Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:57 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What relevance does this have to the original topic?

Actually yes the food we have available in the west is a decent, available topic. I'm sorry you see to only shop at 99 cent stores.

There's no such thing as seasonal biological cycling we were designed to thrive on, and I challenge you to provide citations from a legitimate source that suggests this.

Back to the Soviet Union, the reason why Russians lost faith in the old USSR is because they had nothing and it SUCKED. If you are a fan of this style of government, you may move to the remaining communist nations, which are really North Korea and Cuba.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Most of the food sold in grocery stores is perfectly healthy.

The guy actually speaking about his lifestyle. At some point he only had the money to eat from 99 cent stores. The only people who would drink the soda or ridiculously cheap foods are extremely poor people.

Anyone of even working class Americans (working class people are the biggest segment of Americans) have access to a variety of foods.

Notice how he made up BS about fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats when I said ANY grocery store even in a poor neighborhood has a huge selection of meat, fresh fruits, vegetables, and I might add whole grains. Such a selection was not available in the USSR, a nation this person glorifies but never lived in . Said person is a hypocrite for living in the US which he claims is so terrible. He does not need an exit visa to leave the US.
Oh my. Somebody needs to learn the difference between making factual observations - and advocacy. While you are looking into that, why don't you find a single example of me "glorifying the USSR" or advocating for, or being a "fan" of, or wanting to move to anything similar to Soviet life. Quote it for us, will you?

Now then, relevance to the topic? I dunno. You brought it up. I merely laughed at your suggestion that limited choices equates to miserable lifestyle. When you are done learning the difference between factual observations and advocacy, perhaps you'd find human history interesting. For example: Homo Sapiens, our evolved species, was around for roughly 200,000 + paleolithic years. Our agriculture first appeared about 10,000 years ago, a period known as the neolithic. During all the paleolithic period all we ate was what was available seasonally in hunting and gathering - just as our predecessor species had done for a million years before.

When we started controlling crops in the neolithic period we expanded our choices a bit, but mostly just by storing grains for winter consumption. Really, not a whole lot changed with that system until just a couple hundred years ago when we learned how to create legumes and alter natural selection in plants and animals. But, even so, we still ate seasonally because limitations in preserving our productions.

No supermarkets full of processed stuff and out of season foods flown in from afar! Oh noes!

Until the last hundred fifty years or so when we got hip to nitrogen fertilizing - and making and delivering ice.

Until the past century then - we didn't have many choices.

Do you think people weren't experiencing happiness for the past few hundred thousand years? Studies of primitive hunter-gatherer tribes still existing - without many choices - say otherwise.

Now, as to seasonality affecting biology. We are getting further and further off topic. But, since you asked, I'll give you a couple hints to ponder and google. Do any animals Hibernate? Go dormant in other ways? Migrate? Eat diets that change as the seasons change? Does the sap of the maple run in winter, or in summer? Do pumpkins ripen in the fall or late spring? Buds appear on deciduous trees in fall, or spring? Do you know what triggers these growth and ripening cycles? Daylight hours ring a bell? Changing weather patterns?

Try this Google: "Does DNA change with the seasons?" Or substitute "Do genes change with seasons?" Then look up whether inflammatory response systems change seasonally (hint: they're more active in winter). Try asking about allergy response systems and seasons. Look up whether any foods affect inflammation. Allergies.

And here, just for a kickstart, I'll tease you with a quote from an article relating to seasonal dietary choices resulting in critical biological adaptations:
Quote:
Yearlong staples of the women's diet include rice, a grain called millet, peanuts and cassava. But during the rainy season, they eat more leafy green vegetables similar to spinach, which are very high in folate, a nutrient that is especially important during pregnancy.
The scientists investigated the concentration of nutrients in the blood of 84 pregnant women who conceived at the peak of the rainy season and 83 women who conceived at the peak of the dry season. In addition, they analyzed the DNA of six specific genes in the women's infants when they were 2 to 8 months old. [7 Ways Pregnant Women Affect Babies]
The researchers found that in all six genes, the infants who were conceived during the rainy season had consistently higher rates of "methylation" in their DNA. A methylation is a change made to DNA — it's the addition of methyl groups to the DNA strand, a so-called epigenetic modification to DNA — and is a process that can silence the expression of a gene.
Methylation generally depends on nutrients such as folate, choline, methionine, and vitamins B2 and B6, the researchers said. In the study, methylation in the infants' genes was linked to various nutrient levels in the mother's blood.
See if you can find the source. It's like a game!

