Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:13 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by REITS4life View Post
Wasn't there some post you had showing pictures of skyscrapers by the beach and wanting LA to look like that?
we can totally do that, as long as we fire the entire transportation department because they have all failed traffic engineering class & change main streets like Olympic, Santa Monica Blvd, Pico, La Cienega, etc. to one-way streets.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 04:24 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Inmigration into the city of LA continues to decline since the state's housing policies favor apartments over SFRs by a very wide margin, and worsens the availability of land for SFRs which consumers favor by an equally wide or even wider margin, resulting in millions of folks leaving the state as they've been doing for ages according to the Censud Bureau and numerous demographers have poinred out for communities where SFR construction and other family-friendly policies are the rule.

TRULY affordable housing in this state is impossible to produce thanks to our Governor and his fellow no-growth zealots who've ruled the roost going back to his first stint as Governor.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:13 PM

285 posts, read 377,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Well, it's that time of the yr again for my rent to increase & it's increasing by $100/mo, which is the biggest increase ever. In the past, it's been raised $70-80 (per month), but $100 more EACH MONTH?! So I'll be paying $1505/mo incl. utilities for a 700 sq ft apt in San Bernardino county.

I'm waiting on their reply regarding my trying to get it lower, but it's almost like falling on deaf ears since I rent from a corp. & not a private landlord, so they don't care if you've been a loyal tenant who never caused any trouble, always paid on time, & often been ahead, etc., etc. My rent is the same as the guy who comes into the leasing office today to look at apts.

This is really concerning to me because it's more of a struggle to save up to buy a home, like I'd like to someday, because any $$$ being saved up has to now go to the higher rent. My complex doesn't even tell me why nor how they came up to this new figure. They just say "that's the going rate in today's market", which I guess is the only thing they ever say.

Well, it's that time of the yr again. I just got the email about my annual increase that I always get at this time of the year. My rent increased by $100, which is the biggest increase ever. In the past, it's been raised $70-80 (per month), but $100 more EACH MONTH?!

I'm waiting on their reply regarding my trying to get it lower, but it's almost like falling on deaf ears since I rent from a corp. & not a private landlord, so they don't care if you've been a loyal tenant who never caused any trouble, always paid on time, & often been ahead, etc., etc. My rent is the same as the guy who comes into the leasing office today to look at apts.

A person would struggle to save up to buy a home, like I'd like to someday, because any $$$ being saved up has to now go to the higher rent. My complex doesn't even tell me why nor how they came up to this new figure. They just say "that's the going rate in today's market", which I guess is the only thing they ever say.

OP, you asked will rent ever decrease? Unfortunately, I don't think so. It's even impossible for mine to just stay the same!!!

I'm in the same boat, except I think w/ some major saving, I can still afford it, but I plan this to HOPEFULLY be my last year here.
They're not renting to you at the market rate, which for San Bernardino would be about 800 a month, the same as Vegas. They're rent is an artificially increased rent due to rent maximizing software. Vegas has their own, local property managers who don't use the software.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:16 AM

218 posts, read 350,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
They're not renting to you at the market rate, which for San Bernardino would be about 800 a month, the same as Vegas. They're rent is an artificially increased rent due to rent maximizing software. Vegas has their own, local property managers who don't use the software.
So does Phoenix.

This seems to be a very popular topic here.

The kooks at the corps - the kooks running the corporate apartment complexes in california.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Rents will continue to increase, as long as demand continues to increase.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:41 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Rents will continue to increase, as long as demand continues to increase.
For how much longer, though?

Old 06-11-2016, 11:56 AM

368 posts, read 365,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Bottom line is there's still a ton of demand for infill LA as hiring has improved and east coasters continue to flee nasty winters back east. Compared to the last 3 years which has seen annual mid-to-high single digit growth in some areas, the rate of growth will likely decelerate, but until there's enough new housing supply to reasonably offset demand, I don't see rents stagnating any time soon.

LA is going to need to start going more vertical more I'm afraid. Also, it doesn't help that LA is a major safe haven for foreign capital especially from Asia, pushing home prices and some other real estate assets up because they've got so much cash to spread around.
If you hit these FOREIGN investors with a huge excise tax,this would stop. And every normal,working Joe can afford a home here. A 2bdr/1 bath 1100 Sqft home in Lake Balboa? 700k? ****ing ridiculous.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
If you hit these FOREIGN investors with a huge excise tax,this would stop. And every normal,working Joe can afford a home here. A 2bdr/1 bath 1100 Sqft home in Lake Balboa? 700k? ****ing ridiculous.
Repealing Prop 13 would also stop it. As would raising interest rates, repealing the mortgage interest deduction, and increasing the supply a lot more.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:18 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Repealing Prop 13 would also stop it. As would raising interest rates, repealing the mortgage interest deduction, and increasing the supply a lot more.
Hey there real estate genius, we're all still waiting for your prediction of Porter Ranch turning into Pacoima to come true.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:38 PM

271 posts, read 214,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
For how much longer, though?
If you could answer that with 100% certainty you would never have to work a day in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles