U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 02:38 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
‘I was stunned by the business’: Fast food CEO says profits soared after minimum wage hike

Sales increases? WTH? I thought these businesses were supposed to be fleeing en masse?

A well-oiled economic machine concentrates its money with the consumers, not the wealthy elite. If right-wingers showed less disdain towards the working class, they'd understand this basic economic principle.

Reason #1,235,831 why conservatism fails as an ideology.
I would imagine this relates to price elasticity. it makes sense that lower cost goods could get a bump from the lower income people getting paid better. on the other end, higher cost goods and services that are provided by lower income workers will probably see the opposite. those prices will almost certainly go up for consumers, but it will be interesting to see what those increases are and how much this affects demand. i can say one thing for certain though, Walmart will not be charging $1080 this year for the same TV they sold for $649 last year. The marginal cost for a TV doesn't go up by 67% because of a minimum wage was raised by $1. To add to that, such a TV isn't even made in CA, it's made most likely in China where i highly doubt manufacturing costs are affected by the minimum wage in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 02:56 PM

3,780 posts, read 2,393,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I would imagine this relates to price elasticity. it makes sense that lower cost goods could get a bump from the lower income people getting paid better. on the other end, higher cost goods and services that are provided by lower income workers will probably see the opposite. those prices will almost certainly go up for consumers, but it will be interesting to see what those increases are and how much this affects demand. i can say one thing for certain though, Walmart will not be charging $1080 this year for the same TV they sold for $649 last year. The marginal cost for a TV doesn't go up by 67% because of a minimum wage was raised by $1. To add to that, such a TV isn't even made in CA, it's made most likely in China where i highly doubt manufacturing costs are affected by the minimum wage in CA.
Butbutbutbut...big box stores! Profitmongering! More scary words!! Aaaaahh!!!1111

Old 01-17-2017, 12:15 AM

2,244 posts, read 1,170,362 times
Just saw on the news American Apperal is closing all their warehouses in Ca and all stores. They are also blaming Ca business unfriendliness. Another one bites the dust

Old 01-17-2017, 12:28 AM

24,145 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Just saw on the news American Apperal is closing all their warehouses in Ca and all stores. They are also blaming Ca business unfriendliness. Another one bites the dust
Yeah I heard that too. They've been struggling for a long time. It seems they tried to grow too fast and took on too much debt, but the business unfriendliness in CA probably didn't help.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I heard that too. They've been struggling for a long time. It seems they tried to grow too fast and took on too much debt, but the business unfriendliness in CA probably didn't help.
When a company becomes too edgy even for California and there's massive internal fighting, one wonders if maybe they're being just a tiny bit disingenuous with claiming "business unfriendliness" (I wonder how H&M and Uniqlo are feeling about this alleged unfriendliness?) as reasons for failure. Their product was never all that interesting, their prices were too high for what they sold and when the novelty of the merkined mannequins wore off, they realized that this whole "keeping production in the U.S. business" was great in principle but not affordable long-term. Good riddance.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,136,474 times
$15 a hour for unskilled labor didn't have a thing to do with it. Sarcasm

Old 01-17-2017, 09:06 AM

27,138 posts, read 11,338,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
$15 a hour for unskilled labor didn't have a thing to do with it. Sarcasm
No, it didn't have a thing to do with it, the minimum wage in Los Angeles is not $15 an hour, it's $10.50. American Apparel is just another failed business, they had to fire 1800 undocumented workers in 2009 and lost a bunch of customers when it came out in 2010 that in order to get a job at their stores you had to submit full length photos with your application because they didn't want to hire 'ugly' people

Old 01-17-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, it didn't have a thing to do with it, the minimum wage in Los Angeles is not $15 an hour, it's $10.50. American Apparel is just another failed business, they had to fire 1800 undocumented workers in 2009 and lost a bunch of customers when it came out in 2010 that in order to get a job at their stores you had to submit full length photos with your application because they didn't want to hire 'ugly' people
Don't bother with a logical argument here. Those who don't want to hear it will not listen.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:48 PM

24,145 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sure it's not $15 today but it will be $15 in a few years. $15 hr by 2020 in LA It will be going up each year too until then.
Businesses usually look out at least a few years out .
I posted recently about an apparel maker in San Fernando ,CA .
He calculated that he will be LOSING $200,000 by staying so he's headed out of state

Maybe a tech company will replace his space ( who knows )but his former employees won't be able to qualify for those jobs most likely . Maybe the space will sit vacant because it will be harder to find someone to occupy it.

I know the pro $15 crowd always shouts , who cares we don't need those working class jobs!
But many people depend on those working class jobs .

Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 PM

27,138 posts, read 11,338,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sure it's not $15 today but it will be $15 in a few years. $15 hr by 2020 in LA It will be going up each year too until then. Businesses usually look out at least a few years out .
I posted recently about an apparel maker in San Fernando ,CA . He calculated that he will be LOSING $200,000 by staying so he's headed out of state Maybe a tech company will replace his space ( who knows )but his former employees won't be able to qualify for those jobs most likely . Maybe the space will sit vacant because it will be harder to find someone to occupy it. I know the pro $15 crowd always shouts , who cares we don't need those working class jobs! But many people depend on those working class jobs .
You simply regurgitate the same talking points in every post, there's really no point on trying to discuss this with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or