U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:30 PM

330 posts, read 405,928 times

Advertisements

Congrats on your job! I would personally pass. If I had to spend 50%+ of my net income on housing, it's not worth it. Forget the money, I would rather take 60K job near my home. I had work at UCLA back in 2006. My commute was only 10ish miles from DTLA, never again. I'm sure traffic is alot worse now. I can totally see a bicycle rider zipping by parked cars on the fwy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 01:44 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,598,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesplayhouse View Post
. I don't mind driving 30-40 mins on bad days.

LB to west LA is more than that on a good day.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:17 PM

2,490 posts, read 4,557,788 times
Quote:

West LA is not where I want to live at. All my family lives out in LB, Lakewood, Compton, Bellflower and OC area. I suffer from anxiety so waking up early in the morning knowing I have to commute causes panic attacks. I'm fine once I'm in the car and moving. However I think I would dread everyday, plus the 30k. My current boss would obviously take the 30k back...i dont know.
I suggest looking at less stressful alternate routes other than the 10 and 405 freeways. In many cases San Vicente Blvd is a good alternate surface street.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:40 PM

5,813 posts, read 3,092,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
LB to west LA is more than that on a good day.
Your work parking lot to the first major intersection can easily be 30 minutes in parts of West LA.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 PM

272 posts, read 177,842 times
Quote:
I'll be working near Beverly Hills area off Robertson. I'm renting a small duplex out here in Lakewood but always dreamed of renting and then buying my dream home out here.

I was offered 150k, 30k to relocate for the first year. However all places we looked at were homes ranging from 2,900-3,500 for rent and small apartments nearby for 2,100, however it's a one year lease.

West LA is not where I want to live at. All my family lives out in LB, Lakewood, Compton, Bellflower and OC area. I suffer from anxiety so waking up early in the morning knowing I have to commute causes panic attacks. I'm fine once I'm in the car and moving. However I think I would dread everyday, plus the 30k. My current boss would obviously take the 30k back...i dont know.

I do not want to live in Baldwin Hills....Culver City is great but no home rentals. We are a hispanic family and looking to rent near by work. I don't mind driving 30-40 mins on bad days.

Any suggestions to what cities? I'm not familiar with LA. My friends and family are calling me a wuss for not taking the drive. For 2,600 I could rent an awesome home with pool in lakewood. But I'm too much of a wuss to drive everyday.
You're right for caring about your commute time. You're completely off your rocker if you can't handle driving back and forth to see your family on the weekend. Most people that move have to fly or drive an entire day to see their family.

Baldwin Hills was pretty nice area when I lived in LA.

At some point, gas prices will rise again. What you save in rent now, could be nonexistent in the future.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:36 PM

6 posts, read 4,296 times
Thanks for all the congrats. We were pretty close from getting a cool little house in Westwood on kelton av and was "2nd on the list" only to lose it to a man who is single. I'm taking your suggestions on locations. I'm playing around with google maps departure time feature to get an estimate.

No luck finding any month to month apartments near the area, I seen a fully furnished one but it's 3,500/month. I don't mind living in ratchet apartment if it's month to month. My last option is HP if I can find anything in a 10-15 mile radius.

I start next week so we're thinking of going to airbnb and renting a 2 week rental 40 mins away to see if I can handle the drive. Lakewood to Beverly Hills around 7:20am is estimated at almost 2 hours. 4 hours in traffic is not worth it.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
That's not the most stable business in the world. I think I would make the easiest and most accommodating living arrangements until I saw a stable future.
It's actually really stable if you're good at it, especially for a certain niche. Most read a few blogs and work for a few start ups and suddenly they are seo experts, I've been doing it for the same company for 6 years and was countered offered but for personal reasons turned it down. I now regret that and I doubt offer still stands.

But this type of marketing generates leads for advertisers, in return advertisers sometimes can make up to 10k-800,000k per lead that converts.

I would say I'm more of a lead generator than a seo or ppc guy and if I could sell leads I would be a millionaire, however it's illegal.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:18 PM

585 posts, read 625,400 times
Quote:
It's actually really stable if you're good at it, especially for a certain niche. Most read a few blogs and work for a few start ups and suddenly they are seo experts, I've been doing it for the same company for 6 years and was countered offered but for personal reasons turned it down. I now regret that and I doubt offer still stands.

But this type of marketing generates leads for advertisers, in return advertisers sometimes can make up to 10k-800,000k per lead that converts.

I would say I'm more of a lead generator than a seo or ppc guy and if I could sell leads I would be a millionaire, however it's illegal.
In that case I would tread even more carefully in my Los Angeles living situation/decisions.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:56 AM

I'm thinking of just staying put in my city and driving hours early. I'm a morning person that wakes up before 5am, and offices do not open until 8:30am. So I'm thinking of leaving at 5:45-6 AM to beat the traffic. I will most likely show up an hour early at work, but I could walk to starbucks and work on side projects. Sounds crappy.

But the plan is to build trust like I do with other company where I am able to work flexible hours, since my job does not really require me to be in-house, especially if I'm performing well and bringing in results.

So I'm I crazy for doing the commute from LB to West LA?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:38 AM

27 posts, read 20,536 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of just staying put in my city and driving hours early. I'm a morning person that wakes up before 5am, and offices do not open until 8:30am. So I'm thinking of leaving at 5:45-6 AM to beat the traffic. I will most likely show up an hour early at work, but I could walk to starbucks and work on side projects. Sounds crappy.

But the plan is to build trust like I do with other company where I am able to work flexible hours, since my job does not really require me to be in-house, especially if I'm performing well and bringing in results.

So I'm I crazy for doing the commute from LB to West LA?
It sounds like you made up your mind but you're waiting for someone to change it for you. Well you've come to the right place, lol.

At the end of the day this is about you, the commute is what it is but you seem to have a plan which may work out for you.

Fresh out of college I had an internship opportunity in Santa Monica. My commute was from Cerritos. Mind you this was 2009 and job prospects/economy was crap so I toughed it out and did what I had to do. If this was just a "job" then i would say don't do it. It's seems more of a "career" job which could led to other jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or