U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:00 AM

4,505 posts, read 2,782,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Funny voice, great personality, tons of amazing qualities an actor could have.
You actually have a terrible personality

Don't believe everything your friends and family tell you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 09:04 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,449,836 times
Well, if the question is "how to become a resident of CA as soon as possible"... I might suggest to rent a mailbox (real one, not from Post Office) in LA, then fly the next day and go to DMV on the day 1, use your mailbox address for residential address.

From there, just survive the next 1-3-5 years or whatever else is needed. You cannot get any faster to CA than by plane.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,980,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
It's Cali-fonie as in "Beverly Hillbillies"

Old 04-08-2016, 09:16 AM

842 posts, read 1,107,985 times
Potential actors moving to California are a dime a dozen. Even when I was growing up in California I knew several people that had either done extra work or were on an episode or two of some tv show. Naturally, I don't know you or your skills. However, I do know that your story is not a new one.

If you really want to do this, my advice would be to weigh all of your options, humble yourself, and then do what you have to do. You will definitely need a car in L.A., especially since you could be called about auditions at the spur of the moment. You will also need a car to get to your acting jobs if and when you get them. In the meantime, the car would be needed to get to your regular job that will sustain you in the meantime.

If you aren't already in SAG, then you could probably forget it. Not being in SAG-AFTRA already would be a huge hurdle in terms of getting auditions and roles.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:58 AM

210 posts, read 226,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
You actually have a terrible personality

Don't believe everything your friends and family tell you
I have a great personality, just a couple of views that people don't agree with me on. Don't believe everything that people on the Internet tell you.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:13 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,449,836 times
Quote:
Don't believe everything that people on the Internet tell you.
And here's a free advice - don't listen to free advices

Old 04-08-2016, 12:27 PM

210 posts, read 226,680 times
For all of you who think that I'm a mooching bum I'll have ya know that when I was unemployed and broke for several months I never went on food stamps, even when I was practically starbong myself everyday. I had some very nice people in my life that actually fed me good during that time in exchange for me being a good person to them. The reason why things are so different here or rather in LA is because if things go south THAN I have absolutely nothing to fallback on except for maybe a few friends if they were willing to help me, otherwise I'd have to go back home which as you guys can already tell I am not willing to do. I'm a persistant man, I won't take no for an answer. I'm not a mooch, I'm just trying to live my life to the fullest. Would y'all have that attitude towards a Californian who was in the same position as I am?

Old 04-08-2016, 01:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,254,011 times
Look, this is very simple.

[Step 1] Generate a safety fund while in Boston.
[Step 2] Get your headshots / etc while still in Boston.
[Step 3] Move to a crappy area of LA so you can survive on minimal income.
[Step 4] Get a job at Starbucks or wherever will accept someone with no marketable talent.
[Step 5] Start looking for acting jobs.
[Step 6] Slowly transition to acting as your career picks up.

Do you understand how many people do this on weekly basis? Do you know how many of them are 18yr old kids without a clue? If you really are a persistent, wont-take-no type of guy as you claim, you wouldn't be on this forum soliciting feedback from strangers and rebutting everything that you don't want to hear. I mean best of luck man, but based on the past 87 posts, you're not ready in any way, shape, or form.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:06 PM

4,789 posts, read 6,949,239 times
Reality check for Los Angeles.
I suggest the op click on this link, and read the entire thread.
It is surely an eye opener to anyone with stars in their eyes.

Bob

Old 04-08-2016, 01:12 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,025,714 times
Quote:
I won't be out of work for long, believe me!
What is your stage name? Have you had any notable acting roles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or