreams that I have spent 20 years working toward that are just starting to materialize? I didn't ask for any hand outs along the way

Old 04-07-2016, 12:14 PM

210 posts, read 225,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Sacrifice? Hey man I have a pretty good living situationhere, lots of friebds and family, and a reliable public transportation system. I'm willing to give that all up just to shoot for the stars. If that's not sacrifice than I don't know what is.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:14 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,441,893 times
Quote:
I HAVE to move to LA to become an actor, I'm desparate, I'm miserable, and theres too many actors in Boston and so little gigs. The only way I'll ever become successful as an actor is if I move to where all the work is.
Go for it!

Quote:
The problem is my family and I have little to no money so I need as much help from the state as I can get to succeed and NO whining to me about taxes. Believe me they're going to a good cause as I cannot stand Boston any longer. I plan on going to LACC with fasfa when I get for Theatre Acting BUT I need to work in LA for at least a year beforehand.
You can make it with the right attitude.

Quote:
Maybe become a waiter? I heard that chicks get better tips than guys do but I'm willing to do anything and everything I can to get by at this point in time.
You will really have to work your a$$ really hard to get a chance, and even harder to hold to it. But if you really is ready to do anything to get there... Just try to stay out of jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or