U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2016, 12:01 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
11,407 posts, read 13,950,805 times
Reputation: 10904

Advertisements

Sad news. Frequently visited the La Canada location when I lived in La Crescenta and the Marina Del Rey location in my UCLA days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2016, 04:34 PM
 
3,780 posts, read 2,393,198 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Double the minimum wage no wonder. There'll be a lot more.
Right, they pre-emptively closed because of something that won't happen for five years. Solid reasoning there.

Maybe the fact that they are closing has something to do with an over-saturated market in which it's more and more difficult to continue paying the overhead and compete with online retailers? No, couldn't possibly be.

Sport Chalet and Sports Authority have some of the most run-down facilities (case in point, both of the SCh West L.A. stores) coupled with prices that haven't been competitive in ages. Big 5 gets away with it by having weekly $17.99 loss-leader tennis shoes specials (and, quite frankly, I don't see them surviving past 2020, either) and Dick's, REI and Cabela's offer a much better overall experience as well as a wide inventory. Sports Authority has basically become a (much) worse version of Dick's over the years while Sport Chalet turned into an also-ran. And also-rans get run over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2016, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,151 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Reputation: 11364
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Right, they pre-emptively closed because of something that won't happen for five years. Solid reasoning there.

Maybe the fact that they are closing has something to do with an over-saturated market in which it's more and more difficult to continue paying the overhead and compete with online retailers? No, couldn't possibly be.

Sport Chalet and Sports Authority have some of the most run-down facilities (case in point, both of the SCh West L.A. stores) coupled with prices that haven't been competitive in ages. Big 5 gets away with it by having weekly $17.99 loss-leader tennis shoes specials (and, quite frankly, I don't see them surviving past 2020, either) and Dick's, REI and Cabela's offer a much better overall experience as well as a wide inventory. Sports Authority has basically become a (much) worse version of Dick's over the years while Sport Chalet turned into an also-ran. And also-rans get run over.
Well the minimum wage will be increasing each year in Los Angeles until it reaches $15 in 2020.
Looks like Sports Chalet has been losing money for several years though so it's not like the case, but we could see a lot more businesses shut down or move due to the minimum wage hike.

It certainly doesn't make the city or state more competitive or a more business friendly environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2016, 07:32 PM
 
Location: So Ca
13,865 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Reputation: 11790
Many big box stores have the same problem.

"...a growing number of retail outlets have fallen victim to “showrooming,” where customers will walk into a store, try on the shirt or jacket they like and then order it online at a significant discount.

“These stores have to look at not at how they will compete with other brick-and-mortar stores, but how they will compete with Amazon..."
Why Sports Authority is throwing in the towel and closing all of its stores - The Orange County Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 PM
 
3,780 posts, read 2,393,198 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Well the minimum wage will be increasing each year in Los Angeles until it reaches $15 in 2020.
Looks like Sports Chalet has been losing money for several years though so it's not like the case, but we could see a lot more businesses shut down or move due to the minimum wage hike.

It certainly doesn't make the city or state more competitive or a more business friendly environment.
You are constantly being provided with the evidence that the minimum wage increase is not going to hurt business nearly as much as you claim it is, so I'm not going to have this argument with you as it's the default response of you and a few other people on this board, irrespective of whether or not it has any roots in reality. Sports Chalet is closing down for reasons that have nothing to do with the minimum wage increase (since it hasn't even fully taken effect yet and won't for years) and I am, frankly, surprised it's stayed open for this long. On the other hand,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Many big box stores have the same problem.

"...a growing number of retail outlets have fallen victim to “showrooming,” where customers will walk into a store, try on the shirt or jacket they like and then order it online at a significant discount.

“These stores have to look at not at how they will compete with other brick-and-mortar stores, but how they will compete with Amazon..."
Why Sports Authority is throwing in the towel and closing all of its stores - The Orange County Register
this is spot on. Best Buy is one of the retailers that actually realized that if it didn't change its ways, it would go the way of Circuit City and has made changes to make sure this didn't happen. Sports Chalet didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2016, 07:40 PM
 
Location: LA, CA/ In This Time and Place
5,425 posts, read 3,278,164 times
Reputation: 5033
Sports Chalet, we'all take you to the limit.

Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2016, 07:42 PM
 
Location: LA, CA/ In This Time and Place
5,425 posts, read 3,278,164 times
Reputation: 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Double the minimum wage no wonder. There'll be a lot more.
Any evidence this has anything to do with minimum wage? Stores close even with stagnant wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,151 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Reputation: 11364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Any evidence this has anything to do with minimum wage? Stores close even with stagnant wages.
Not in this case, Sports Chalet was doing badly...but do you think increasing the costs to operate for a business owner will be better for their business?

Just like with a consumer, rising rent ,gas, and food costs mean they are in a worse financial situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 07:46 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,165,432 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Sports Chalet, we'all take you to the limit.

Sad.

Credit limit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 08:32 PM
 
818 posts, read 471,952 times
Reputation: 789
All this was just a simple saturation of sporting goods stores. Some fell. That's it peeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top