Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:26 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times

Advertisements

What's needed is less talk, more critical thinking and a street sweeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 PM

477 posts, read 276,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspam2015 View Post
Just moved back to LA after about 20 years. Unbelievable how bad the problem with the homeless (i.e., the bums and vagrants) has become. Love how they stench up the sidewalks by urinating and defecating where they please. Love how they camp out on the benches meant for people waiting for buses. Love their "constitutional rights."
Welcome back! I've just done the same, just not after 20 years. You should walk around San Francisco city hall, the whole area reeks of urine. I was utterly amazed with the level of tolerance those who work there must possess.

There is NOTHING, NOTHING that guarantees someone has a "right" to live wherever they want if they cannot afford it. There are cheaper cities in the heartland of the country that many of the homeless could be relocated to. I'd fully approve the use of my tax dollars used for the fuel for one way airlifts to Alaska for indigent people, even building them camps they'd have to work to sustain. No property taxes, just manpower for the generators and water wells, gardens and barn-raising.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:58 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
This is what happens when wackadoodle liberal goverment allows bums to take over the city.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
Welcome back! I've just done the same, just not after 20 years. You should walk around San Francisco city hall, the whole area reeks of urine. I was utterly amazed with the level of tolerance those who work there must possess.

There is NOTHING, NOTHING that guarantees someone has a "right" to live wherever they want if they cannot afford it. There are cheaper cities in the heartland of the country that many of the homeless could be relocated to. I'd fully approve the use of my tax dollars used for the fuel for one way airlifts to Alaska for indigent people, even building them camps they'd have to work to sustain. No property taxes, just manpower for the generators and water wells, gardens and barn-raising.
Land in Alaska is either privately or publically owned. You cannot just send homeless people there. The same is true for other parts of the country.

Homeless people in SF and LA cannot AFFORD to live ANYWHERE with NO INCOME. Those that are severely mentally ill may never be able to work, and others will need treatment to be able to function properly (and return to the workforce).

Other people end up going homeless due to economic issues.

Lastly why do you think people in the heartland would allow California to dump it's problems on them? Why do you think Alaska would?

Or and homeless people are going to be able to grow enough food to sustain themselves in frozen Alaska? What are you smoking? Alaska for obvious weather related reasons is not prime agricultural land. Where you do have prime agricultural land it is privately owned and farmed. California is one of the leading producers of food worldwide and definitely the top producer in the United States.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
It's bad all along the west coast. Seriously, The feds are so far away they don't understand the problem. Visit the SF, Seattle, Denver, Portland, Honolulu, and San Diego forums some time. It's so sad. It's basically legal to be homeless. I have a family member who is homeless so I care deeply about these problems. I would love to start a petition for the federal government to address these issues but it will probably get buried in the news cycle. I want the constitution to protect everybody, and the homeless have constitutional rights as well. At the same time, homelessness is so far down the totem pole in terms of whats wrong with America that it'll take mass protest to resolve the issue.
New York these days is the homeless capital of the nation, and the homeless population is still growing.

Agreed that it will take mass protests. Some of that is already happening (see the rise of Bernie Sanders).

Old 04-17-2016, 09:03 AM

198 posts, read 211,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspam2015 View Post
Just moved back to LA after about 20 years. Unbelievable how bad the problem with the homeless (i.e., the bums and vagrants) has become. Love how they stench up the sidewalks by urinating and defecating where they please. Love how they camp out on the benches meant for people waiting for buses. Love their "constitutional rights."
There should be some emergency action (order) to "rid" the problem...not clog the courts....want something NOT to get, get a court order....there will be motion after endless motion...nothing will happen.

I too after many many years have been driving through and around LA during to working on other side of city...it is despicable and shameful....
Someone mentions the homeless in NY, well NY and many other more northern cities have something LA does not have...bad weather and thus provides homeless "shelters" due to this.
LA should very much be concerned, I would think that this would affect the travel/tourist industry....as word passes along.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:07 AM

198 posts, read 211,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
This is what happens when wackadoodle liberal goverment allows bums to take over the city.
They want the home owners and tax payers to pay for it....I worked for LAC/USC many years ago...they took money out of my paycheck to pay for homeless medical care....

Old 04-17-2016, 11:53 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Saw this today...does anyone think this is acceptable?. This is not a rare sight in L.A these days.

Does anyone in this group want to volunteer to "catalog" this stuff? Or do you think the homeless are actually going to 'catalog' this stuff?
Let's get real.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:58 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Saw this today...does anyone think this is acceptable?. This is not a rare sight in L.A these days.

Does anyone in this group want to volunteer to "catalog" this stuff? Or do you think the homeless are actually going to 'catalog' this stuff?
Let's get real.
Moreover, stolen shopping carts (and who knows what else is likely stolen) is not even "their" stuff.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Moreover, stolen shopping carts (and who knows what else is likely stolen) is not even "their" stuff.
Yeah but it's OK to steal if you are " homeless" I guess . Also to drink in public and a bunch of other things .
Because " well what can we do .. They have rights "
More rights than non homeless it looks like in LA these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles