U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 10:07 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Meanwhile an apt of exactly the same size as mine in a LOWER FLOOR is being rented for 3,500/mo.

Enjoy paying rent in Valley Village.
Nothing you says has any credibility. You don't seem to know where West Hollywood is. You don't know the first thing about investment properties. And you exaggerate or flat out make up 95% of the things you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 12:39 AM

16,471 posts, read 20,002,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There's a real estate investor..who claims to own hundreds of millions in real estate ...who is also a motivational guru type guy named Grant Cardone.
He says he loves to invest in liberal areas because of this reason..it keeps supply down and rents up.
From a transcript of an interview he did for the real estate Podcast bigger pockets.

" Grant: ​The more liberals, the better. Josh: ​Interesting, why is that? Grant: ​Because they don’t like to build. Josh: ​Ah, makes sense. Grant: ​They want to restrict everything. They get their panties in a wad over everything. They want to protect everything and everything the way it is and that makes it very expensive. Look at cities like New York. Josh: ​You’re talking about rent controls and stuff like that as well, though. Grant: ​Like San Francisco, Los Angeles, all these very heavy – I’m not talking about politics here, I’m talking business – where there’s heavy concentration of liberals, you’re going to see extremely high rents"

There is definately a lot of truth to this in L.A No doubt restricted supply is keeping rents high.
I've suspected this for decades, a method to the madness of restricting supply. Malibu has 25 miles of coastline, selfishly coveted by a population 25,000. There's enough coastal space in Malibu to put up 100 mid rises or high rises, enough space to add a half-million to a million people.

Santa Monica? Well that situation is totally hopeless, being a follower of L.A. developments on Skyscraperpage. com, I see they even chopped down a proposed 15 story commercial building in downtown Santa Monica to 8 stories! Perhaps because it was going to block someone's view! A developer proposed an iconic, Gehry-designed 21-story condo tower in Santa Monica, a year or 2 ago, the first high rise to be built since 1970, and oh the screaming and yelling of the Nimby's!!!

A developer was proposing a Manhattan style, high density development, in downtown Hollywood, with some 40-50 story high rises, and the latest I heard: This project must be reviewed by several neighborhood groups before construction can begin! And, anyone's guess when construction will begin, after they chop those buildings down to 10-20 stories? I'm guessing early 2020 for the groundbreaking!

All these 5-6-7 story apartment buildings (I call them Poofers) they're building around the city, remind me of Rome A.D. 64, when Emperor Nero allowed all these unscrupulous developers to build wooden structures in Rome. Then came the great fire, while Nero fiddled! After the fire, no wooden structures could be built in Rome! And is that what the L.A. Government decision-makers are waiting for? With my unreasonable fear of fire, you couldn't pay me to live one of those Poofers!

Last edited by tijlover; 04-15-2016 at 12:51 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 12:18 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,597,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
OK, this guy lost all credibility when he claimed there aren't good colleges in Boston. If there is one thing Boston is known for is the highest concentration of colleges in the US. And a few places you may have heard of like Harvard and MIT.
In the rest of the Anglosphere, they would be properly called Universities. Colleges are the groupings of the disciplines taught in the University. How the East Coast colloquial usage did not stay on the East Coast is beyond me!

Old 04-15-2016, 12:32 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,247,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
In the rest of the Anglosphere, they would be properly called Universities. Colleges are the groupings of the disciplines taught in the University. How the East Coast colloquial usage did not stay on the East Coast is beyond me!
I don't believe this post could get any more waspy.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:48 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,837,055 times
Wow. the rent discussion really turned into a pi55ing contest.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:03 PM

407 posts, read 624,178 times
As a OP of this post .. Let's all stick to the topic of rent !

What's the solutions for old time residents of L.A to survive in L.A ?

Old 04-15-2016, 01:25 PM

234 posts, read 134,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post

Ask yourself why you didn't buy 20 years ago and then cry yourself to sleep.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:39 PM

11,062 posts, read 8,986,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post

Make more money or move to where you can afford?

Old 04-15-2016, 01:55 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,078,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Stay where you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontworryboutit View Post
Why do you and everyone else keep saying that?
Because it's sage advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

Meanwhile in other parts of the world:
For brevity, removed pictures since we don't need to see them again.

But for the love of God-what is the excitement in having that many buildings and corresponding hordes of people all crammed into one place like that? To say that it undercuts whatever shred of pleasure and dignity there is in spending an afternoon at the beach would be like saying the Titanic had a 'bit of a water leak'.

I just have to know. What is it that you find appealing about a place that's so crowded that you literally cannot even put on your pants in the morning without someone else already being in there with you-and not in the fun way?

That makes chickens in an egg farm stuffed into their cages look like a homsteader somewhere in North Dakota in terms of space comparison. Maybe I'm a bit less social than you, but I'd say you were out of your effing skull to think I would even consider VISITING a place like that much less living there.

Why?

Old 04-15-2016, 02:07 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,628,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Because it's sage advice.

For brevity, removed pictures since we don't need to see them again.

But for the love of God-what is the excitement in having that many buildings and corresponding hordes of people all crammed into one place like that? To say that it undercuts whatever shred of pleasure and dignity there is in spending an afternoon at the beach would be like saying the Titanic had a 'bit of a water leak'.

I just have to know. What is it that you find appealing about a place that's so crowded that you literally cannot even put on your pants in the morning without someone else already being in there with you-and not in the fun way?

That makes chickens in an egg farm stuffed into their cages look like a homsteader somewhere in North Dakota in terms of space comparison. Maybe I'm a bit less social than you, but I'd say you were out of your effing skull to think I would even consider VISITING a place like that much less living there.

Why?
The excitement is that you don't need a car to get to 328023803283 different places that are within 2 miles of you and you can also have a much larger number of people facing the ocean.

Two other points I'd like to make. Why is the architecture in 3rd world country much better than LA? 80% of buildings in LA are absolutely HIDEOUS. it's like the architects here just need to be fired.

take Balneário Camboriú in Brazil for example. random google street view images:

and look at the streets:

even though you have a massive amount of buildings, look at the streets. they're like empty compared to LA.

one of the biggest reasons for this is that most of the streets in Brazil are one way so you get from one place to another MUCH faster.

2 way streets like in LA are a mess because you have left/right turns, which blocks people from continuing creating a massive clusterphuk of cars behind it. on a one way street you can turn right or left immediately without having to wait.

oh and dont even get me started on streets without left turn lanes. see: melrose. LOLOLOL

Last edited by YoungTraveler2011; 04-15-2016 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or