U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:47 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,343,951 times

Advertisements

Worst sections is everywhere from the 10 freeway up to just over the mountains into the valley from East LA to Santa Monica. The rest is ok to drive around.

Avoid the 405, 10, 101, 110, and especially the 5 and worst is rush hour from 6-10am and 3-7 pm. I think I got them all.

Average temps are near mid 80s for Hollywood/Downtown area. about low 90s for valleys, mid 70s for beaches and 100s in deserts. But check weather it could be a heat wave week.
Other week its been hot but now Its been cool this week with June Gloom/No Sky July weather where it is cloudy/foggy in morning but burns off mid day. Just check this ABC local site for weather Mega Doppler 7000 HD | Los Angeles Weather News | abc7.com it shows the micro climates for the week rather than an overall general weather you might see on the your phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:05 PM

6,382 posts, read 4,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Worst sections is everywhere from the 10 freeway up to just over the mountains into the valley from East LA to Santa Monica. The rest is ok to drive around.

Avoid the 405, 10, 101, 110, and especially the 5 and worst is rush hour from 6-10am and 3-7 pm. I think I got them all.

Average temps are near mid 80s for Hollywood/Downtown area. about low 90s for valleys, mid 70s for beaches and 100s in deserts. But check weather it could be a heat wave week.
Other week its been hot but now Its been cool this week with June Gloom/No Sky July weather where it is cloudy/foggy in morning but burns off mid day. Just check this ABC local site for weather Mega Doppler 7000 HD | Los Angeles Weather News | abc7.com it shows the micro climates for the week rather than an overall general weather you might see on the your phone.
That's Sabanana! How is weekend traffic? Lighter or more heavy? Packing for our trip do wanna make sure I pack the right kind of clothes. I've read even though it's summer LA can be chilly at night. We have looked any many local restaurants online and on YouTube. Lots of cool places to eat, makes me wonder which places to avoid or which could be overrated. All of them look and seem great through. I think we may check out some of the local museums there as well, still deciding which would be the best ones.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:31 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,343,951 times
Weekend traffic isnt as bad as rush hour but it isnt great. Traffic flows and slows rather than standstill - so lighter but ocassional traffic at times especially early evenings when people head home after a long day or head out for dinner or to party. Going towards the beach youll get lots of traffic because it is summer and hot inland.

Mostly T-shirt shorts weather during the summer day and cooler at night but pleasant until 8 or 9pm Dry heat mostly so it cools down faster than a humid day. But I wouldnt need more than a light sweater or long sleeve shirt. It depends if you get cold easily especially in a breeze by the ocean or air conditioned place. But if you plan to go out to a decent place maybe casual clothes like pants or dressy clothes is more approp than shorts and tank top.

For places to eat, I just use Yelp to find a place. I put in the location and food or bar and read reviews. Eater LA is a good web site and LA weekly is too and they often make list of places like best Korean BBQ in Koreatown or whatever. But Yelp is a good place to see reviews and post your own review also tripadvisor.

For museums there are too many and too many kinds
My top 10 in no order
Getter Center, LACMA, The Broad, Huntington Library, CA Science Center, Petersen, Grammy Museum, Norton Simon, Natural History Museum, MOCA Grand Ave.
#11 would be Griffith OBservatory but not really a museum is it. more planetarium

Last edited by saybanana; 07-06-2016 at 10:47 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 12:06 AM

18 posts, read 22,452 times
0nyx:
- Second the earlier recommendations mentioned (including the 1930s Farmer's Market @ Grove)
- FOOD. Another idea -- In-n-Out is technically a chain but a local favorite (think Five Guys, Whataburger, etc) and a quality chain. Quality burger for same price as McD's. Yeah better burgers out there but for $2? Ditto the food truck scene, good and inexpensive. it's definitely an "LA thing" too. Google to see what's where.
- If you're thinking museums, what Saybanna just said is perfect. Getty Center is free, good views. Broad (downtown) is brand new. Petersen is a classic car museum near LACMA, $15 or so for admission. LACMA also great.
- Avoid Hollywood anyway. Overrated. Sounds like you're planning on it.

Weekend traffic a little lighter but parts of the freeways always busy (the 101, the 110) always busy. No sporting events going on right now so you won't have that.

Pack summer weather for sure. Less humid than southeast (no humidity here, really) but bring a layer at night just in case, you're right in what you heard, it can get a bit chilly depending on where you are in the city.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:55 PM

We just landed in LA yesterday. Looking for a way to do the TarPits, Petersen Museum and LACMA in one day, but curious what would be the best location to park for the day. If anyone knows please share Google map coordinates. I can find the lock or deck from there.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:02 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,789,209 times
Parking info is here; scroll down to the bottom of the page for a list of alternates: Directions and Parking | LACMA

Old 07-14-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Weekend traffic isnt as bad as rush hour but it isnt great. Traffic flows and slows rather than standstill - so lighter but ocassional traffic at times especially early evenings when people head home after a long day or head out for dinner or to party. Going towards the beach youll get lots of traffic because it is summer and hot inland.

Mostly T-shirt shorts weather during the summer day and cooler at night but pleasant until 8 or 9pm Dry heat mostly so it cools down faster than a humid day. But I wouldnt need more than a light sweater or long sleeve shirt. It depends if you get cold easily especially in a breeze by the ocean or air conditioned place. But if you plan to go out to a decent place maybe casual clothes like pants or dressy clothes is more approp than shorts and tank top.

For places to eat, I just use Yelp to find a place. I put in the location and food or bar and read reviews. Eater LA is a good web site and LA weekly is too and they often make list of places like best Korean BBQ in Koreatown or whatever. But Yelp is a good place to see reviews and post your own review also tripadvisor.

For museums there are too many and too many kinds
My top 10 in no order
Getter Center, LACMA, The Broad, Huntington Library, CA Science Center, Petersen, Grammy Museum, Norton Simon, Natural History Museum, MOCA Grand Ave.
#11 would be Griffith OBservatory but not really a museum is it. more planetarium
we will most likely visit Griffith Tonight after dinner. We plan to do the LACMA area tomorrow, but not sure the best parking option. Want to park once and foot the rest until we head back to our place. We went to In and Out...wasn't really impressed. Some guy at my wife's job bragged about it....it was the first place we stopped after leaving LAX before seeing relatives. You guys drive crazy as heII here.I loved it! Very agreesive very masculine very Tim the Toolman Taylor. Go Speedracer Go. Wife hates it, LA is scary for her so I am doing all the driving until someone gets killed. I see many none chain local spots to eat. I love the grided streets as well. I haven't been on the highway-expressway yet. We are mainly in the Gardena-Hawthorne-Inglewood areas where the family lives. If anyone has any favorite spots there, let me know. If not cool and thanks

Old 07-16-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestToLA View Post
0nyx:
- Second the earlier recommendations mentioned (including the 1930s Farmer's Market @ Grove)
- FOOD. Another idea -- In-n-Out is technically a chain but a local favorite (think Five Guys, Whataburger, etc) and a quality chain. Quality burger for same price as McD's. Yeah better burgers out there but for $2? Ditto the food truck scene, good and inexpensive. it's definitely an "LA thing" too. Google to see what's where.
- If you're thinking museums, what Saybanna just said is perfect. Getty Center is free, good views. Broad (downtown) is brand new. Petersen is a classic car museum near LACMA, $15 or so for admission. LACMA also great.
- Avoid Hollywood anyway. Overrated. Sounds like you're planning on it.

Weekend traffic a little lighter but parts of the freeways always busy (the 101, the 110) always busy. No sporting events going on right now so you won't have that.

Pack summer weather for sure. Less humid than southeast (no humidity here, really) but bring a layer at night just in case, you're right in what you heard, it can get a bit chilly depending on where you are in the city.
Ok so here is what is left on our list. Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier, LACMA, Pedersen, La Brea Tarpits. We want some Korean Barbecue but not sure where to go. The Getty Center was on our list, but our experience getting to Griffith Observatory was such a pain. Probably the worst part of our trip so far. Was not impressed with In and Out and the Groves Farmers market wasn't really a Farmers Market at all, more like a food court. I didn't see any fresh fruit or veggies anywhere. Lots of candy, baked goods and pastries. Lots of LA post cards and novelty items. Then we come out and see both Whole Foods and Trader Joes across the street??!! Maybe we can still try the Getty, what do folks recommend the best time to make that drive? What is the least amount of Traffic? Looking for some great places to eat still. So far Roscoes on Manchester, The SmokeHouse near Warner Bros and Orochon Ramen in Little Tokyo are the pluses. Farmer Boy and In and Out have been our negatives. Looking for more pluses though. Any recommendations are appreciated. Really trying yo enjoy or time here.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:35 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,985,452 times
How did you miss the produce sections in Farmers Market?

Old 07-18-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
How did you miss the produce sections in Farmers Market?
there wasn't one. Not on Thursday. No fruits no veggies. Completely not there man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or