U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2016, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,163 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11367

Advertisements

What part of LA do you plan to live in ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2016, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
317 posts, read 292,834 times
Reputation: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I find L.A. way better to live than to visit. That's just me though.
Yea, kinda. LA is this weird city that people visit where they expect perfection everywhere and then they get here and see its a bit grimey and dirty in alot of spots. Then they realize other than "hollywood blvd, mulholland, santa monica, and venice beach" there isnt anything else to do. You really have to venture off and find some non touristy spots to really enjoy it.

But then you move here and spend enough time exploring and realize there are endless things to do. LA is simply too big and spread out to enjoy most of it on a vacation. You have to live here to enjoy what it has to offer (and be making enough money.......) But thats something ohh I dunno, 99% of the tourists will never do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,163 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
Yea, kinda. LA is this weird city that people visit where they expect perfection everywhere and then they get here and see its a bit grimey and dirty in alot of spots. Then they realize other than "hollywood blvd, mulholland, santa monica, and venice beach" there isnt anything else to do. You really have to venture off and find some non touristy spots to really enjoy it.

But then you move here and spend enough time exploring and realize there are endless things to do. LA is simply too big and spread out to enjoy most of it on a vacation. You have to live here to enjoy what it has to offer (and be making enough money.......) But thats something ohh I dunno, 99% of the tourists will never do.
Yeah no doubt. I was born in L.A so it's hard to imagine how I would view it from a tourist perspective.
I can totally see how being a tourist in L.A could be frustrating and underwhelming versus cities like SF or NYC that are a lot more dense. Of course NYC is more than Manhattan too..more people live in Brooklyn than Manhattan last I heard...but of course most visitors will probably only go to Manhattan.

I still find new parts of the city that I haven't been too, especially if you expand to all of L.A County there is a lot to see and do.

It seems there are so many that stick to their particular areas even L.A natives or maybe especially natives?..and I think that's kind of sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 12:42 PM
 
Location: ATL by way of Los Angeles
842 posts, read 1,105,515 times
Reputation: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Houston TX....gahd damn.
I never did Houston in the summer, but I have been to Dallas in the summer. I thought that I was going to pass out! Straight heat with no shade in sight! San Antonio isn't much better, but I don't remember it being as brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 07:33 PM
 
1,500 posts, read 1,688,507 times
Reputation: 1065
I have visited LA three times,

At the end of my first visit, I could see myself fitting in very nicely and knew that I have to move out there.

Working on it..fingers crossed for the right job opportunity to come up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2016, 03:37 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah no doubt. I was born in L.A so it's hard to imagine how I would view it from a tourist perspective.
I can totally see how being a tourist in L.A could be frustrating and underwhelming versus cities like SF or NYC that are a lot more dense. Of course NYC is more than Manhattan too..more people live in Brooklyn than Manhattan last I heard...but of course most visitors will probably only go to Manhattan.

I still find new parts of the city that I haven't been too, especially if you expand to all of L.A County there is a lot to see and do.

It seems there are so many that stick to their particular areas even L.A natives or maybe especially natives?..and I think that's kind of sad.
I definitely prefer visiting LA rather than living in it. LA just isn't my kind of city. However, I visit about twice a year now (purely for Kings games) and there's plenty to do even for someone like myself who has explored LA a lot. I don't even rent a car, the rail can take you almost everywhere these days. While I enjoy my time in LA, I definitely don't miss it or have a desire to live there again...but it's always a fun trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 03:06 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,436 posts, read 1,973,752 times
Reputation: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I definitely prefer visiting LA rather than living in it. LA just isn't my kind of city. However, I visit about twice a year now (purely for Kings games) and there's plenty to do even for someone like myself who has explored LA a lot. I don't even rent a car, the rail can take you almost everywhere these days. While I enjoy my time in LA, I definitely don't miss it or have a desire to live there again...but it's always a fun trip.
If Los Angeles "isn't your kind of city," why do you engage in topics regarding it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 07:26 AM
jw2
 
2,028 posts, read 2,486,108 times
Reputation: 3345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
yeah....I guess it's the mosquito's. It's crawfish season which I wouldn't be able to find in L.A. and the very cheap drinks and great bars. However, Echo de menos buena mexicano ( I probably said that incorrectly). And my bros off Crenshaw and King.
re:echo de menos buena mexicano

You are very close, echo de menos does mean "I miss" but you aren't saying what you miss, just a couple of adjectives, (that you aren't matching in gender btw). I assume you mean food (comida), since that is what you are talking about.

Echo de menos buena comida mexicana, I miss good Mexican food, and I have to say, I don't blame you one bit,I would would miss it too!

Depending on context, you can omit comida, but sometimes it will have a different interpretation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 12:02 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
If Los Angeles "isn't your kind of city," why do you engage in topics regarding it?
Because I'm still interested in the development of the city, and I visit every year. You don't have to want to live in LA or have it be your kind of city in order to visit and/or discuss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2016, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Great upstate
185 posts, read 119,373 times
Reputation: 97
The Kings suck anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top