U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2016, 06:53 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,353,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Terms like "cursed" take away from accountability. It's always someone else's fault that one didn't achieve more than the minimum wage. Success is not always measured in large sums of money, btw. And yes, I'm so disconnected from reality growing up on welfare, working minimum wage in HS, taking massive student loans to attend undergrad and beyond. What do I know about sacrifices and hard work?
More platitudes, and now strawmen.

Blocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 06:57 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,139,945 times
One good thing about $15 minimum wage is we don't have to tip anymore.

As far as non college graduates working in any of the construction trades they can forget that. Illegal aliens have completely taken over all of those jobs.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 04-17-2016 at 07:08 PM..

Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 PM

234 posts, read 134,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
More platitudes, and now strawmen.

Blocked.
Why even bother posting in this thread. You want to live in your own echo chamber where nobody can disagree with you then just stick to Facebook.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 PM

10,325 posts, read 6,380,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post

As far as non college graduates working in any of the construction trades they can forget that. Illegal aliens have completely taken over all of those jobs.
Mmmm. I have two sons in their 30's with high school diplomas only. Both work in the trades. One lives on a boat like his dad, and loves socking the $35+ hourly money away for early retirement, instead of paying a mortgage. Has one daughter.

Other son has advanced to foreman and makes about $80k annual. Has bought two houses in the past eight years. Rents one lives in the other with wife and two kids.

Neither are illegal aliens. Just worker-bee white boys from planet earth.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:04 PM

24,169 posts, read 13,685,578 times
Quote:
Terms like "cursed" take away from accountability. It's always someone else's fault that one didn't achieve more than the minimum wage. Success is not always measured in large sums of money, btw. And yes, I'm so disconnected from reality growing up on welfare, working minimum wage in HS, taking massive student loans to attend undergrad and beyond. What do I know about sacrifices and hard work?
There is something really patronizing about someone that claims to be financially successful themselves but feels like some people are destined or cursed to just minimum wage work their whole entire lives.

It's like " well yeah of course I make good money , but not everyonr can be like ME!"
It's a pretty arrogant attitude .

Everyone knows the steps needed to make more money , but not everyone is willing to do it .

Then you have these very rich people like Hillary Clinton going around making $220,000 a speech and saying she's fighting for minimum wage workers to make $15 hour!

People shouldn't be thinking how can they make $15 hr , they should be thinking how can they make money like Hillary .
She shouldn't be telling people to fight for $15 she should be telling the story of how she became financially successful and how it's possible to come from humble beginnings and become a millionaire like her and her husband .
Instead she is ashamed of her wealth and is uncomfortable talking about it, which really helps and inspires nobody to achieve financial success .

Old 04-17-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
People shouldn't be thinking how can they make $15 hr , they should be thinking how can they make money like Hillary .
Sure thing jm. Everybody can do it if they just roll up their sleeves like Hillary did!

Lord but there's some deep ignorance in these threads. Sure thing all minimum wage workers can have high paying jobs if they just follow the jm and 3ships plan. Millions and ten's of millions of high paying jobs available. No one needs to flip burgers!

Old 04-17-2016, 08:13 PM

24,169 posts, read 13,685,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Sure thing jm. Everybody can do it if they just roll up their sleeves like Hillary did!

Lord but there's some deep ignorance in these threads. Sure thing all minimum wage workers can have high paying jobs if they just follow the jm and 3ships plan. Millions and ten's of millions of high paying jobs available. No one needs to flip burgers!
Funny you just mentioned your sons only have a high school diploma and have a trade and work hard and make good money ..

But I guess they are better right? ..

As for the burger flippers . The robots are coming for those jobs

Old 04-17-2016, 09:22 PM

865 posts, read 594,100 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

I never said high paying jobs. Careers include such trades in construction, auto mechanic, medical assistant, etc. If one is flipping burgers from 21 to 35 years of age, there's definitely something lacking in the ambition department. The point is that flipping burgers was never meant to be a career. Follow along.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I never said high paying jobs. Careers include such trades in construction, auto mechanic, medical assistant, etc. If one is flipping burgers from 21 to 35 years of age, there's definitely something lacking in the ambition department. The point is that flipping burgers was never meant to be a career. Follow along.
Correct. You did not say high paying jobs. Jm encouraged that all who labor lowly should be setting their sights lofty - like Hillary! And you enjoin the mythology that there is something "low class" about low paying employment. It is a snotty attitude, frankly, that associates personal worth with profession or lack thereof. Your posts reek of this commonplace arrogance, failing to acknowledge that an individual's "worth" is a far deeper and more complex concept than income level.

Your rags to riches personal claims of sweat and sacrifice are all about getting the big paycheck. Frankly unimpressive as your total lack of graciousness and understanding of the role of even luck in every person's life could not be more apparent.

Examples of luck? They can range from race, socio-economic background, who you know or met along the paths of life, being born with certain talents and propensities, born with a natural outgoing personality, and yes, even being born with a higher intellect level than some others. Which of those and a longer list than I care to rattle off is the case for you to have brought you financial success, I wouldn't know. But it is clear you lack psychological insight to life and a true grasp of the meaning of "worth".

Old 04-18-2016, 12:34 AM

384 posts, read 269,051 times
This law is just another example of what this country is becoming - a bunch of losers banding together to bring everyone down to their level.

If you're not making enough money to survive then better yourself. If you can't then you don't deserve to survive. Simple as that. Winners care about thriving while losers care about surviving.

You're not making a living wage because you suck. Your attitude sucks. Your skills suck. Your life choices suck. You suck. Accept your suckitude and either stop sucking or go jump off a bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or