U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:35 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,353,016 times

Advertisements

I gave you a link in another thread debunking your entire premise but you chose to ignore it. Are you going to keep ignoring it?

https://www.dol.gov/featured/minimum-wage/mythbuster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:40 PM

24,169 posts, read 13,685,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I gave you a link in another thread debunking your entire premise but you chose to ignore it. Are you going to keep ignoring it?

https://www.dol.gov/featured/minimum-wage/mythbuster
They also are using $12 an hour , not $15. Also it's based on "academic research" which has it's place..but I think it's more important to look at things like what business owners are doing and saying...which is based more in reality. A lot better than theory.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,353,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
They also are using $12 an hour , not $15. Also it's based on "academic research" which has it's place..but I think it's more important to look at things like what business owners are doing and saying...which is based more in reality. A lot better than theory.
You mean businesses like McDonald's and Papa Johns, that said increasing the federal minimum wage to $9 would lead to $10 Big Macs and $30 pizzas? Yeah, all lies.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:18 PM

24,169 posts, read 13,685,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You mean businesses like McDonald's and Papa Johns, that said increasing the federal minimum wage to $9 would lead to $10 Big Macs and $30 pizzas? Yeah, all lies.
Well have you seen the prices at McD's recently? It's not really cheap anymore.
Lot's of the "Value Meals" at these fast food places are reaching close to $10

Do you have a link to where they said that though?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:09 PM

5,395 posts, read 5,645,485 times
They are still some clothing made in the USA and in LA for all places?

Anyways were most of the workers there just illegals or migrants from across the border?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:17 PM

11,411 posts, read 13,961,436 times
The irony is that the new minimum wage law is affecting those the most, that it was designed to help. Very sad.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:59 PM

601 posts, read 551,758 times
Quote:
Well have you seen the prices at McD's recently? It's not really cheap anymore.
Lot's of the "Value Meals" at these fast food places are reaching close to $10

Do you have a link to where they said that though?
Inaccurate. McDonalds has slightly raised their prices b/c theyre trying to offer better quality food. Many ppl these days are too health-conscious to eat Mcdonald's old items, so they're adding more expensive options to get customers to actually come back.

MickyD's/Walmart/etc. make false claims like that every time their workers try to unionize.

The article itself was pretty interesting, but I think you're just cherry picking your favorite points from it. As it states, garment manufacturing has already mostly left LA for the past decade or two, this isn't a new development.

Last edited by SpaceMonkyPunks; 04-15-2016 at 11:19 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 04:31 AM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
California minimum wage hike hits L.A. apparel industry: 'The exodus has begun' - LA Times

The statement that the minimum wage hike won't negatively affect the economy is just false. It's already a reality! The Exodus has begun!

No 'speculation' here...this is reality!
Add to that the number of fast food establishments that will go the tech route. Some already have but many more will follow. Of course this is the wave of the future, but with a 50% increase in the min wage, that future will come sooner. Young kids seeking a first job will have more trouble finding one and more small companies will hire people, by contract, pay them under the table and offer no benefits.

Last edited by nmnita; 04-16-2016 at 04:48 AM..

Old 04-16-2016, 04:40 AM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
And it won't for several years. It's not like it'll be $15 an hour next year.
Think about it for a minute: No, it hasn't hit, but don't you think companies are starting to plan for the increase? It isn't the simple increase over several years, it is the increase of other positions that has to be considered. You raise the hourly wage of John's starter job: Mary, his manager will demand and rightfully so, an increase in her wages. The guy who delivers the goods you use to produce whatever you do will get an increase in his salary. All this is past onto the consumer, which, in some cases is the min hourly worker. She will have to pay more for the same product. Thus the increase does nothing for her and might cost her a job or a cut back in hours. No matter how one looks at this, the increase has as many or more flaws than advantages.

You can refer to a government report that shows differently all you want. For every one you believe, there are other reports giving another side.

It so easy to say, well this is years away, time goes by fast and we have visited places (Canada for one) with higher min wage. It affects tourism as well. People think twice about visiting when they realize their money goes nowhere. Our youngest daughter and her husband are just returning today from an 8 day visit to western Canada. Money is no problem with them. Her comment via email just yesterday; OMG, things are so expensive here. We were in Toronto about 3 years ago for a week: stopped in one night for a quick bite at Popeye's chicken: almost twice the cost as here in the USA>

Last edited by nmnita; 04-16-2016 at 04:53 AM..

Old 04-16-2016, 09:44 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,175,722 times
It's just the final nail in the coffin along with a lot of other nails. I'm a small business owner and while I pay over minimum wage (so this doesn't effect me) the taxes and materials and wages are killing me! I took in 350,000 last year and my profit was 20,000. My business can't move to another state but I've had enough and am scouting other states to move to I seriously doubt I can sell my business with that small profit so I'll just have to close and my employees will be out of work. It's very sad

People don't seem to realize that a hike in wages also means a hike in workmans comp and employee taxes too. I also realize that it's impossible to live comfortably here on min wage so I don't know what the answer is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or