"no such thing as seasonal biological cycling"
"BS about fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats"
... my arse.

Enjoy your evening looking stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 11:14 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Even if shoplifting went up, they would likely still be ahead for the year without paying all those labor costs.
Here in Miami the automatic cash registers are being removed from some stores. According to some of the employees the cause was shoplifting.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:42 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
This small business owner can barely afford to pay her employees the new minimum wage of $10.50 an hour.

Leaving for Las Vegas: California's minimum wage law leaves businesses no choice - LA Times

Old 01-03-2017, 05:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
First the minimum wage hike then the ban on free plastic shopping bags, they are really making this state as unlivable for those outside a certain income bracket.
Can't wait to see what kinda Shenanigans we will experience with Trump!
I see myself in a different state when I get to the retirement age. Possibly, even relocating to a different country like New Zealand or whatever.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:30 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
The bottom line is that you have no understanding of the matter. Higher wages=increased consumer spending=increased employment.
I think you need to go back to grade school where one is taught basic math.
Higher wages mean higher prices for goods and services.
No one gains by raising the price to produce goods and services.

The higher operating cost to companies will always be passed on to the consumer, so how does one gain by getting a raise in pay, when it will cost them more for the products and services they require?
Her is an example for the weak minded, who have not mastered economics.

Walmart sells a 60" tv for $649.99
They are hit with a mandate that the minimum wage is rising to $15.00 in three years.
That same tv that you could purchase for $649, is now $1080.00 to cover the increased cost in wages Walmart has to pay.
This is just one company, now multiply that by all the companies in the city, and state.
So again, where did anyone gain anything?
Answer, they didn't.

Bob.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:39 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
They are hit with a mandate that the minimum wage is rising to $15.00 in three years.
That same tv that you could purchase for $649, is now $1080.00 to cover the increased cost in wages Walmart has to pay.
Walmart doesnt have to raise the price anywhere near that high to cover the wage increase. BS conservative scare tactics at work here.

Walmart makes untold billions while paying their employees welfare wages. They get no sympathy from me.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:02 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think you need to go to school to learn cost accounting before you spout off nonsense.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:28 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I think you need to go to school to learn cost accounting before you spout off nonsense.
You, and anyone else who do not think Walmart, as well as other businesses is a reality, are living in a bubble, or some other planet.
It is called corporate greed, and with the hike in wages, it will flourish through out the business world.
Economics has nothing to do with it.
Business is going to pass on to the consumer any additional cost to operate.

Bob.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:49 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
You, and anyone else who do not think Walmart, as well as other businesses is a reality, are living in a bubble, or some other planet.
It is called corporate greed, and with the hike in wages, it will flourish through out the business world.
Economics has nothing to do with it.
Business is going to pass on to the consumer any additional cost to operate.

Bob.
You, or anyone else who thinks that to compensate for paying employees 50% more in wages (on the low side, mind), stores such as WalMart (who have a very specific, price-oriented clientele) will, in turn, raise their prices by the same percentage are delusional and uneducated fear mongers with zero concept of how businesses actually operate. Nice try, though.

Yes, you will likely see some costs passed on to the consumer. But your $649 to $1,080 TV example, if taken literally (and, due to its specificity, I have no choice but to do so) was absurd.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:58 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
‘I was stunned by the business’: Fast food CEO says profits soared after minimum wage hike

Quote:
“My overall sales were something like 15 percent ahead after the first minimum wage bump, and now they’re about 12 percent ahead this year,” Jacobs explained. “It isn’t because I’m such a great manager or smart guy, but the buying public has more money in their pocket.”
Sales increases? WTH? I thought these businesses were supposed to be fleeing en masse?

A well-oiled economic machine concentrates its money with the consumers, not the wealthy elite. If right-wingers showed less disdain towards the working class, they'd understand this basic economic principle.

Reason #1,235,831 why conservatism fails as an ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles