U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 11:17 AM

24,178 posts, read 13,695,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not even. They did not have stuff like mangos, oranges, bananas, and other tropical fruit and vegetables that are staples of the American diet. They didn't have much in the way of real fruit juice either. And what kind of low class background did you come from to even suggest the above scenario? Not even a grocery store in a poor neighborhood would contain what you describe these days. They'd all have a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, and meats.
That poster seems to promote the idea of soviet style bread lines and the limited choice as not being that bad.
Yet claims they aren't a communist. But then they seem to be anti capitalist too..but claims to be a retired successful business owner. Seems to be all over the map really.

The same poster feels that minimum wage is fine for many people to remain on for their entire lives because there are just some that can't possibly be as successful as them. Clearly , not everyone is as smart.

Pretty sure this poster realizes they are saying some things in order to get a reaction even though they don't really agree with the statements..but they like to get a reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 11:25 AM

10,335 posts, read 6,385,253 times
Quote:
Not even. They did not have stuff like mangos, oranges, bananas, and other tropical fruit and vegetables that are staples of the American diet. They didn't have much in the way of real fruit juice either. And what kind of low class background did you come from to even suggest the above scenario? Not even a grocery store in a poor neighborhood would contain what you describe these days. They'd all have a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, and meats.
Didn't say they wouldn't. What I did was lampoon the notion that the kind of cornucopia of processed foods we take for granted in this day and age in the west has anything to do with offering anything approximating a decent, passable diet. And, for that matter, same holds true for the meats and veggies and fruits. Perhaps you are unaware, as most people seem to be in this country, that the human omnivorous diet does not require, or even particularly benefit from, eating the levels of meat protein commonly consumed by Americans. And that fruits and vegetables flown in to market out of season from far away lands actually contradict the seasonal biological cycling we are designed to thrive on. It's marketing to make money for corporate businesses, agribusinesses, importers, chain retailers, shippers, cook book publishers, tv cooking show producers and networks.

It's a load of crap. Doesn't take much to sustain oneself eating healthy.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:33 AM

So you are also an expert or authority in nutrition now too?
I'm sure you were also one of those that thought the "ban on large sodas" or "ban on fast food" were great ideas too.
This is America, we don't want bureaucrats or righteous health zealots dictating what we can or can't eat.
Why are you so against freedom of choice?
Just because someone enjoys something once in a while that might not be "uber healthy" doesn't mean that they eat it everyday
Also just because a grocer or vendor sells an item ...doesn't mean YOU or anyone else has to buy it.

If someone wants to consume an entire tub of lard , that's their choice.
Sure it's not 'healthy' but people should have personal responsibility and not have the government dictate what they can and can't eat.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'm sure you were also one of those that thought the "ban on large sodas" or "ban on fast food" were great ideas too.
This is America, we don't want bureaucrats or righteous health zealots dictating what we can or can't eat.
Just because someone enjoys something once in a while that might not be "uber healthy" doesn't mean that they eat it everyday
Also just because a grocer or vendor sells an item ...doesn't mean YOU or anyone else has to buy it.

Sure it's not 'healthy' but people should have personal responsibility and not have the government dictate what they can and can't eat.
Lol. I'm a minimalist kind a guy jm. I'm also entirely right about everything I said above. I don't care in the slightest what you or others poison yourselves with. Drink all the soda you want. But ask me is it smart or necessary to have those choices? The answer is, accurately, no. Hundreds of thousands of years of human existence without any of that crap tells me it is all superfluous. And science tells me very clearly it is destructive. To me. To everybody. And to the natural systems that we rely on for our lives.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:36 PM

People have been drinking soda for hundreds of thousands of years?
Really?
I guess it's true you learn something new everyday!

Old 04-25-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
People have been drinking soda for hundreds of thousands of years?
Really?
I guess it's true you learn something new everyday!
Um, jm. Really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hundreds of thousands of years of human existence without any of that crap tells me it is all superfluous. .
Go take a nice long hot bath. Have a glass of wine or something.

You're going to go over the edge trying to ridicule me, bud.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 PM

No need. You do a great job of ridiculing yourself , bud.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:14 PM

23,260 posts, read 16,070,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Didn't say they wouldn't. What I did was lampoon the notion that the kind of cornucopia of processed foods we take for granted in this day and age in the west has anything to do with offering anything approximating a decent, passable diet. And, for that matter, same holds true for the meats and veggies and fruits. Perhaps you are unaware, as most people seem to be in this country, that the human omnivorous diet does not require, or even particularly benefit from, eating the levels of meat protein commonly consumed by Americans. And that fruits and vegetables flown in to market out of season from far away lands actually contradict the seasonal biological cycling we are designed to thrive on. It's marketing to make money for corporate businesses, agribusinesses, importers, chain retailers, shippers, cook book publishers, tv cooking show producers and networks.

It's a load of crap. Doesn't take much to sustain oneself eating healthy.
What relevance does this have to the original topic?

Actually yes the food we have available in the west is a decent, available topic. I'm sorry you see to only shop at 99 cent stores.

There's no such thing as seasonal biological cycling we were designed to thrive on, and I challenge you to provide citations from a legitimate source that suggests this.

Back to the Soviet Union, the reason why Russians lost faith in the old USSR is because they had nothing and it SUCKED. If you are a fan of this style of government, you may move to the remaining communist nations, which are really North Korea and Cuba.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:19 PM

23,260 posts, read 16,070,454 times
Quote:

Most of the food sold in grocery stores is perfectly healthy.

The guy actually speaking about his lifestyle. At some point he only had the money to eat from 99 cent stores. The only people who would drink the soda or ridiculously cheap foods are extremely poor people.

Anyone of even working class Americans (working class people are the biggest segment of Americans) have access to a variety of foods.

Notice how he made up BS about fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats when I said ANY grocery store even in a poor neighborhood has a huge selection of meat, fresh fruits, vegetables, and I might add whole grains. Such a selection was not available in the USSR, a nation this person glorifies but never lived in . Said person is a hypocrite for living in the US which he claims is so terrible. He does not need an exit visa to leave the US.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:00 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,354,003 times
Quote:
Most of the food sold in grocery stores is perfectly healthy.
That's extremely debatable. Most of the food sold in American grocery stores is only fine if you eat it on rare occasion. And I say that as someone who frequently indulges in things like soda, cereal, Velveeta Shells & "Cheese," and bread. Things like red meat, dairy milk, HFCS, refined sugar and processed grains are terrible for you in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or