Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 12:50 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
L.A.'s antiquated zoning factors into this as well, as 72% of L.A. is still zoned for single family homes, and then there's the selfish, anti-density, power-hungry, screaming, crying Nimby's.

To get a new high rise up in Santa Monica would take nothing less than an Act of Congress! Or a high rise or mid rise along the coast anywhere from Oxnard to Laguna. Even Hollywood, what a struggle for a developer to put some density into that city, without the Hollywood Kings and Queens screaming: No way! It's going to block my view of the valley smog!"

It totally stuns me, when I light rail it around L.A. these days to see single family homes at rail stops like Compton, Watts and along the rail stops on the Expo line.
There's a real estate investor..who claims to own hundreds of millions in real estate ...who is also a motivational guru type guy named Grant Cardone.
He says he loves to invest in liberal areas because of this reason..it keeps supply down and rents up.
From a transcript of an interview he did for the real estate Podcast bigger pockets.

" Grant: ​The more liberals, the better. Josh: ​Interesting, why is that? Grant: ​Because they don’t like to build. Josh: ​Ah, makes sense. Grant: ​They want to restrict everything. They get their panties in a wad over everything. They want to protect everything and everything the way it is and that makes it very expensive. Look at cities like New York. Josh: ​You’re talking about rent controls and stuff like that as well, though. Grant: ​Like San Francisco, Los Angeles, all these very heavy – I’m not talking about politics here, I’m talking business – where there’s heavy concentration of liberals, you’re going to see extremely high rents"

There is definately a lot of truth to this in L.A No doubt restricted supply is keeping rents high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 12:52 PM

234 posts, read 202,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There's a real estate investor..who claims to own hundreds of millions in real estate ...who is also a motivational guru type guy named Grant Cardone.
He says he loves to invest in liberal areas because of this reason..it keeps supply down and rents up.
From a transcript of an interview he did for the real estate Podcast bigger pockets.

" Grant: ​The more liberals, the better. Josh: ​Interesting, why is that? Grant: ​Because they don’t like to build. Josh: ​Ah, makes sense. Grant: ​They want to restrict everything. They get their panties in a wad over everything. They want to protect everything and everything the way it is and that makes it very expensive. Look at cities like New York. Josh: ​You’re talking about rent controls and stuff like that as well, though. Grant: ​Like San Francisco, Los Angeles, all these very heavy – I’m not talking about politics here, I’m talking business – where there’s heavy concentration of liberals, you’re going to see extremely high rents"

There is definately a lot of truth to this in L.A No doubt restricted supply is keeping rents high.
OC is quite conservative and has higher rents than LA.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:51 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
If you think he can make 900/mo cf on a single unit condo deal I have plenty of bridges to sell you.

I actually have a pretty good idea what he paid for his condo, what rate he got, and where it's located.

~550k, 3.5%, West Hollywood.

Secondly any conservative underwriting would look something like this

Edit: debt yield should actually be ~5.5% but I don't feel like doing this over.
You're off by a LARGE amount on the purchase price as well as rate & HOA. Also, if I were to ever rent it out, I would never use a management company.

I'm paying less than 3k/mo.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:38 PM

234 posts, read 202,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
You're off by a LARGE amount on the purchase price as well as rate & HOA. Also, if I were to ever rent it out, I would never use a management company.

I'm paying less than 3k/mo.
LOL @ your $550/mo HOA.

It doesn't matter if you use a management company. You still expense a management fee if you have any brains.

Also gl getting $3200/mo for some 650 sf closet. I just checked comps and that's not even close.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...536181021.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...517684445.html

But please, go ahead and show me the pro forma that shows you "milking" your condo like a complete boss.

Last edited by NOIGUY; 04-14-2016 at 04:47 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 04:39 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,964 times
Imagine people with 8 roommates in a 1 bedroom? Bunk bed sales through the roof!

Old 04-14-2016, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 3,594 times
Default It might just be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
Your thoughts .. Is this the effect of $15.00 minimum wage ?

Sky-high apartment rents in Southern California are expected to climb further in coming years, as construction fails to keep up with population and job growth, according to a forecast released Tuesday.
The average rent in Los Angeles County is expected to hit $1,416 a month in 2018, an 8.3% jump from last year, while in Orange County, average rents are likely to rise 9.4% to an average of $1,736, the USC Casden Multifamily Forecast said.

[url=http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/la-fi-casden-forecast-20160412-story.html]Southern California apartment rents are expected to continue rising through 2018 - LA Times[/url]
"It might just be the reason why, sense minimum wage has gone up, prices are inflated everywhere.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Imagine people with 8 roommates in a 1 bedroom? Bunk bed sales through the roof!
hahah...love this response.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:51 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
LOL @ your $550/mo HOA.

It doesn't matter if you use a management company. You still expense a management fee if you have any brains.

Also gl getting $3200/mo for some 650 sf closet. I just checked comps and that's not even close.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...536181021.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...517684445.html

But please, go ahead and show me the pro forma that shows you "milking" your condo like a complete boss.
Did you know that there are slightly bigger 1 bedroom apts in my building renting for close to 5k/mo?

But no need to rent, there are 1 & 2 bed apts in my building worth over a million.

Also, LMAO @ the places you posted. They are not even in WeHo. They are in chit-tier hollywood proper. GTFO with your limited knowledge.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Then we can be just like the workers at FoxConn in China..the manufacturer of the Apple Iphone.
Bunk beds aren't just for kids anymore.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:56 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Did you know that there are slightly bigger 1 bedroom apts in my building renting for close to 5k/mo?
I highly doubt that. You're a serial exaggerator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles