U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 01:39 PM

24,151 posts, read 13,668,407 times

Advertisements

I was driving through Sunset Strip last night and saw huge towers under construction.
Right across from Pink Dot

It's this project
8490 West Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069, USA
CIM Group | Home / Investments / Sunset La Cienega

Mixed use project spanning two whole city blocks.
It's crazy because it hadn't been that long ago that I had been through that area and the towers seem to have just popped up.

I'm guessing this got approved since it's in West Hollywood which has it's own mayor , city council etc.

This is totally going to change the entire look of the sunset strip. Not sure if for better or worse .
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:03 PM

3,168 posts, read 3,032,014 times
What was "huge" about them? From the drawing you linked, it looks as though they are large, blocky type buildings perhaps with a lot of square footage.
Was that your impression from your street view? Massive square footage as in taking up an entire block each?
I was disappointed at that drawing because I was thinking in terms of skyscraper towers when I read your "huge" but height is not the only way to think in terms of "huge".

Old 04-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
What was "huge" about them? From the drawing you linked, it looks as though they are large, blocky type buildings perhaps with a lot of square footage.
Was that your impression from your street view? Massive square footage as in taking up an entire block each?
I was disappointed at that drawing because I was thinking in terms of skyscraper towers when I read your "huge" but height is not the only way to think in terms of "huge".
Big and relatively tall for the area. But no not like Manhattan height.
Hard to tell from looking at the renderings online.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:26 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
When I first heard about this construction I was excited to have more housing and shopping in my neck of the woods, but it's just luxury condos/apartments and boutique/high end fashion shops with little appeal to regular people.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:03 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,246,616 times
The area needs more developments like this, in my opinion. NIMBYs throttling residential development is only accelerating rent increases across the existing infrastructure.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:05 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,779,994 times
New hotel going up at Sunset and Doheney.
I have been hearing about a hotel construction across from the Whiskey but that's been dragging on for years and years. People are making out like bandits doing the Air BnB thing so I can see how there is demand for new hotels.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:33 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,335,399 times
Here is a link to skyscraperpage's LA site. Page 351 halfway down is an aerial picture of Sunset Strip with the buildings under construction. It is a few months old.

LOS ANGELES | METRO Project Rundown 2.0 (non-downtown) - Page 351 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 04-14-2016, 04:05 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,627,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I was driving through Sunset Strip last night and saw huge towers under construction.
Right across from Pink Dot

It's this project
8490 West Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069, USA
CIM Group | Home / Investments / Sunset La Cienega

Mixed use project spanning two whole city blocks.
It's crazy because it hadn't been that long ago that I had been through that area and the towers seem to have just popped up.

I'm guessing this got approved since it's in West Hollywood which has it's own mayor , city council etc.

This is totally going to change the entire look of the sunset strip. Not sure if for better or worse .
hope they also get rid of the old/hideous low rise residential buildings across the street from it and put something nice there as well.

edit: this building -

Old 04-14-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
hope they also get rid of the old/hideous low rise residential buildings across the street from it and put something nice there as well.

edit: this building -
It's funny you mentioned that...I was looking at them just last night..and I noticed a bunch of the windows were boarded up..Not sure what the deal is with the building. Definitely a pretty run down structure in the middle of prime real estate.
Not sure if it's a condo or apt building.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
When I first heard about this construction I was excited to have more housing and shopping in my neck of the woods, but it's just luxury condos/apartments and boutique/high end fashion shops with little appeal to regular people.
Yeah , sounds like there will be a hotel there too.
More likely it will appeal to tourists and the shops will probably also be frequented by tourists as well.
I know it's been talked about for a while that there is a lack of hotels in the area....so it's not surprising a hotel will be built there.

Looks like the former House of Blues on Sunset will also be a hotel
New Look at the Hotel That Will Take Out the Sunset Strip House of Blues - Curbed LA

Again , nice for tourists with spending money ...but not much to see for locals.

The area of course has been high end in general for a while being right next to Beverly Hills..but looks like it's just be going more upscale in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or