U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:55 AM

44,633 posts, read 43,151,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Amen.
I live in the Atlanta area and I've been to Glendale. Oddly enough, I never saw an Armenian flag flying. On the other hand, on the outskirts of metro Atlanta, I've seen alot of Confederate flags, and some very bigoted people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,977,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I live in the Atlanta area and I've been to Glendale. Oddly enough, I never saw an Armenian flag flying. On the other hand, on the outskirts of metro Atlanta, I've seen alot of Confederate flags, and some very bigoted people.
I was born and raised here in Los Angeles, and have never seen either flag being waved. Where I live, one either sees the American or Mexican flag waving. As 2Pac said in "To Live and Die in L.A.," it wouldn't be L.A. without Mexicans.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 AM

24,217 posts, read 13,710,461 times
Quote:
I was born and raised here in Los Angeles, and have never seen either flag being waved. Where I live, one either sees the American or Mexican flag waving. As 2Pac said in "To Live and Die in L.A.," it wouldn't be L.A. without Mexicans.
The line just would of sounded different if he said
"Wouldn't be L.A, without Armenians"

Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I think it depends on where you go. I was in Glendale, known for it's large Armenian population. Alot of the hotel staff was Armenian. The Armenian consulate wasn't far away. However, no people flying the Armenian flag from their cars.

Mexican flags, I didn't see much of either. It depends on where you are. However, LA was once part of Mexico, so Tupac's song has some validity.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 AM

24,217 posts, read 13,710,461 times
Quote:
I think it depends on where you go. I was in Glendale, known for it's large Armenian population. Alot of the hotel staff was Armenian. The Armenian consulate wasn't far away. However, no people flying the Armenian flag from their cars.

Mexican flags, I didn't see much of either. It depends on where you are. However, LA was once part of Mexico, so Tupac's song has some validity.
You were in Glendale when? In late April it was the Armenian Genocide Remembrance day , but generally you don't see flags year round.
This is similar to how might see the U.S flag around a holiday like 4th of July.
It seemed much more common to see them this year for some reason, not sure if this year had more significance or maybe organizations gave out a bunch of free flags,etc.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You were in Glendale when? In late April it was the Armenian Genocide Remembrance day , but generally you don't see flags year round.
This is similar to how might see the U.S flag around a holiday like 4th of July.
It seemed much more common to see them this year for some reason, not sure if this year had more significance or maybe organizations gave out a bunch of free flags,etc.
I was there in May.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:01 AM

38,769 posts, read 37,960,929 times
I'm not really thrilled by seeing any flag other than the US flag. I think you should assimilate to whatever country you're in. If Mexico or Armenia is so great then by all means show yourself the door then. I'm really not offended by them, I guess I'm just curious as to why they are here in the first place???

Old 05-02-2016, 11:06 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,169,376 times
Quote:
I've always wondered why I used to see Confederate Flags on the 20 or 75/85 in ATL but I never see them in NO. When I was in college we used to go to parties at Georgia Tech and we were warned to stay away from certain frats. Some of them had confederate flags draped from their windows. I never seen it in New Orleans though even though there is a big fuss right to to remove confederate monuments throughout the city.

My bad to hijack this thread. I honestly don't care if Armenians are proud to be Armenian.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I've always wondered why I used to see Confederate Flags on the 20 or 75/85 in ATL but I never see them in NO. When I was in college we used to go to parties at Georgia Tech and we were warned to stay away from certain frats. Some of them had confederate flags draped from their windows. I never seen it in New Orleans though even though there is a big fuss right to to remove confederate monuments throughout the city.

My bad to hijack this thread. I honestly don't care if Armenians are proud to be Armenian.
What years did you grow up in the Atlanta area? I have never heard of GA Tech having Confederate-related frats. There was one at Kennesaw State in 2011.

Places I've seen the Confederate flag flown: Paulding County, and Douglas County.

As for New Orleans, that is a different city. Far different from Atlanta.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:20 AM

3,780 posts, read 2,400,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The line just would of sounded different if he said
"Wouldn't be L.A, without Armenians"
Would have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or