U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 04:45 PM

24,169 posts, read 13,685,578 times

Advertisements

This is a good article
$15 Minimum Wage Will Decimate West Hollywood, Says Op-Ed - Eater LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 05:18 PM

8,372 posts, read 8,444,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Look up the franchise statement. And while you are readiing that portion (as I recall it is on page 36 of the download), note that it doesn't say they make $1 million on $2.6 million in sales. It says, and this was right in that quote, "from $500,000 - $1 million". Period. End of sentence.

The $2.6 million figure is a statement of average gross revenues for franchises open at least one year in the U.S.

Rough extrapolations might guess that the margins then could be as high as 20%. But that's a guess without more information.
I know they all vary a bit, but if they have those low margins to get to 500k in profit you have to have way more in sales. Im sure the profit is gross numbers as well.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:23 PM

10,325 posts, read 6,380,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Jm - do you see on your link that it says: "Says Op-Ed"? Do you know what "Op-Ed" is? Explain what it is about total opinion pieces that you believe constitutes anything more concrete than any random knucklehead spouting off about any topic on a street corner.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:41 PM

UC Berkeley Touts $15 Wage Law, Then Fires Hundreds After It Passe | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

Old 04-22-2016, 05:55 PM

Another opinion piece without data substantiation. It doesn't even provide any evidence that the layoffs were due to rising wages. Layoffs occur all the time in any industry for a wide variety of reasons. Evidence in other places with higher minimum wages shows that minimum wage hikes in of themselves are not job killers. Wage increases may well kill jobs in conjunction with other factors unique to different markets. But, so far, in any of these threads on the recent wage law hike, not one poster has identified a set of criteria that has proven to kill jobs. Nothing but speculative opinion. I'm not saying the hike won't kill jobs. I'm saying that in of itself, wage hikes elsewhere haven't caused the problems opinions are predicting. Give some meat with your opinionated arguments, for cryin out loud.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 PM

368 posts, read 286,499 times
Everytime I hear this minimum wage discussion, it makes me instantly think of my local 7/11 Store. Here goes....

There is a 7/11 Store, 50 yds down the street from me. Been going there now, nearly everyday for 8 years. I know the owner & his wife by name. They both seem like good people. Id imagine their workers are all paid minimum wage & 7/11 isnt exactly "cheap" when it comes to booze or a bag of Oreo's. MUCH pricier than WalMart.

That being said, every year, this couple are driving a new Benz or Lexus. Always makes me laugh. Personally, I find it VERY hard to believe that they STILL WOULDNT be driving a new Benz every year, even if they threw the kids a couple more bucks an hour.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Jm - do you see on your link that it says: "Says Op-Ed"? Do you know what "Op-Ed" is? Explain what it is about total opinion pieces that you believe constitutes anything more concrete than any random knucklehead spouting off about any topic on a street corner.
Yes I know what an op Ed is .. But did you see that the writer of the op Ed was a former West Hollywood city council member too ?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes I know what an op Ed is .. But did you see that the writer of the op Ed was a former West Hollywood city council member too ?
What difference does it make who it is? It's speculative O-P-I-N-I-O-N. It could be the man in the moon or Jesus Christ and it would still be opinion without substantiation.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
Everytime I hear this minimum wage discussion, it makes me instantly think of my local 7/11 Store. Here goes....

There is a 7/11 Store, 50 yds down the street from me. Been going there now, nearly everyday for 8 years. I know the owner & his wife by name. They both seem like good people. Id imagine their workers are all paid minimum wage & 7/11 isnt exactly "cheap" when it comes to booze or a bag of Oreo's. MUCH pricier than WalMart.

That being said, every year, this couple are driving a new Benz or Lexus. Always makes me laugh. Personally, I find it VERY hard to believe that they STILL WOULDNT be driving a new Benz every year, even if they threw the kids a couple more bucks an hour.
Well driving a new Benz or Lexus isn't necessarily a sign of doing great . You can lease one for a few hundred a month or so .

Old 04-23-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Another opinion piece without data substantiation. It doesn't even provide any evidence that the layoffs were due to rising wages. Layoffs occur all the time in any industry for a wide variety of reasons. Evidence in other places with higher minimum wages shows that minimum wage hikes in of themselves are not job killers. Wage increases may well kill jobs in conjunction with other factors unique to different markets. But, so far, in any of these threads on the recent wage law hike, not one poster has identified a set of criteria that has proven to kill jobs. Nothing but speculative opinion. I'm not saying the hike won't kill jobs. I'm saying that in of itself, wage hikes elsewhere haven't caused the problems opinions are predicting. Give some meat with your opinionated arguments, for cryin out loud.

Ok I'll take a picture of the first kiosk I see at mcdonalds or carls jr. It's simple economics. Now you're talking large companies who watch every cost to the dime. Small businesses could suffer more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles