U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:54 PM

387 posts, read 336,078 times

Advertisements

Or better question, did it impress you in anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 11:08 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
Why would sprawl be a shock to people from small towns? Small towns are just a bunch of small buildings sprawled out. Los Angeles would probably be much more comfortable for someone from a small town than, say, NYC.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:29 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,959,034 times
The "sprawl" only really affects you when you need to travel across the city for work or entertainment. I, for example, live in Woodland Hills and it is my "small town". Within a 5-10 minute drive I have 4 malls, all the big box stores, high rise office buildings, lots of nice restaurants and a big park where they have concerts on Sundays in the summer. If I didn't work around Los Angeles and need to travel the freeways, I really wouldn't know or care that the rest of it was even there.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:11 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,337,835 times
Agreed. In fact reason #264 of why I love greater LA because one gets the best of both worlds in having the advantages and amenities of a world class, international city, while still being able to feel like you have aspects of being a small town environment. Actually though it depends where, NELA neighborhoods feel a little more like villages (between DTLA and Pasadena) but if you can have a more true big city environment anywhere along the Wilshire corridor from DTLA all the way to Santa Monica if you want.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:04 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,325,253 times
Quite frankly I think the first site of Los Angeles makes some people want to vomit. To be sure, some of this is pre-conceived notions of what "Hollywood" is supposed to look like and/or notions about what physical form a "true city" should embody.

Take a drive down Century Blvd from LAX and what do you see?

But hey we got the Imperial Highway, Century Blvd, Victory Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd, 6th Street....we love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b5LzCOc98E

Old 04-19-2016, 12:49 AM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
When you fly into LAX for the first time at night seeing the "GRID" feature of roads and lights it's quite impressive.

Until you're stuck on the 405, or 10 or 101, or 110 and can't move because you're stuck in traffic.. then the shine wears off quickly.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:15 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Why would sprawl be a shock to people from small towns? Small towns are just a bunch of small buildings sprawled out. Los Angeles would probably be much more comfortable for someone from a small town than, say, NYC.
Maybe more comfortable than NYC but still it would be shock. This may not be bad, but certainly would be an experience that is new to them and would take a while to get accustom to, just like moving from Los Angeles to a small town would take time.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:45 AM

807 posts, read 657,159 times
I'd argue that the sprawl is actually more advantageous for those who prefer a small town feel.

For instance, if you're in NYC or SF city proper, it's quite dense.

However, in LA city proper, there are multiple places in the Valley such as Woodland Hills or Chatsworth that have a suburban feel closer to a small town. Even an area like Eagle Rock, which is still pretty close to Downtown LA, has a relatively small town feel.

I'd say LA is one of the few places where it feels less like a big city in certain areas.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:26 AM

12,840 posts, read 23,194,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
Or better question, did it impress you in anyway?
How can it impress if it was all I knew?

It's like a slightly cleaner TJ. At least that's how I'd explain it to newly arrived campesinos.

LA scares the crap out of a lot of people, even in the IE and the deserts. Too big, too dirty, too much Spanish language, etc.

The GLAMA is huge, there's no disputing that. The view from airplanes is proof.

As to whether or not it would be a culture shock to small-towners, it would depend on the small town, the location of said small town, the demographic makeup of said small town, and a host of other factors that cannot adequately be measured. To be honest, going from an environment like to Los Angeles to most anything smaller takes a lot of getting used to.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:12 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,938,315 times
When I moved to LA, I was really excited about the high rises. Where I came from, the tallest building was only 4 stories tall.

Also, about 100 miles from my town, there was an intersection where two freeways passed over each other. It was so exciting to me to see all these freeways intersecting!

I always wanted to live in a city so I was thrilled by LA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or