U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,176,648 times
Reputation: 1562

Advertisements

scroll down to the bottom of pg 10 if you don't feel like reading the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2016, 04:58 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,176,648 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Right , but what is enough notice ? 15 minutes ? An hour ? A week ? A month ?
What will happen of course is that cops just won't bother doing anything and things will just get worse . Cops can only do what they are told , and it's clear the message from their higher ups is to not do anything about the situation .

As for already having people in jail , if they break a law I think they should be in jail , homeless or not .

It sounds great to just let the homeless to what they want . But would you want homeless camped out right in front of your house or business ? Would you want to clean up after their mess?
Quote:
" Additionally, where the City plans to engage in a mass cleanup of an area in
Skid Row or its surrounding areas, the City must provide 24 hours advance
notice advising homeless people of the cleanup and possible seizure of
property and advising such individuals to remove essential property that they
do not want confiscated."
boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,322 posts, read 13,801,620 times
Reputation: 11491
We know what will happen in practice. Cops won't want to deal with doing the paperwork ,etc to give the notice. They are also saying the city will have to provide storage for the "belongings" of the homeless...
Do you really think that makes any sense?
"Sure we'll store your 7 shopping carts full of stuff!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 10:58 AM
 
387 posts, read 271,794 times
Reputation: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
We know what will happen in practice. Cops won't want to deal with doing the paperwork ,etc to give the notice. They are also saying the city will have to provide storage for the "belongings" of the homeless...
Do you really think that makes any sense?
"Sure we'll store your 7 shopping carts full of stuff!"
Think of the costs. The city has to send out a truck and at least a couple of guys to load up the homeless' illegal campground. There has to be an officer present to oversee the whole thing and make sure things don't get out of hand. Two cops, actually, since they work in pairs.

Now they load up the truck and take it to a storage facility where, once again, the taxpayer covers the bill. After the allotted time is up and about 20 bureaucrats have signed off on dumping the stuff (at their breakneck, get-as-much-as-possible-done, don't-take-advantage-of-this-cushy-taxpayer-funded-job speeeeed) now you bring the garbage hauling company in (No doubt working on a fat, cushy contract that some fat, cushy government official signed off on with a nice kickback).

10's of 1000's of taxpayer $$$$$ wasted for what? Because some druggie loser can't get their s**t together and keep their life possessions from being stored on public property that we all, as a society, agreed on is meant for the public good and not for storing some druggies collection of trash?

Bravo, libs. Bravo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
752 posts, read 597,875 times
Reputation: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Think of the costs. The city has to send out a truck and at least a couple of guys to load up the homeless' illegal campground. There has to be an officer present to oversee the whole thing and make sure things don't get out of hand. Two cops, actually, since they work in pairs.

Now they load up the truck and take it to a storage facility where, once again, the taxpayer covers the bill. After the allotted time is up and about 20 bureaucrats have signed off on dumping the stuff (at their breakneck, get-as-much-as-possible-done, don't-take-advantage-of-this-cushy-taxpayer-funded-job speeeeed) now you bring the garbage hauling company in (No doubt working on a fat, cushy contract that some fat, cushy government official signed off on with a nice kickback).

10's of 1000's of taxpayer $$$$$ wasted for what? Because some druggie loser can't get their s**t together and keep their life possessions from being stored on public property that we all, as a society, agreed on is meant for the public good and not for storing some druggies collection of trash?

Bravo, libs. Bravo.
I don't see how "libs" have anything to do with everything else in your post. It really sounded like a statement that was crammed in just to force in an inconsequential point of view.

Even without the order, the same cost factors are going to be in play. If anything, 24h notice may actually cut the final cost in labor and equipment by encouraging some of the homeless to self-deport with at least some of their stuff. I think this dispersal of homeless people would make it harder for the city to track messes or even cause outgrowths of multiple new, smaller camps elsewhere but your post only indicated concerns with the cleanup of large camps.

What you have actually described is the generic cost of homelessness to society at large. None of that has any unique bearing to this post's topic about the judge demanding 24h warning. As for actually "solving" homelessness? Beats me, the obvious solutions are either ethically reasonable but costs too much time and money, or can be quickly accomplished but still cost too much money as well as running afoul of a lot of ethical standards, or my favorite class of the best 'solutions' that are fast, ethical, moderately expensive and yet impossible to accomplish in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 11:35 AM
 
4,037 posts, read 8,329,032 times
Reputation: 2876
Again, best solution is to have the homeless camp out in front of judge Otero's residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,322 posts, read 13,801,620 times
Reputation: 11491
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Again, best solution is to have the homeless camp out in front of judge Otero's residence.
We should all pitch in to rent a big bus to transport them from Skid Row or the mini skid rows across L.A right to his house. I think it's an excellent idea!

Being a big high powered judge I'm sure the tax payers are paying him quite nicely and he can afford a very nice home. I'm sure there are some nice trees that the homeless can use as urinals too, like i've seen them doing in public parks.

Probably a nice big lawn they can spread out their belongings on and it's probably a nice quite area where they can drink some malt liquor and/or shoot up or have sex.

I'm sure that his neighbors won't mind their kids walking and seeing used needles ,condoms or empty beer cans or smelling certain smells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 23,033,012 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Again, best solution is to have the homeless camp out in front of judge Otero's residence.
Glendale PD would never allow this, and this ruling doesn't affect Glendale where Otero lives. Only LA

Ryan Carter A Glendale man and former local Superior... - tribunedigital-glendalenews-press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 03:37 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,309,159 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Glendale PD would never allow this, and this ruling doesn't affect Glendale where Otero lives. Only LA

Ryan Carter A Glendale man and former local Superior... - tribunedigital-glendalenews-press
It's got nothing to do with the local PDs- the geographic scope of the TRO application is clearly defined.

FFS people, try reading the order. Just try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2016, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 23,033,012 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
It's got nothing to do with the local PDs- the geographic scope of the TRO application is clearly defined.

FFS people, try reading the order. Just try.
It has EVERYTHING to do with the local PDs - the geographic scope is the city of Los Angeles, not the city of Glendale or any other city.

Thus, the cops where Otero lives can continue to keep order, while in the big bad city of L.A. the cops have to surrender to the homeless.

As if there are not already enough reasons to not move to nor open a business in L.A. City...

http://michaelkohlhaas.org/wp/wp-con...injunction.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top