Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 10:05 PM

387 posts, read 510,092 times

Advertisements

I went to Claremont today to hike in the hills. I was astonished at the number of hikers i saw. It felt like Runyon Park by Hollywood. The kinda crowd you'd except at Phoenix's famous Camelback mountain.

Today was a wake up call that perhaps most trails in LA, OC, SD must be discovered by the mass popuation/tourist; Yelp definiately being a major source for discovering lowkey hiking spots.

(I personally don't mind a big crowd, but i assume neaeby residents hate when outsiders come and park on their street and liter on the trails, wealthy neighborhoods prefer to keep "their" secret spots private/hidden to maintain it's peacefulness and also greed to feel as they "own" paradise, for example Malibu).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:54 AM

387 posts, read 510,092 times
I guess not many City Data users here hike or have time to

Old 06-19-2016, 02:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,606,885 times
I grew up in SGV and Sturtevant Falls trail at Chantry Flats was a frequent hiking location in the early 80's. I went about 5 years ago, on a weekday no less, and it was insanely packed. Like I have no desire whatsoever to go back there again. I couldn't believe it. Apparently lots of chinese stay at home moms in Arcadia like that trail...the ones that lie and claim they don't understand English when they get selected for a panel for a jury.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:54 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,090,784 times
Ever since Runyon shut down for maintenance I've noticed increased traffic @ Griffith. Most notably, going from the Greek up to the Observatory.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:14 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,806,376 times
I have only been hiking the LA area for 5-6 years. Our regular spots around Glendale/Burbank have always been fairly crowded (Griffith, Brand, Wildwood, Verdugo). Recently moved to SCV and trails there seem even busier. But when we drive out of the city to do some real hiking like trails in Angeles Forrest we can do an entire day hike and not see anyone else. Usually we will pass 2-3 groups on weekends but much different then city hikes where you see someone around every corner. Beyond amount of people, the quality of people are different too. Trails on city parks are 75% full of douche bags and girls in yoga pants with headphones running with no trail etiquette, people loudly talking the whole way and stupid dog owners who don't clean up after their dog or do and still leave the bag on the side of the trail

Old 06-20-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I have only been hiking the LA area for 5-6 years. Our regular spots around Glendale/Burbank have always been fairly crowded (Griffith, Brand, Wildwood, Verdugo). Recently moved to SCV and trails there seem even busier. But when we drive out of the city to do some real hiking like trails in Angeles Forrest we can do an entire day hike and not see anyone else. Usually we will pass 2-3 groups on weekends but much different then city hikes where you see someone around every corner. Beyond amount of people, the quality of people are different too. Trails on city parks are 75% full of douche bags and girls in yoga pants with headphones running with no trail etiquette, people loudly talking the whole way and stupid dog owners who don't clean up after their dog or do and still leave the bag on the side of the trail
You forgot the people blasting music from their hip. Almost as if mankind never invented those ear-specific audio speaker things...

Old 06-20-2016, 10:42 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,806,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
You forgot the people blasting music from their hip. Almost as if mankind never invented those ear-specific audio speaker things...
How did I forget that? That is probably the #1 offense. The entire trail doesn't want to hear your gangsta rap or EMD music. It's especially puzzling when the person is alone. I understand when it's a group but if you are alone why not use headphones? Oh yeah because you are an attention *****

Old 06-20-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
How did I forget that? That is probably the #1 offense. The entire trail doesn't want to hear your gangsta rap or EMD music. It's especially puzzling when the person is alone. I understand when it's a group but if you are alone why not use headphones? Oh yeah because you are an attention *****
Nothing screams false sense of importance more than hip speakers and wearing sunglasses inside. As Larry David once said, "Only two types of people wear sunglasses indoors. Blind people and a**holes."

/rant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles