Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:14 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Well duh. Of course they should.

That question was answered a few pagesd back.

Because. You know. It's a nice thing to do. And they don't need that extra money anyway.
Yeah all these landlords operating at 3% cap rates in L.A have so much leftover money after paying mortgage , taxes,utils ...they don't know what to do with it.

Only ones that could afford to do that are the charitable types that inherited the building or bought decades ago and paid it off.
Even then the 'break' on rent will probably be $50 or $100 less...not like 1/2 the rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,110,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
The solution is for people to stop coming here.
Or for LA to build vertical and expand transit..

Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,313 times
Anyone hoping for more 'affordable' housing anywhere SoCal needs to stop dreaming since the policies of Brown and his fellow Democrats make that impossible within the state's borders.

There's still plenty of affordable housing in the IE which explains the steady population increases of the past 10+'years as opposed to the dramatic slowdown of inmigration into LA county.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:40 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,390,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Anyone hoping for more 'affordable' housing anywhere SoCal needs to stop dreaming since the policies of Brown and his fellow Democrats make that impossible within the state's borders.

There's still plenty of affordable housing in the IE which explains the steady population increases of the past 10+'years as opposed to the dramatic slowdown of inmigration into LA county.
So the I.E. is not within the state's borders?

Old 04-27-2016, 09:16 AM

73 posts, read 56,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
So the I.E. is not within the state's borders?
Oh dear.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:05 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
Well, it's that time of the yr again for my rent to increase & it's increasing by $100/mo, which is the biggest increase ever. In the past, it's been raised $70-80 (per month), but $100 more EACH MONTH?! So I'll be paying $1505/mo incl. utilities for a 700 sq ft apt in San Bernardino county.

I'm waiting on their reply regarding my trying to get it lower, but it's almost like falling on deaf ears since I rent from a corp. & not a private landlord, so they don't care if you've been a loyal tenant who never caused any trouble, always paid on time, & often been ahead, etc., etc. My rent is the same as the guy who comes into the leasing office today to look at apts.

This is really concerning to me because it's more of a struggle to save up to buy a home, like I'd like to someday, because any $$$ being saved up has to now go to the higher rent. My complex doesn't even tell me why nor how they came up to this new figure. They just say "that's the going rate in today's market", which I guess is the only thing they ever say.

Well, it's that time of the yr again. I just got the email about my annual increase that I always get at this time of the year. My rent increased by $100, which is the biggest increase ever. In the past, it's been raised $70-80 (per month), but $100 more EACH MONTH?!

I'm waiting on their reply regarding my trying to get it lower, but it's almost like falling on deaf ears since I rent from a corp. & not a private landlord, so they don't care if you've been a loyal tenant who never caused any trouble, always paid on time, & often been ahead, etc., etc. My rent is the same as the guy who comes into the leasing office today to look at apts.

A person would struggle to save up to buy a home, like I'd like to someday, because any $$$ being saved up has to now go to the higher rent. My complex doesn't even tell me why nor how they came up to this new figure. They just say "that's the going rate in today's market", which I guess is the only thing they ever say.

OP, you asked will rent ever decrease? Unfortunately, I don't think so. It's even impossible for mine to just stay the same!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
Will rent ever decrease ? Like gas prices lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
When I lived in a apt in Huntington Beach you could only sign a one year lease and every year they raised my rent 100.00 .. Reality is different then percentages and there's no cap on what they can do. My friend in a apt in foothill ranch is going through the exact same thing. She pays her rent on time and never causes trouble they don't care she is forced out of her apt now, who knows what the next renter will be like?? All they want is more money ..It's a horrible messed up system
I'm in the same boat, except I think w/ some major saving, I can still afford it, but I plan this to HOPEFULLY be my last year here.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 04-27-2016 at 09:23 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
I know your pain forever blue. I bought a condo in 02 when I left my crappy 1 bdrm it was 1,100.00 a month now I hear it's starting at 1800,00! And not one utilitie included at least they paid my trash and water. I'm baffled on how renters do it.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I know your pain forever blue. I bought a condo in 02 when I left my crappy 1 bdrm it was 1,100.00 a month now I hear it's starting at 1800,00! And not one utilitie included at least they paid my trash and water. I'm baffled on how renters do it.
Did you mean 2002 or 2012? On a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) basis the rent increase from 02 to 16 was only about 3.6% annually. Inflation over the same period was less but that is still not crazy by LA standards. Though I agree, one nice aspect of owning is you can lock in costs.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:04 PM

73 posts, read 56,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Did you mean 2002 or 2012? On a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) basis the rent increase from 02 to 16 was only about 3.6% annually. Inflation over the same period was less but that is still not crazy by LA standards. Though I agree, one nice aspect of owning is you can lock in costs.
3.6% is nothing outrageous. I've seen rent increase 50% in the last 4 years in some places.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REITS4life View Post
3.6% is nothing outrageous. I've seen rent increase 50% in the last 4 years in some places.
Yes, exactly. What is with the username: do you invest in REITs? or work for a REIT? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles