U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 07:34 AM

10,325 posts, read 6,380,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I started a thread in the history subforum about life under Soviet Union, and Mao. Someone who actually lived in Russia at the time posted his life experiences. Apparently it was not so bad.
Funny thing about quality of life. Tends to have an awful lot to do with personal attitude more than material distractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 10:37 AM

24,169 posts, read 13,685,578 times
Yes , you really start pondering the important things in life when you are on a bread line.

Millions of Soviets on Bread Line, Pravda Reports - latimes

In The Soviet Era People Lined Up For Bread, But In 1990 … ? – Gear Diary

You are right..it sounds like a great quality of life!
I'm sure you would trade your lifestyle for that right?

Old 04-24-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes , you really start pondering the important things in life when you are on a bread line.

Millions of Soviets on Bread Line, Pravda Reports - latimes

In The Soviet Era People Lined Up For Bread, But In 1990 … ? – Gear Diary

You are right..it sounds like a great quality of life!
I'm sure you would trade your lifestyle for that right?
Interesting you should bring this up jm. Firstly, I didn't say it was a great quality of life. Again, you demonstrate zero ability to read accurately or comprehend what you read.

But, since you want to attack the very essence of what I DID say, I'll comment further with a few questions for you:
Do you deny that there are people living in miserable circumstances who find happiness in spite of their struggles? Do you think it is impossible to experience the pleasures and beauties of love and friendship, wonder at nature around you, enjpy the simple sensualities of a warm breeze or a cool one, and the delight of curiosity about that which surrounds you - even as you struggle for life's basics?

Old 04-24-2016, 10:53 AM

From the first article :

" "Sometimes, to tell the truth, I don't even feel like living," he said. "Yes, but in our times, even dying isn't cheap."

The price of coffins had risen to $213 from as little as $64, he said."

Old 04-24-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
From the first article :

" "Sometimes, to tell the truth, I don't even feel like living," he said. "Yes, but in our times, even dying isn't cheap."

The price of coffins had risen to $213 from as little as $64, he said."
You didn't answer my questions. Instead, you refer to an anecdotal opinion of one person who reflects your own miserable negative outlook on life. Of course lots of people are miserable in hard situations. You are one of them in good circumstances. But there are many who rise above. We know this because human life has persisted and flourished for hundreds of thousands of years including through a great deal of hardship worse than anything you will ever be faced with. Even a great deal far worse than the Soviet reign.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You didn't answer my questions. Instead, you refer to an anecdotal opinion of one person who reflects your own miserable negative outlook on life. Of course lots of people are miserable in hard situations. You are one of them in good circumstances. But there are many who rise above. We know this because human life has persisted and flourished for hundreds of thousands of years including through a great deal of hardship worse than anything you will ever be faced with. Even a great deal far worse than the Soviet reign.
I'll answer questions related to the topic. An economist who is also the former director of apparel giant has dubbed it an exodus of the apparel industry..
but I'm sure he's just another "pro business" idiot and we should listen to you over him..
You don't live in Los Angeles anyways so it won't affect you.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I'll answer questions related to the topic. An economist who is also the former director of apparel giant has dubbed it an exodus of the apparel industry..
but I'm sure he's just another "pro business" idiot and we should listen to you over him..
You don't live in Los Angeles anyways so it won't affect you.
You brought it up jm. Now you won't answer. Instead you return to beat the dead horse of the apparel industry leaving LA -- which it has been racing to do for years before this wage increase. 1/3 the industry gone in the past decade I believe was the statistic handed you earlier in the thread. Your expert is an idiot if he pretends that 1/3 of the industry left years ago because of a new law that wasn't even proposed back then.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:51 AM

The point is that there is currently still a strong apparel industry..but that this new minimum wage law is going to change that.
Yes i'll listen to the experts in the field all day long before I listen to you.
Do you think that hiking the minimum wage and making it more difficult for businesses to operate is good for workers?
That's a great strategy!

Its numbers have slipped from earlier highs, but Los Angeles still boasts more jobs making jeans, jackets and other apparel than any other pocket of the country.

Manufacturers and designers now fear “Made in L.A.” is under threat from a new law set to boost the city’s minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020.

Yes the LA apparel industry has gone down because of outsourcing ,etc...but it's still the TOP apparel industry in the USA.. your solution is to just kill off the industry and that will make things better for poor workers? How?
Seems like you really could care less about the apparel workers or any poor workers. I guess since you are comfortable and have a nice lifestyle it doesn't really matter to you..

http://www.wsj.com/articles/los-ange...ike-1436986903

Old 04-24-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
The point is that there is currently still a strong apparel industry..but that this new minimum wage law is going to change that.
Yes i'll listen to the experts in the field all day long before I listen to you.
Do you think that hiking the minimum wage and making it more difficult for businesses to operate is good for workers?
The apparel industry is leaving jm. It has been leaving for well over a decade. Long before this law. Other industries have also left before. Different employers move in. The metro is 10 million people large and growing.

Yes, increasing workers' income feeds consumerism. I don't happen to be a fan of consumer capitalism. I think it is ultimately a form of total suicide. But that's a different topic. When people earn more, they spend more. European countries, Australia, New Zealand have continued to prosper economically with higher wages. Show me evidence otherwise.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:05 PM

Been leaving?...that's not a strong argument for killing an industry.
30,000 WORKERS and BILLIONS in revenue = "Been leaving" Lol.
What other businesses will move in ? Will the new hot tech startup hire Maria the seamstress?
If the entire apparel industry leaves Los Angeles..which you think is no big deal..where is Maria going to work??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or