U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:57 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,116,631 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing most/all of those violent crimes happen in the hood. Not in the Rockwellian suburbs of St. Louis. It's the same in Chicago. Stay out of the hood and you'll avoid the crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 03:05 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I'm guessing most/all of those violent crimes happen in the hood. Not in the Rockwellian suburbs of St. Louis. It's the same in Chicago. Stay out of the hood and you'll avoid the crime.
Right. And I'm sure OP isn't planning to move to Compton or South Central

Old 04-13-2016, 03:07 PM

234 posts, read 134,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Like I said earlier in this thread, St Louis is 100% more dangerous than LA.

St Louis #4 ranked in country for violent crimes with 1678.73 per 100k residents. Los Angeles has 490.71 per 100k in 2015. St Louis #1 murder rate for big cities

FBI’s Violent Crime Statistics For Every City In America CBS Chicago
A lot of that has to do with the fact that the crime in STL is ALL concentrated within the city.

There are places in LA like Westwood, Holmby Hills, or Pacific Palisades in LA that are bastions of the wealthy but are still part of LA proper. There is NOTHING like that in the city limits of STL.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:00 PM

13,865 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
There are places in LA....that are bastions of the wealthy but are still part of LA proper. There is NOTHING like that in the city limits of STL.
There are some VERY nice areas of St Louis.

"...it may come as a surprise to those less familiar with St. Louis' west side that River City is also home to three of the richest suburbs in the country, according to a Business Insider study: Town & Country, Ladue and Frontenac."
Wealthiest Suburbs In America - Business Insider

Old 04-13-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There are some VERY nice areas of St Louis.

"...it may come as a surprise to those less familiar with St. Louis' west side that River City is also home to three of the richest suburbs in the country, according to a Business Insider study: Town & Country, Ladue and Frontenac."
Wealthiest Suburbs In America - Business Insider
... Those suburbs are not within St. Louis City limits

If anything that article supports my point because you'll notice there are no LA suburbs on that list. LA money is not nearly as concentrated as other cities. Neither is the crime which dilutes it to much more reasonable levels.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:54 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,116,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Right. And I'm sure OP isn't planning to move to Compton or South Central
That may be true for murders but not crime in general. I don't think you can generalize all of LA county and say that it's as crime free as the St. Louis suburbs. Not that I think it's something to worry about. The OP mentioned safety as one of their main concerns and LA is going to be a different animal compared to where they are coming from.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:43 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
That may be true for murders but not crime in general. I don't think you can generalize all of LA county and say that it's as crime free as the St. Louis suburbs. Not that I think it's something to worry about. The OP mentioned safety as one of their main concerns and LA is going to be a different animal compared to where they are coming from.
I live in Glendale and there is basically 0 crime. Burbank is the same way. I'm moving to Santa Clarita and no crime there. No crime in Simi Valley. I agree with what you're saying but there are many places that are considered parts of LA city, county or suburbs of LA that are as crime free as anywhere in the country

Old 04-13-2016, 07:51 PM

13,865 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
... Those suburbs are not within St. Louis City limits
"Ladue is an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis, located in...."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladue,_Missouri

Old 04-13-2016, 08:50 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Quote:
A lot of that has to do with the fact that the crime in STL is ALL concentrated within the city.
Ferguson, anyone?

Old 04-13-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Ladue is an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis, located in...."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladue,_Missouri

Uhhh are you aware of what a city is?

Ladue is a city. St Louis is a city. Ladue is not in St. Louis city. They are separate municipalities. What's so complicated about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or