U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times

Advertisements

A few things to consider:

1. traffic to the coast is more difficult trying to get to the coast than downtown.
2. your budget will only get a you a 1br apartment in most of the nicer areas that you'd consider based on your wants. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but don't count on it.
3. new(er) development in LA usually has a large premium.
4. check out playa vista, just keep in mind that the drive to MDR will be much shorter than downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,480 times
These are really helpful suggestions. Right now we're thinking Culver City, but I'm going to keep checking out a lot of the other places you all have suggested!

Old 04-13-2016, 01:02 AM

110 posts, read 76,658 times
Oh no, please don't come here. There are already too many people moving here.
What you are looking for is just unrealistic.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:14 AM

13,865 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayankh View Post
Nice to haves:
- Clean suburban feel. I get made fun of for this, but I prefer really clean, open, well-kept neighborhood that feels modern.
The St Louis suburbs I've been to are so old, beautiful and leafy....curious as to why you're looking for something so new.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:11 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
This means you will not live anywhere near Downtown LA. I love Downtown, but I don't think its for you.

Theres locations that will meet some, but not all of your needs.

Near impossible on your budget. The ONLY place that fits your needs is the Playa Vista Developments and I think your budget will be impossible. I could be wrong. Literally everywhere else I will suggest is OLD. Nice, but old. Might as well suggest...Culver City and Torrance. Both may be more like a 1 hour commute, but I think North Torrance and Culver City are probably about a 45 minute rush hour drive to Downtown. At night, after 730 pm, more like 20 minutes.

I really don't know what this means. Most people in LA are just people. I've lived in LA my entire 40+ years and have never encountered what you are talking about.

I don't know what the means either, and I get tired of hearing it. If someone has that image of LA in their head(from watching too much TV) than don't move here.

I have always found most people here to be down to earth(and especially the natives), it's recent transplants who are usually on the young side who give off the "LA Attitude", because they also watched too much "Entourage" or "90210".

Old 04-13-2016, 10:56 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
[/b]

I don't know what the means either, and I get tired of hearing it. If someone has that image of LA in their head(from watching too much TV) than don't move here.

I have always found most people here to be down to earth(and especially the natives), it's recent transplants who are usually on the young side who give off the "LA Attitude", because they also watched too much "Entourage" or "90210".
Yep. I am as critical as anyone about LA but 99% of the people I meet are normal down to earth people, especially natives. The ones that aren't are young transplants living in faux luxury apartments in the valley trying to be actors while they live off their parents money while sitting around having pool parties every day.

And I especially don't understand people that have never been here and have these ridiculous opinions about the people and lifestyle yet they still want to move here

Old 04-13-2016, 11:36 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Yep. I am as critical as anyone about LA but 99% of the people I meet are normal down to earth people, especially natives. The ones that aren't are young transplants living in faux luxury apartments in the valley trying to be actors while they live off their parents money while sitting around having pool parties every day.

And I especially don't understand people that have never been here and have these ridiculous opinions about the people and lifestyle yet they still want to move here
Exactly ryan, and congrats on the condo!

I know several LA natives and they get very tired of hearing about "LA Attitude and LA flakes", just as we both said it mostly recent young transplants who are trying to get into acting. The natives and long term transplants view LA as home just like people in other places do. The least "LA attitude" you will find are the natives.

I also don't get the ridiculous attitude. If they feel that way, than don't move here. Why move somewhere where you have a preconceived notion that it is fake and pretentious? No one has to relocate and take a job here or anywhere else.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly ryan, and congrats on the condo!

I know several LA natives and they get very tired of hearing about "LA Attitude and LA flakes", just as we both said it mostly recent young transplants who are trying to get into acting. The natives and long term transplants view LA as home just like people in other places do. The least "LA attitude" you will find are the natives.

I also don't get the ridiculous attitude. If they feel that way, than don't move here. Why move somewhere where you have a preconceived notion that it is fake and pretentious? No one has to relocate and take a job here or anywhere else.
On top of it, even the people with good job offers in hand or ability to work from anywhere are still going to have to downsize their lifestyle to come here due to housing prices and cost of living changes from places like St Louis

Old 04-13-2016, 02:29 PM

5,804 posts, read 3,087,683 times
I get tired of the absolute boy in the bubble level of safety and the prejudice that rape gangs are waiting to snatch you from the curb to your door

Old 04-13-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I get tired of the absolute boy in the bubble level of safety and the prejudice that rape gangs are waiting to snatch you from the curb to your door
Like I said earlier in this thread, St Louis is 100% more dangerous than LA.

St Louis #4 ranked in country for violent crimes with 1678.73 per 100k residents. Los Angeles has 490.71 per 100k in 2015. St Louis #1 murder rate for big cities

FBI’s Violent Crime Statistics For Every City In America CBS Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or