Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:31 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times

Advertisements

Do yourself a favor and read this article Many Middle-Class Americans Are Living Paycheck to Paycheck - The Atlantic. It's only tangentially related to your situation, but has some very strong points about sending kids to dream schools at the risk of the parents' finances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Oxnard might be doable if you guys commuted via Pacific Coast Highway, but it's 40 minutes in NON-rush hours, in NON-rain or high tide or rock falls, on NON-beach sunny popular visiting days, on NON-traffic accident days. PCH gets jammed easily, so figure closer to 1 hour, and that's NON-door-to-door (traveling across campus from parking). But if you can embrace commuting, it's probably doable.

BTW, I know a former Pepperdine professor, and he said the salary was poor, so double check that. A lower income and a higher COL would be unfortunate. And would you be losing tenure?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,509 times
I'm not faculty, which would be even worse, salary wise.. hah. I have been with UT for over 20 years, but I'm an Executive Assistant type position.No, the commute doesn't appeal to me either. Currently, it takes me 45 min to an hour to go 12 miles. So, that's another strike. Brin, thank you for the link, I will definitely look at it. Although, I would say that sending my daughter to any college would be at the risk of my finances. But she has to do the majority of the work.. my finances don't cover any tuition anywhere. That's why it'll be mostly her responsibility. Grants and scholarships, scholarships and grants. No financial aid is my advice. But that will be her lesson to learn; it all depends on how important secondary education is to her. I'm here to help her but I'm certainly not funding it out of my own pocket. Having said that, if I have the opportunity to help her reach that goal, I think it's a goal worth doing my research. Thank you all for your assistance! I really appreciate your kindness.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:12 PM

302 posts, read 453,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Not possible. A 2-bedroom in Calabasas is about $2,200. Same for Agoura Hills.
Actually it's pretty true. I found an apartment at Malibu Canyon in Calabasas for $1650 a month last July. I didn't take it though because there was no good way for me to get to work (I work in Glendale).

Old 04-19-2016, 06:02 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
I could never understand why they don't build some housing on or near that campus. There's nothing but undeveloped land around there. What about that giant lawn in front?

Las Virgenes Calabasas will cost you $1,700 if you find a cheap place at the right time of year. Otherwise more like $1,900. Still a bit of a trek to traverse Malibu Canyon.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:59 PM

581 posts, read 920,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoo61 View Post
I'm not faculty, which would be even worse, salary wise.. hah. I have been with UT for over 20 years, but I'm an Executive Assistant type position.No, the commute doesn't appeal to me either. Currently, it takes me 45 min to an hour to go 12 miles. So, that's another strike. Brin, thank you for the link, I will definitely look at it. Although, I would say that sending my daughter to any college would be at the risk of my finances. But she has to do the majority of the work.. my finances don't cover any tuition anywhere. That's why it'll be mostly her responsibility. Grants and scholarships, scholarships and grants. No financial aid is my advice. But that will be her lesson to learn; it all depends on how important secondary education is to her. I'm here to help her but I'm certainly not funding it out of my own pocket. Having said that, if I have the opportunity to help her reach that goal, I think it's a goal worth doing my research. Thank you all for your assistance! I really appreciate your kindness.
You need to grow up and realize that your preteen daughter should not rule your life! Yes it would be "cool" to brag to her friends that she's going to attend a college in Malibu California. You can't remotely afford that. The CoL between Austin and any area remotely close to Pepperdine is hugely different. Why don't you let her grow up some more and see if she has the aptitude to complete a four year degree at a so so university.

The number of private high schools turning out very bright students in Southern California is staggering. You want to put her in a public high school with the hope of her being excepted into Pepperdine is a real stretch. You haven't even mentioned what her area of continued interest/study is...Papperdine MBA's are marginally accepted in business these days.

Last edited by murfslaw; 04-19-2016 at 11:14 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
You need to grow up and realize that your preteen daughter should not rule your life! Yes it would be "cool" to brag to her friends that she's going to attend a college in Malibu California. You can't remotely afford that. The CoL between Austin and any area remotely close to Pepperdine is hugely different. Why don't you let her grow up some more and see if she has the aptitude to complete a four year degree at a so so university.

The number of private high schools turning out very bright students in Southern California is staggering. You want to put her in a public high school with the hope of her being excepted into Pepperdine is a real stretch. You haven't even mentioned what her area of continued interest/study is...Papperdine MBA's are marginally accepted in business these days.
One thing i havent seen mentioned: dont put stock in where a FRESHMAN in HS wants to go to school. They generally are just dreaming at that point and will change their interests multiple times in the next four years. My son fell in love with MULTIPLE schools and career paths before deciding, even into his senior year! Imagine this: you move out there, uproot your whole life, and then two years from now she falls in love with a school in south carolina and no longer gives a damn about pepperdine. Are you going to tell her "no, you must go to pepperdine after all my work, even if you are no longer interested in the programs they are good at." That puts you in a HORRIBLE position. You are the boss, not your daughter. Also, living in socal on an exec asst salary at a college will be a lesson in poverty. Dont do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles