U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:58 PM

25 posts, read 15,464 times

Advertisements

hi! So, my family and i are looking to move to California because simply for a change of weather and surrounding. We need advice on where we should move! It will be myself, my fiance and my daughter. We would prefer to be by Los Angeles/ Long beach area(family in LB) but we are very open to anywhere in Southern California. In Champaign, we make about $70K together, and our rent with utilities comes out to about $900-$1000. and we live quite comfortably here. But compared to everywhere i see in Southern California, is quite expensive and double what we pay! We're really looking for areas considerably "affordable". One bedroom apartment(because my daughter is still a baby) and anywhere we move, im sure wouldn't be too hard for us to find jobs. He's in sales and I am a admin in small business. We plan to have 3months of rent stacked up when we move so we have time. Just looking for advice on safe neighborhoods/cities suitable for children! AND also would like to keep my commute time less than 30 min (to work or a local grocery store), that may be inevitable but worth a shot haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 04:26 PM

115 posts, read 55,745 times
Stay in Champaign. Your standard of living will take a HUGE hit in SoCal. It would be foolish to show up here with a child in tow and without jobs secured. If you are looking for "affordable" housing, it's usually far away from hubs (i.e. where most of the jobs are located) so your commute will likely be long. Once your child is school-aged, you'll have a whole 'nother set of challenged finding/getting into/affording a good school. Seriously. I lived in Champaign for three years. It's a lovely college town and yes the weather is brutal, but it's a good place to live at your income. I can't imagine a good outcome for your family showing up here as your described. Don't mean to squash your dreams, but I can't in good conscience offer suggestions for what would likely be a disastrous move.

Last edited by huja; 04-18-2016 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-18-2016, 04:33 PM

25 posts, read 15,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huja View Post
Stay in Champaign. Your standard of living take a HUGE hit in SoCal. It would be foolish to show up here with a child in tow and without jobs secured. If you are looking for "affordable" housing, it's usually far away from hubs (i.e. where most of the jobs are located) so your commute will likely be long. Once your child is school-aged, you'll have a whole 'nother set of challenged finding/getting into/affording a good school. Seriously. I lived in Champaign for three years. It's a lovely college town and yes the weather is brutal, but it's a good place to live at your income. I can't imagine a good outcome for your family showing up here as your described. Don't mean to squash your dreams, but I can't in good conscience offer suggestions for what would likely be a disastrous move.
Thank you for your opinion! We recently visited SoCal and just fell in love but i am extremely skeptical about moving bc of our daughter and our financial situation. My fiance on the other hand wants to move very badly. I myself, love our hometown..but he doesnt love it so much. But thank you!!

Old 04-18-2016, 04:44 PM

115 posts, read 55,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabon View Post
Thank you for your opinion! We recently visited SoCal and just fell in love but i am extremely skeptical about moving bc of our daughter and our financial situation. My fiance on the other hand wants to move very badly. I myself, love our hometown..but he doesnt love it so much. But thank you!!
Whatever you decide, I wish you and your family all the best.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:54 PM

11,094 posts, read 9,048,191 times
Definitely line up jobs before moving since you have a little one. Moving to a new area and a little one with only 3 months savings is a recipe for disaster. And if you think it's 3 months, it's probably more like 1.5-2 months savings. Moving isn't cheap (actual move plus securing a new rental etc...).

Old 04-18-2016, 05:08 PM

12,845 posts, read 23,261,350 times
If you can make it with your housing costs potentially doubling, AND you can secure the same incomes, it might be possible. I really hope you don't have any debt/car payments/etc.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:58 PM

50 posts, read 102,585 times
Just make sure you have plenty of savings before you move. I would aim for at least 6 months of living expenses saved up. You should also secure jobs before you move here. It's competitive in every field and a lot of times jobs open up because of who you know.

I am originally from STL and have been out here for almost 7 years. In STL I was middle class but moving here and adjusting to the cost of living made me working class. California is amazing, I can't imagine living anywhere else. There are more opportunities here for sure but you have to have a game plan to make things happen.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-2016, 06:36 PM

300 posts, read 328,997 times
If it's one person making 70K, or if it's 2 people making 70K, but you don't have to pay for childcare, it's definitely doable. I'd look in Long Beach. Now if it's 70K together, keep in mind you're going to have to pay to each get to work unless you both would work from home.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:38 PM

808 posts, read 663,347 times
I personally don't recommend the move. $70K for a family of 3 is going to be tough especially if you're looking to live in a desirable area of LA. Add on childcare costs and it's going to be tough unless you have family who can watch the baby when you guys are at work. Overall, you would have to be very frugal and cut out things like cable, eating out, etc.

That being said, you might be able to secure higher incomes in the LA area given cost of living differences. If you could get your combined income closer to the $90-100K range, then I'd consider the move. However, given that your daughter will be of school age soon, I'd suggest finding areas with good public schools, which means you might need to look at LA suburbs rather than LA city proper. I'd even possible consider some parts of north OC, which is fairly affordable. Nevertheless, areas with better public schools come at a price.

If you decide to move, make sure at least one of you has a job lined up first at the very least.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:03 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,786,910 times
Schools suck and areas with good public schools are expensive. Make sure you research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or