Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 03:03 PM

17 posts, read 13,615 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be staying in LA for business, my company approved a budget of $3,000 for the monthly accommodation, and I need your help in finding the appropriate neighborhood for me. My knowledge of LA is limited other than the research I did online and in this forum.

I am using airbnb to find a short-term 1 month rental, it needs to be within 20 miles of downtown LA.

The most important criteria in my decision is walkability. I will not be driving while I'm there, so I'd like to be able to do a lot of stuff within a walking distance. Thus, I'm looking for a lively area with a lot bars, restaurants, venues, etc... rather than a isolated residential area which requires a car to get anywhere.

I'm a 30 years old, straight, and I'm into a variety of activities, bars, restaurants, nature, hiking, the ocean etc...

I looked at Venice Beach & Santa Monica - they seemed to have what I want but are too expensive, there are no 1 month rentals under 3,000.

It's not too viable to make my budget work in an expensive neighborhood near the beach. So I started looking a bit further away from the ocean.

I was looking at Downtown and West Hollywood, and these areas have many apartments within my budget. However, I'm not sure whether these areas are any good for what I described. What do you guys think?

Are there any other areas that you might recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 03:07 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times
Better to find a place to live within 25 minutes (or less) commute each way (to and) from work.
Traffic is NO fun in this town.

Do not spend more than one hour per day commuting or you'll regret it.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Better to find a place to live within 25 minutes (or less) commute each way (to and) from work.
Traffic is NO fun in this town.

Do not spend more than one hour per day commuting or you'll regret it.
I'll be working from the apartment for the most part, since it's an online tech business.

I have 1 meeting each week in downtown LA, and that's basically it. Rather than flying me back and forth each week, the company is sending me there for a whole month. Thus, even if the commute is two hours, it's not a huge issue since it's only once per week.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times
Then I would use a rental website to search.

westsiderentals dot com - probably one of the better sites you pay a small fee and have use of the website to search rentals, they post rentals from different areas of town.

apartments dot com is also ok to use.

there's also craigslist dot org but it's hit or miss - could be some flaky posters.

better stick with something reliable like the first two sites i posted.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:32 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Since you are only going to be around for a month you can find an Airbnb place in the pedestrian friendly areas of Los Feliz and Uber into DTLA when you have to. Bars, restaurants, venues and Griffith Park are there. Seriously, I won't even bother with anyplace else.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,996,726 times
Try these, they have short-term rentals:

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/se...A/cityarea/449

Old 04-24-2016, 05:52 PM

908 posts, read 1,298,134 times
I'd try to find something relatively close perhaps in Los Feliz or West Hollywood. Los Feliz is right by Griffith Park so you can go hiking while still being close to various bars/restaurants in the area while West Hollywood has a great nightlife scene with a lot activities in and around that area.

You will be able to find something good for under $3K in these areas.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:48 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions. Los Feliz looked great, but the short term rentals there were either book, looking run-down or too expensive.

West Hollywood on the other hand had reasonably priced short term rentals that looked decent. So I decided to focus my search in the WeHo area.

I found a couple of apartments on the corner of N Crescent Heights Blvd and Santa Monica Boulveard, here's a map with this area circled:

Is this area any good, especially for stuff to do within walking distance, or should I be looking in different areas of WeHo? There were quite a few apartments available on Melrose Ave, is Santa Monica Boulevard more dense with stuff to do?

Old 04-25-2016, 01:41 PM

908 posts, read 1,298,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockie View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions. Los Feliz looked great, but the short term rentals there were either book, looking run-down or too expensive.

West Hollywood on the other hand had reasonably priced short term rentals that looked decent. So I decided to focus my search in the WeHo area.

I found a couple of apartments on the corner of N Crescent Heights Blvd and Santa Monica Boulveard, here's a map with this area circled:

Is this area any good, especially for stuff to do within walking distance, or should I be looking in different areas of WeHo? There were quite a few apartments available on Melrose Ave, is Santa Monica Boulevard more dense with stuff to do?
That intersection in particular has a lot to do. As you can see labeled on Google Maps, you have two places (The Hudson and Laurel Hardware) that are really happening nightlife spots. And if you walk half a mile in either direction on Santa Monica Blvd., you'll find other bars/restaurants. Walk up a couple blocks on Crescent Heights to Sunset and you'll be at the Laugh Factory, which always has great comedians going through.

That whole area within a one mile radius of the intersection you highlighted has a lot of things to do. Especially if you're going to be in LA short-term, and want to go out and be in the thick of the action, that's a good spot. Also, it's a safe area.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:55 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,679,269 times
Yeah I think AirBnB is your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles