Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times

Advertisements

In my area , which has a hispanic majority. I've received a flyer from a nearby business (which has since gone out of business) stating they are "Latino Owned" ..that type of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Makes me wonder if they were even Latino owned or just trying to cater to a demographic.

Also there have been 'popup' used car lots where they have a bunch of Mexican flags flying.
Again obviously trying to get the attention of a certain demographic...but who knows if the people running the car lot were even Mexican or not.

Personally I think it's just bad business.

Travelling through Florida , I had seen at least one motel or hotel with a sign claiming they were "American Owned"
That left a pretty bad taste in my mouth too.
Indians are known for running motels/hotels so I'm guessing they are trying to get people that don't want to stay in an Indian owned motel...but an Indian living here could have every right to call themselves American too...

I wouldn't patronize a business that claimed to be hispanic owned, American owned, or anything else owned. Terrible business practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 12:30 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
The OP is ALWAYS complaining about Armenians in general. The way they drive, and now he has a problem with them waving the Armenian flag.

This thread makes me want to go out and buy a gigantic poster with Africa right in the middle of it and hang it outside my house.
Ah I see, thanks for the clarification.

Should have known...

Old 04-18-2016, 01:12 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
The OP is ALWAYS complaining about Armenians in general. The way they drive, and now he has a problem with them waving the Armenian flag.

This thread makes me want to go out and buy a gigantic poster with Africa right in the middle of it and hang it outside my house.
Well, it didn't read "Africa" in big bold letters on it, most would take it for South America and wonder if you were Puerto Rican or Brazilian.

On a more serious note, he is NOT always complaining about Armenians. He is likely to be living in an area where he might be encountering them frequently. I did a search using the keyword and his user name, came up with only one (this one) in the last year that is directly about Armenians. Always? Please, stop exaggerating.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 04-18-2016 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 01:17 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I thought it odd that the OP would choose to focus on this particular ethnic group, in Los Angeles, to pick a bone about people in America flying the native flag of their peoples. If y'all know what I mean.

But then I realized I think I know what the OP's doing. The OP chose a 'safer' ethnicity to bring up the issue of nativism and patriotism, instead of focusing on the usual group of people who get criticized for flying foreign flags in L.A.

Nice tactic.
I live in Glendale.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:51 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
In NYC and I mainly just see Puerto Rican flags, usually hung up on people's windows. There are a lot of Mexicans in NYC too, but the only time I ever see a Mexican flag is if it's a Mexican restaurant or car service company. In general I don't see a lot of flags unless it's one of the small ones you hang from your rear view mirror.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:46 PM

27 posts, read 27,999 times
I read most but not all of this thread. I'm in the camp that agrees it is ok to fly an international flag in America. If Americans truly believe this is the land of democracy and freedom, flying another nation's flag should be considered just fine.

Present-day America was developed by white Europeans who stole this land from Native Americans and Mexicans. White Europeans killed off 95% of all Native Americans and enslaved people from Africa for much of its history. There is blatant racism exhibited throughout American history. Of all people, Americans should be most understanding of other cultures being displayed freely in its borders, considering these gross acts committed throughout history.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Many of them are US born which makes it worse. My grandparents survived the Holocaust and they were not running around flying Israeli flags, or Polish or German. They were extremely proud to be Americans when they immigrated.
Ryan, you just purchased a nice condo out in Santa Clarita, so at this stage in the game why do you care?

You're like the person who just got their new dream job, gave their two weeks notice, and yet they're still going to whine about their micromanaging boss who in a few days will never have to deal with again.

Coming from Boston you surely saw Irish, Italian, Greek, etc. Americans who displayed flags of those countries.

Your grandparents sound like amazing people, but I can tell growing up in NY in the 70s as a kid it was "Israel this, and Israel that" among Jewish people in NY. Many of whom never stepped foot in Israel, yet were more supportive of Israel than the US....sorry it's the truth.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
The sad thing is I haven't seen a Laker flag on a car in a LONG time.
lol true

Old 04-18-2016, 04:03 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Well, it didn't read "Africa" in big bold letters on it, most would take it for South America and wonder if you were Puerto Rican or Brazilian.

On a more serious note, he is NOT always complaining about Armenians. He is likely to be living in an area where he might be encountering them frequently. I did a search using the keyword and his user name, came up with only one (this one) in the last year that is directly about Armenians. Always? Please, stop exaggerating.
And I just looked through your posting history and you rarely post in this forum, for the most part. The majority of my posts are here.

Again, he always speak ill of Armenians. Why do you think someone else asked why he has a problem with Armenians? It's because he's brought up issues multiple times. Visit here more often and you'll see.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:10 PM

198 posts, read 211,111 times
Heres the deal.....everyone wants their own ethnic group represented......Go Armenians....you are great people, wave your flag. Not enough attention to the Armenian genocide until recently...

Unless we at war with a particular country...they should be able to wave their flag....as the US flag should wave in other countries and it does. I think that it just shows friendship between the countries.

Ever been to St. Patty's parade in Boston or Chi town.....again as long as the country is US ally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles