U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 11:25 PM

6 posts, read 4,420 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My spouse and I are moving to Los Angeles and we are in serious need of neighborhood recommendations.

We're in our late 20s with no kids and very few friends already in the area, so we want to be in a place that we can meet new people. We aren't in to nightclubs but art galleries/cocktail parties/lounges are more our scene. We both work from home so commuting isn't a factor.

Top priority things:
- Walkability is number one. We want to be able to walk to as much as possible - groceries, cafes, restaurants, shopping, ect.
- We've got two dogs so we need some amount of a yard that they can have access to.
- We have three cars and we want to try to keep all of them, so we need a two car garage plus driveway space ideally.

Other secondary wants that would be nice in order of priority:
- Two bathrooms
- Outdoor living space
- A decent amount of living space since we're both working at home (1300+ sq ft)
- Modern, updated interior

We're thinking we will probably rent for at least the first year, probably a $5k/mo cap.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:40 PM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times
Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Downtown, Santa Monica. With your budget you have options

Old 04-11-2016, 08:05 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,246,616 times
edit

Old 04-11-2016, 08:16 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,246,616 times
Parking 3 cars won't be fun in SM.
Downtown arguably worse for parking, but you could rent additional spots for ~$200/mo.
Los Feliz is a good bet as there are SFRs for rent.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 AM

29 posts, read 18,993 times
Los Angeles is a huge geographic area. What kind of weather are you looking for? It varies greatly. Do you like a lot of diversity? How do you feel about safety?

Old 04-11-2016, 12:16 PM

807 posts, read 657,159 times
With a rental cap at $5K/month, you definitely have a lot of options. Given that you have a bigger budget, I'd consider renting a house especially considering you like a two car garage and a yard.

I'd signup for Westside Rentals, which has a lot of house rental listings. Zillow is not a bad secondary option.

Given your criteria, I'd consider areas such as Los Feliz, Silver Lake, West Hollywood, Westwood, or Brentwood.

In terms of having more space to accommodate 3 vehicles and have a little outdoor yard space, Los Feliz is probably the best option. And you'll probably get a little more bang for your buck there compared to the west side.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:50 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
Renting a house will be your only option since you want parking for 3 cars.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 4,420 times
Thanks for all the input, guys.

@adr3naline That's pretty much what I've found. :/

@Beeceebeach Does the weather really vary from place to place significantly...? Yes on diversity. Safety is kind of eh. We aren't freaked out by a moderate amount of sketch for the right location. I pretty much expect standard city life level of safety.

@socal88 I did find Westside Rentals and that's been awesome. Just asked the few friends we have where they're located and they're mostly Los Feliz, West Hollywood, and Silver Lake.

We're kind of considering selling one of the cars given what we've seen and being able to deal with putting machinery/tools in a shed or one car garage and parking the two we keep in a driveway.

A couple of my friends in the Los Feliz area also said that there are some nice walkable parts of Glendale and Pasadena - how do those neighborhoods compare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or