U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 11:23 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,668,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl17 View Post
I'm going to be 40 this year (yikes, how did that happen?!?), and I definitely don't want to live in the suburbs. Although I no longer want to live in a crowded, bustling like L.A. or NYC, I still prefer to live in an urban area, like Uptown New Orleans or downtown Orlando. Still cities, but much more relaxed.
Orlando relaxing? LOL, thanks for the laugh. Besides the horrible weather most of the year it's loaded with NE transplants, in fact it was voted the rudest city in America a few years back.

Orlando has horrible traffic, they didn't keep the infrastructure up with the population.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 12:52 PM

7,612 posts, read 10,414,111 times
I love LA too, especially the food.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:20 AM

62 posts, read 44,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Orlando relaxing? LOL, thanks for the laugh. Besides the horrible weather most of the year it's loaded with NE transplants, in fact it was voted the rudest city in America a few years back.

Orlando has horrible traffic, they didn't keep the infrastructure up with the population.
I didn't say it was relaxing, just much more relaxed than living in the L.A. rat race. I've lived in both cities, so I have a clue as to what I'm talking about. Some of the drivers are rude (no different than in L.A.), but I've found the residents to be very friendly. At least they are in our little neighborhood, which is about a mile from downtown. They're also working on improving the infrastructure as we speak. Sure, there's more traffic now, but it will be better in the long run.

Horrible weather? As I mentioned in a previous post, I actually prefer the humidity to L.A.'s dry climate. I also LOVE the warm, balmy nights(was always too cold at night in L.A. for me), so I think it's the perfect climate. As we said earlier in this thread, to each his own.

Also, Pasadena was voted the country's snobbiest city -do you believe everything you read? I have also lived in Pasadena and certainly wouldn't call the entire city "snobby"...

Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 AM

6,379 posts, read 4,533,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
That is all
What do you miss most about it?

Old 04-29-2016, 12:08 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,668,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl17 View Post
I didn't say it was relaxing, just much more relaxed than living in the L.A. rat race. I've lived in both cities, so I have a clue as to what I'm talking about. Some of the drivers are rude (no different than in L.A.), but I've found the residents to be very friendly. At least they are in our little neighborhood, which is about a mile from downtown. They're also working on improving the infrastructure as we speak. Sure, there's more traffic now, but it will be better in the long run.

Horrible weather? As I mentioned in a previous post, I actually prefer the humidity to L.A.'s dry climate. I also LOVE the warm, balmy nights(was always too cold at night in L.A. for me), so I think it's the perfect climate. As we said earlier in this thread, to each his own.

Also, Pasadena was voted the country's snobbiest city -do you believe everything you read? I have also lived in Pasadena and certainly wouldn't call the entire city "snobby"...
I lived in FL for a few years, I saw "stunts" on the roads there I have never seen anywhere else.

Drivers in LA are much better than in FL, sure you get a jerk every once in awhile here, in FL it was a daily event. I saw more horrific accidents down there than anywhere else. Had a relative visit one time who said "they sure like to tailgate here".....LOL. Bad mix of people, you have 85 year olds who shouldn't be driving but FL allows them to have a licence for 8 years, 16 year olds get full licenses and can drive with unlimited passengers(every weekend it was carnage on the roads between drunks and teens driving too fast).

If you like humidity, good for you. Most people don't.

And road construction in FL was never ending. It took two years to redo an intersection. Here in LA, they get it done quickly, and usually at night when the roads are pretty empty.

And FL is loaded with NE transplants who are quite rude. People in CA are more laid back and better mannered. The difference is very noticeable.

FL from Orlando to Tampa and on down is like living in NJ, in fact the expression is the "the further south you go in FL, the more north you go", meaning the rude behavior.

Northern FL and the panhandle have more civility.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:31 AM

205 posts, read 106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Just cause I miss L.A. doesn't mean I'm not comfortable in my current situation. Also, Life is a journey. I miss L.A. though and it's majestic food and weather.

Edit: And gorgeous natives

and the Dodgers, Lakers, and Galaxy....oh god lol. They'll never beat the California out of me no matter how many cities I live in.
I've never gotten a chance to live there but I go through a slight depression each time I leave after visiting. I can definitely relate!

Old 04-30-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Yes, once L.A. is in you it's mighty hard to get it out. It has so many great aspects. The only thing comparable to me is the S.F Bay area, where I am now. So much to do and dine, great sports, some fine people, and exquisite natural beauty. But it's big in your favor that you don't strongly dislike where you are now; that's a help isn't it?
The Bay is equally as awesome!

Old 04-30-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than there is the humidity...ugh. A friend of mine here had a couple visit here one summer who were from New Orleans, nice people who kept commenting on how great the weather was and how they couldn't walk around like this in New Orleans as you would be a puddle.
New Orleans is a blast during Mardi Gras but as far as everyday livability goes, I would choose LA.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSORD93 View Post
I think age/place in life matters. My goal is to live in a big bustling city while I'm young because I understand that as people get older, they want to move to quieter, more spacious suburbs. I feel like I'll regret it later in life if I don't spend my 20s enjoying living in a big city. I don't know if anyone else feels this way.
Do it! I spent my twenties living in NYC and I don't regret it one bit. I feel bad for people who don't get a chance to experience moving away from a small town into a big city when they are young. It definitely opens up your mind and allows you to have unforgettable experiences.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:25 AM

1,040 posts, read 543,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSORD93 View Post
I think age/place in life matters. My goal is to live in a big bustling city while I'm young because I understand that as people get older, they want to move to quieter, more spacious suburbs. I feel like I'll regret it later in life if I don't spend my 20s enjoying living in a big city. I don't know if anyone else feels this way.
Oh yes, plenty of people do. That's why I did it and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. Now I way prefer the Bay Area and go to L.A. only for visits. Which is when I notice that some things about L.A. don't change. Like the fact that a whole lot (but certainly not all) of 20 and 30 something Angelinos have one goal in common: to live it up in one of the most vibrant cities in the world while they can, even if they're broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or