Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 08:54 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,907,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Based on what the market will bear? Well, apparently it will bear quite a lot and force people to live like rats in a cage, because they have no other choice. And yes, I've heard it before: "If you don't like how expensive it is in L.A., move somewhere else." What's missing here is a sense of poor people's reality. If they can't afford to pay $200 more per month in rent, how are they going to be able to afford to move somewhere else?

I'd be fine with "supply and demand" and "whatever the market will bear" as long as the end result wasn't an inevitable increase in either overcrowding, homelessness, or both. Everyone deserves to have a roof over their head. To me that's a basic human right. If someone wants to price hula hoops into the stratosphere, that's fine with me. Hula hoops aren't a necessity and anyone can refuse to buy them. We all need a place to live.

Strange, what you call "entitlement" on my side, I would call a "lack of compassion" on yours.
That place doesn't have to be one of the most expensive cities in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 12:46 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Good point. Everyone needs or likes to have a car to get around, but everyone doesn't need a car that is on the higher end of all cars available like a S500 Mercedes or something.

Yeah it sucks that people get priced out of an area, especially if they grew up there or have been there a long time. But on the other hand what is the solution?
Prices are so high now that even if they were a lot lower they would still be too high.
Just like that Mercedes S500...even if the dealership discounted it ...it would still be too expensive for most car buyers.
Median household income in L.A is $56,000 per family.

"The median price for homes sold across the City of Los Angeles last month was $575,000. That’s 8.5% higher when compared to March of last year, according to Redfin."
Source; March Real Estate Results: Eastside buyers faced rising prices and competition | The Eastsider LA

The best solution if you can't afford prices is to move. Yes it's politically incorrect to say I guess...but if someone could only afford a used Ford , it would be crazy for them to be trying to shop at a Mercedes dealership.
You could be waiting and waiting...but the Mercedes dealership is never going to offer a new Mercedes for the price of a used Ford.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:38 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,173,492 times
Quote:
How did you only read that one sentence and skip the rest of the post entirely?

Old 04-17-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
How did you only read that one sentence and skip the rest of the post entirely?
Because was the only sentence in the whole PC diatribe worth addressing.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:10 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,173,492 times
Quote:
Because was the only sentence in the whole PC diatribe worth addressing.
Ah, "PC." Thanks for letting us know that you have nothing of merit to offer the conversation.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Ah, "PC." Thanks for letting us know that you have nothing of merit to offer the conversation.
Puh-puh-please don't add me to your blocked list too, s-sir

Old 04-17-2016, 02:14 PM

234 posts, read 201,494 times
Quote:
Puh-puh-please don't add me to your blocked list too, s-sir

Hahaha haha

Old 04-17-2016, 03:44 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,801,280 times
Nobody has a god given right to live in LA or SF or NYC etc. There are plenty of places with much lower cost of living that still have viable economies with jobs.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:38 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Nobody has a god given right to live in LA or SF or NYC etc. There are plenty of places with much lower cost of living that still have viable economies with jobs.
Right and if you could comfortably live in LA on minimum wage what would be someone's motivation to advance themselves? I think sometimes being in a high cost area can actually be motivating to advance themselves even more

Old 04-18-2016, 11:15 AM

437 posts, read 809,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Good point. Everyone needs or likes to have a car to get around, but everyone doesn't need a car that is on the higher end of all cars available like a S500 Mercedes or something.

Yeah it sucks that people get priced out of an area, especially if they grew up there or have been there a long time. But on the other hand what is the solution?
Prices are so high now that even if they were a lot lower they would still be too high.
Just like that Mercedes S500...even if the dealership discounted it ...it would still be too expensive for most car buyers.
Median household income in L.A is $56,000 per family.

"The median price for homes sold across the City of Los Angeles last month was $575,000. That’s 8.5% higher when compared to March of last year, according to Redfin."
Source; March Real Estate Results: Eastside buyers faced rising prices and competition | The Eastsider LA

The best solution if you can't afford prices is to move. Yes it's politically incorrect to say I guess...but if someone could only afford a used Ford , it would be crazy for them to be trying to shop at a Mercedes dealership.
You could be waiting and waiting...but the Mercedes dealership is never going to offer a new Mercedes for the price of a used Ford.

You can't exactly compared desiring to own luxury cars and regular cars . That's a choice even to own a car . There are people don't even own car

There are people in L.A that has family and strong ties to the city and when they move, it's going to be hard not miss their native city and family and friends etc.. .

I'm not talking of transplants they can chose to leave and go as they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles