U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 12:29 PM

6,379 posts, read 4,531,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Do you want a hotel or a motel? If your only criteria is that you want a cheap motel I would suggest Vagabond inn. It is a motel just south of downtown,You can walk to the staples center from the motel, it's that close and near the metro plus it is in the heart of USC area. It is safe and a lot of university students live around it.
Thanks man I found this

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0240...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Is this the place??
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,875,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Ok I found a place using Airbnb. Its in the neighborhood of Gardena. Not sure if that is a good or bad place. Google maps the streets around it look pretty clean. Now Im curious about what all there is do in LA. Im sure there are tons. What can you guys tell me about this Gardena place? Good and Bad.
Is your budget that low? Plenty of good Airbnb places in great areas of LA.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:55 PM

3,780 posts, read 2,402,392 times
1. Where does her dad live?
2. What is your budget?
3. Will you have a car?

Start there, this way it would be easier for us to give you advice. Otherwise, L.A. is huge. And, as someone has pointed out, Inglewood IS east of LAX, so not sure exactly where you're looking.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Is your budget that low? Plenty of good Airbnb places in great areas of LA.
lol ha ha ha ha, What are you taking about?

Old 04-27-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
1. Where does her dad live?
2. What is your budget?
3. Will you have a car?

Start there, this way it would be easier for us to give you advice. Otherwise, L.A. is huge. And, as someone has pointed out, Inglewood IS east of LAX, so not sure exactly where you're looking.
Found a place on Airbnb, will be renting a car yes. Her father lives in 90047, but we are not staying with him, we coming there to visit, ive never meet him though. Im just doing research on L A now seeing what its all about. I do like to people watch. L A seems to have a lot going on. Im from Florida so im ok with hot temps. From a local point of view where do people recommend to eat? Non chains. Im not even sure what all I want to see in the week I am there. Venice Beach seems my vibe from what I am reading. Still doing a crash course in all things LA. Ill try to take in as much as possible then give my review. Im taking all recommendations.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Found a place on Airbnb, will be renting a car yes.
Gardena isn't what I would call a desirable spot. Depending on how much you paid on Airbnb, you might be able to grab a hotel by the airport, pay less and stay in a safer area. Seriously, if the Airbnb place can be canceled without penalty, I'd at least consider it. I'm happy to at least try to look for a hotel room in the area for you if you tell me what your dates and budget are.
Quote:
Her father lives in 90047, but we are not staying with him, we coming there to visit, ive never meet him though.
90047 is pretty deep in Inglewood territory, makes sense not to want to stay around there.
Quote:
From a local point of view where do people recommend to eat? Im just doing research on L A now seeing what its all about. I do like to people watch. L A seems to have a lot going on.
That's fairly accurate but it's also a pretty generic statement to make. "L.A." is enormous, so it's hard to pinpoint the exact recommended locations, but King Taco is an L.A. relic for a reason, I'd check it out for sure. Also go to the Grove in Hollywood, kind of a default visitor's spot with lots of food options in the market.
Quote:
Venice Beach seems my vibe from what I am reading. Still doing a crash course in all things LA. Ill try to take in as much as possible then give my review. Im taking all recommendations.
Venice can be fun if maybe a little sketchy. Check out the canals there - it's a really nice neighborhood with different houses right on the water and walkable pathways. I doubt you will be able to see enough in a week to "give a review". I honestly wouldn't bother with that, just enjoy yourself.

In order for us to give better recommendations it would be helpful to know some things about you, like:

- What kind of food do you like?
- What kind of social activities do you prefer?
- What kind of budget are you on? For example, there's a place in West L.A. I love but would hesitate to recommend if spending $30-50 per person for dinner and drinks is too much.

Look at Wikitravel, as well, lots of good beginner's info there.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
lol ha ha ha ha, What are you taking about?
What he's talking about is that if all you can afford is Gardena, it must be a really cheap place you found on Airbnb; however, if it's not $20-30/night, for the same price you found there you could probably get a place in a better spot.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Gardena isn't what I would call a desirable spot. Depending on how much you paid on Airbnb, you might be able to grab a hotel by the airport, pay less and stay in a safer area. Seriously, if the Airbnb place can be canceled without penalty, I'd at least consider it. I'm happy to at least try to look for a hotel room in the area for you if you tell me what your dates and budget are.90047 is pretty deep in Inglewood territory, makes sense not to want to stay around there. That's fairly accurate but it's also a pretty generic statement to make. "L.A." is enormous, so it's hard to pinpoint the exact recommended locations, but King Taco is an L.A. relic for a reason, I'd check it out for sure. Also go to the Grove in Hollywood, kind of a default visitor's spot with lots of food options in the market.Venice can be fun if maybe a little sketchy. Check out the canals there - it's a really nice neighborhood with different houses right on the water and walkable pathways. I doubt you will be able to see enough in a week to "give a review". I honestly wouldn't bother with that, just enjoy yourself.

In order for us to give better recommendations it would be helpful to know some things about you, like:

- What kind of food do you like?
- What kind of social activities do you prefer?
- What kind of budget are you on? For example, there's a place in West L.A. I love but would hesitate to recommend if spending $30-50 per person for dinner and drinks is too much.

Look at Wikitravel, as well, lots of good beginner's info there.
I like all sorts of food, barbeque, mexican, chinese. I dont really like chains. I try to avoid them at all cost when traveling. As far as social activities I dont know anyone there other than her dad, but we are the adventurous type, so the we can do lots of cool things, ill say this I want to see and do things Atlanta and Orlando doesnt have. So those are the things we are mostly interested in seeing or doing. Im not a shallow bougie person, so the Hollywood stuff is not going to give me a major turn on. One thing I am curious about is the special lanes on the expressways, those lanes you have to have a special pass to drive on. Will definitely check out King Taco, im looking them up right now. I like writing reviews. So ill write a review on our whole trip. Ill look up this Grove place as well. THANKS MAN

Old 04-27-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I like all sorts of food, barbeque, mexican, chinese. I dont really like chains. I try to avoid them at all cost when traveling. As far as social activities I dont know anyone there other than her dad, but we are the adventurous type, so the we can do lots of cool things, ill say this I want to see and do things Atlanta and Orlando doesnt have. So those are the things we are mostly interested in seeing or doing. Im not a shallow bougie person, so the Hollywood stuff is not going to give me a major turn on. One thing I am curious about is the special lanes on the expressways, those lanes you have to have a special pass to drive on. Will definitely check out King Taco, im looking them up right now. I like writing reviews. So ill write a review on our whole trip. Ill look up this Grove place as well. THANKS MAN
Still pretty generic (nobody really likes chains) but maybe I can throw some suggestions out there based on what you've told me. Or just look at a list like this one.

Check out Little Osaka (Sawtelle/Olympic) for varied Asian food options. Hermosa Beach has a nice little waterfront square with great food options. If you want to go hipster-ish, go to Echo Park/Silverlake (read up on them) and on your way there find any of the hundreds of food trucks (Google is your friend) and pick what works best for you. For a slightly more upscale location, check out Pasadena. The drive from around Playa Vista to Rancho Palos Verdes is a great way to kill an afternoon and enjoy some scenery (Hermosa is on the way). The L.A. Zoo (on the way to Pasadena from the West) is worth a trip. Also, take a look at this list for some suggestions.

The special lanes are for carpools (2+ people/car) and those hybrids/electric vehicles whose owners managed to get a sticker while CA was still handing them out.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:03 AM

I have some questions.

What are the worse sections of traffic in Los Angeles, what expressways or highways should I avoid when there?

What are the average temperatures this month (July) in the Los Angeles area?

My party and I will be there for the first time next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or