U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:43 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times

Advertisements

LA and CA in general is a horrible place for retirement unless your very rich and your parents don't sound that way based on their budget. There is a reason most retire Florida and Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 07:51 AM

53 posts, read 69,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
LA and CA in general is a horrible place for retirement unless your very rich and your parents don't sound that way based on their budget. There is a reason most retire Florida and Arizona
Absolutely my friend, no doubt about it. But they place tremendous value on living near me and their soon to be grandchildren. Of i were to move to california, it may be worth it for them to move as well.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 AM

4,736 posts, read 5,936,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Absolutely my friend, no doubt about it. But they place tremendous value on living near me and their soon to be grandchildren. Of i were to move to california, it may be worth it for them to move as well.
If you're open to Orange County, then your parents could find something in Laguna Woods, a retirement community.
Laguna Woods Village Southern California Retirement Community
https://www.redfin.com/city/9968/CA/...max-price=350k

You should be able to get a place in nearby (about 11 miles and maybe 17 minutes away depending upon traffic) Rancho Santa Margarita.

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA | Official Website
https://www.redfin.com/city/15422/CA...max-price=650k

Old 04-17-2016, 08:25 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
You must be dreaming if you're expecting people not to take offense to that statement...

Having said that, you clearly belong in OC, not LA.
SJW forums are that way ------>

How many threads do we see here where people are looking for an Indian, black, Chinese, latino, or gay neighborhood? It's somehow racist for whites to live among their own but not when other ethnic groups desire to do so?

Old 04-17-2016, 10:30 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,973,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
SJW forums are that way ------>

How many threads do we see here where people are looking for an Indian, black, Chinese, latino, or gay neighborhood? It's somehow racist for whites to live among their own but not when other ethnic groups desire to do so?
People don't take issue to people of color in this country wanting to live amongst each other because of the history of oppression, racism, and prejudice from they've encountered from Whites, which still continues today. So yeah, when Whites prefer to live around other Whites, it comes off and sounds racist to some.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:43 AM

234 posts, read 134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
People don't take issue to people of color in this country wanting to live amongst each other because of the history of oppression, racism, and prejudice from they've encountered from Whites, which still continues today. So yeah, when Whites prefer to live around other Whites, it comes off and sounds racist to some.
Nice double standard. Sounds racist to me.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 AM

601 posts, read 551,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Yes.

--

If you truly view everyone as equal, then why do you need to live among whites to feel comfortable? Is it because you associate white neighborhoods as more safe, or upscale? That in itself is a racist attitude, sorry not sorry.

I wouldn't give it a second thought if you said you wanted to live in a safe neighborhood, or a wealthy neighborhood. But by saying you want to live in a white neighborhood? You're implying that non-white areas are automatically NOT safe or wealthy, just because of their skin color. That's pretty f'd up, any logical person would take offense.

(Also, Chinese/Indian/etc. communities wanting a place where they can speak their own language/eat their own food/etc. is not the same. If you were German and wanted to live in a community where people speak German/do German festivities - again, I wouldn't take offense, that's not the same thing.)

Old 04-17-2016, 10:55 AM

I have nothing against any races. My wife is latina. I actually wouldnt even want to live in a neighborhood that was 100% white. I like some diversity. I just dont want to feel as though my family is the only white family. I think anyone would like to be around their own people - to a certain extent. I Don't want to spark a racial debate at all, just wanted to be clear about what i was looking for.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:00 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:

(Also, Chinese/Indian/etc. communities wanting a place where they can speak their own language/eat their own food/etc. is not the same. If you were German and wanted to live in a community where people speak German/do German festivities - again, I wouldn't take offense, that's not the same thing.)
It absolutely is the same thing. Whites want to live around others who speak English.

In any case, this is why organizations like BLM are making no movement. They want equality, which is awesome and something I am totally for, but with other privileges in which "any logical person would take offense."

Old 04-17-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yes.

--

If you truly view everyone as equal, then why do you need to live among whites to feel comfortable? Is it because you associate white neighborhoods as more safe, or upscale? That in itself is a racist attitude, sorry not sorry.

I wouldn't give it a second thought if you said you wanted to live in a safe neighborhood, or a wealthy neighborhood. But by saying you want to live in a white neighborhood? You're implying that non-white areas are automatically NOT safe or wealthy, just because of their skin color. That's pretty f'd up, any logical person would take offense.

Safety and race are two completely different things and i am not trying to make the association between them at all.

Being the only white family in an all black neighborhood (as an example) is uncomfortable to a certain extent, regardless of culture / food / language. Being the only black family in an otherwise all chinese neighborhood is uncomfortable for the same reason. Being the only one of any ethnicity in an area otherwise dominated by other ethnicities is uncomfortable to a certain extent. There's a certain comfort in finding community with those of similar ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or