U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 11:58 PM

415 posts, read 162,386 times

Advertisements

MordinSolus, what do you do for a living, if you don't mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 12:16 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
MordinSolus, what do you do for a living, if you don't mind?
I own a few small businesses but I live off my investment income and don't keep regular working hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
How come you refuse to answer my questions?

I really want you to tell me how much should a 16 year old grocery bagger get paid in both Calexico and LA. It can be the same $ amount I don't care. I just want you to answer the question.
I already explained that the COL is different from state to state and city to city, which is why states and cities are free to set their own minimum wage. But you chose to ignore that to continue your strawman arguments.

Blocked.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:00 AM

234 posts, read 134,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I own a few small businesses but I live off my investment income and don't keep regular working hours.

I already explained that the COL is different from state to state and city to city, which is why states and cities are free to set their own minimum wage. But you chose to ignore that to continue your strawman arguments.

Blocked.
Rofl. This guy gets his panties in a bunch whenever anyone tries to discuss anything with him. Why bother even interacting on a message board?

Old 04-17-2016, 08:39 AM

556 posts, read 539,111 times
Quote:
Nice strawmen, but I don't play that game.

The point of the minimum wage to provide a living wage. The COL is not the same everywhere, and that's why states and cities are free to increase it beyond the federal number. The COL is higher in Los Angeles than many other places but the COL isn't nothing elsewhere. Individuals' educational circumstances certainly have no bearing on the COL, and to suggest otherwise is completely moronic and classist. Unless you'd like for America to institute a caste system, where the less fortunate are subject to harsher treatment and the wealthy are given even more of a leg up? Is that your vision of America?
But... But, you can't call someone out for using a strawman argument and the refute his claim with strawman fallacy.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
But... But, you can't call someone out for using a strawman argument and the refute his claim with strawman fallacy.
I didn't. NOIGUY seems to think that age and education should determine how much or how little money people need to live on.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:40 PM

865 posts, read 593,736 times
Quote:
I didn't. NOIGUY seems to think that age and education should determine how much or how little money people need to live on.
It may not determine how much you need to live on but it will determine how much you will get paid. Experience and education usually drive one's worth. The problem is that people treat minimum wage jobs as careers instead of stepping stones. A job at McDs was never meant to be able to support a family. Even their commercials show teenagers working the cash register and not someone of middle age.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
It may not determine how much you need to live on but it will determine how much you will get paid. Experience and education usually drive one's worth. The problem is that people treat minimum wage jobs as careers instead of stepping stones. A job at McDs was never meant to be able to support a family. Even their commercials show teenagers working the cash register and not someone of middle age.
It must be nice to live in a fantasy world, but the rest of us live in the really real world. A job in fast food doesn't catapult hard workers into high-income industries. And 2- and 4-year degrees mean less and less these days, so going into debt to get an education while working is not paying off as it once did.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:57 PM

865 posts, read 593,736 times
Quote:
It must be nice to live in a fantasy world, but the rest of us live in the really real world. A job in fast food doesn't catapult hard workers into high-income industries. And 2- and 4-year degrees mean less and less these days, so going into debt to get an education while working is not paying off as it once did.
Who says fast food is going to catapult one into high-income industries? These jobs were meant for teenagers and college students trying to learn responsibilities and earn some income. For the most part, those with high incomes generally are highly educated or highly driven. Someone who treats a McDs job as a career are neither.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:13 PM

234 posts, read 134,767 times
Quote:
Who says fast food is going to catapult one into high-income industries? These jobs were meant for teenagers and college students trying to learn responsibilities and earn some income. For the most part, those with high incomes generally are highly educated or highly driven. Someone who treats a McDs job as a career are neither.
Concepts like this are hard for the liberals living in their fantasy land to understand.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Again, this is the real world. The adult fast food workers are real. And where does this notion that fast food workers are "supposed" to be teenagers and students come from? That's nonsense and it has no relevance whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or