U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:04 AM
 
601 posts, read 551,482 times
Reputation: 598

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
It absolutely is the same thing. Whites want to live around others who speak English.
Right, and nearly every Asian/Latino/Black person I know speaks perfectly understandable English and is well adapted to American culture. So again, there's no point in specifying that they be white..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:05 AM
 
1,856 posts, read 2,038,779 times
Reputation: 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Safety and race are two completely different things and i am not trying to make the association between them at all.

Being the only white family in an all black neighborhood (as an example) is uncomfortable to a certain extent, regardless of culture / food / language. Being the only black family in an otherwise all chinese neighborhood is uncomfortable for the same reason. Being the only one of any ethnicity in an area otherwise dominated by other ethnicities is uncomfortable to a certain extent. There's a certain comfort in finding community with those of similar ethnicity.
Agreed. Unfortunately, it is the viewpoint of many people on this forum that it is racist for whites to want to live among other whites, but perfectly ok for other ethnic groups to want to live around similar people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,436 posts, read 1,973,752 times
Reputation: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Agreed. Unfortunately, it is the viewpoint of many people on this forum that it is racist for whites to want to live among other whites, but perfectly ok for other ethnic groups to want to live around similar people.
It's possible that it reminds folks of the times when people of color, specifically Blacks couldn't go to certain areas and couldn't eat at certain restaurants because of the racist "Whites only" rules.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to have at least some people of your own ethnic background living on your street and in your neighborhood, which is what the OP wants. However when Whites say they want to live around nothing but Whites...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 12:19 PM
 
1,856 posts, read 2,038,779 times
Reputation: 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
It's possible that it reminds folks of the times when people of color, specifically Blacks couldn't go to certain areas and couldn't eat at certain restaurants because of the racist "Whites only" rules.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to have at least some people of your own ethnic background living on your street and in your neighborhood, which is what the OP wants. However when Whites say they want to live around nothing but Whites...
Nowhere has the phrase "nothing but whites" been thrown around.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,436 posts, read 1,973,752 times
Reputation: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Nowhere has the phrase "nothing but whites" been thrown around.
You brought up Whites living among their own in their own neighborhood. What exactly were you implying?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 02:47 PM
 
1,856 posts, read 2,038,779 times
Reputation: 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
You brought up Whites living among their own in their own neighborhood. What exactly were you implying?
You're really stretching what was said, pal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,436 posts, read 1,973,752 times
Reputation: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
You're really stretching what was said, pal.
No, I'm not. I'm reiterating what you said.

Again, what were you implying, if not that? If that's not what you meant, fine. What exactly did you mean then?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top