U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2016, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,154 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11364

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yes. Please. This needs to be shut down. It's so racist I can't believe it wasn't shut down immediately. Just because someone is black, isn't rich, and doesn't dress the same way as mainstream white people do does NOT mean they're ghetto.
How does a 'mainstream white person' dress?...
Isn't that kind of a stereotype too?

 
Old 04-20-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,166,080 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
How does a 'mainstream white person' dress?...
Isn't that kind of a stereotype too?
No lol
 
Old 04-20-2016, 12:43 PM
 
219 posts, read 176,977 times
Reputation: 109
Ghetto in Los Angeles 99% of the time does not mean black.
 
Old 04-20-2016, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Playa Del Rey
180 posts, read 142,824 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu1 View Post
I have been to this mall a few times for lunch with coworkers as I work not to far from it. The mall itself is in good condition but I have noticed that some of the crowd represent a section of society we would mostly want to avoid. The whole empty cop cars parked in front of the mall just gives off a sense of potential trouble. Personally I would not go there outside of my lunch hour.
Agreed. The mall is in good condition but some of the patrons are questionable (has nothing to do with skin color).
 
Old 04-20-2016, 12:51 PM
 
5,619 posts, read 13,301,589 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
How does a 'mainstream white person' dress?...
Isn't that kind of a stereotype too?
Celebrities like actors and models and the magazine covers. They are "mainstream" white people style and white people are expected to dress like them. They are seen as the fashion idols. I'm not sure why, but that's our American culture. Just because a black woman from Ladera Heights doesn't dress like a rich white female celebrity, that doesn't mean she's inherently ghetto. She dresses differently. That's it.
 
Old 04-20-2016, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
So your argument is, I've never been but I'm going to assume that there is a ghetto element? What? Can you at least go for yourself lol. It's not like these people don't go to the Grove or Century City or West Side Pavilion. Some people just really love to call people they have no interaction with "ghetto."
Those malls aren't that far from Crenshaw and Mid City. Certainly close enough for people to drive there in large numbers.
 
Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,154 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11364
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Celebrities like actors and models and the magazine covers. They are "mainstream" white people style and white people are expected to dress like them. They are seen as the fashion idols. I'm not sure why, but that's our American culture. Just because a black woman from Ladera Heights doesn't dress like a rich white female celebrity, that doesn't mean she's inherently ghetto. She dresses differently. That's it.
But see ..you are stereotyping. "The way a rich white female celebrity" dresses.
Also magazine covers? It's only white people on magazine covers?
I don't agree that all white people are expected to dress like white celebrities

Just like I don't agree that all black people are expected to dress like black celebrities..
 
Old 04-20-2016, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,408 posts, read 1,960,621 times
Reputation: 10027
I appraise homes in Ladera Heights and surrounding areas all the time, so I sometimes stop by the mall to grab lunch at Five Guys. While I think it's fair to say that there might be a higher percentage of Black patrons at this mall, in what world does this translate to "ghetto"? I thought this kind of BS thinking was in our past, but I guess not.
 
Old 04-20-2016, 01:03 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,166,080 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But see ..you are stereotyping. "The way a rich white female celebrity" dresses.
Also magazine covers? It's only white people on magazine covers?
I don't agree that all white people are expected to dress like white celebrities

Just like I don't agree that all black people are expected to dress like black celebrities..
But what about calling them welfare queens and babymamas? your missing the point.
 
Old 04-20-2016, 01:05 PM
 
5,619 posts, read 13,301,589 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But see ..you are stereotyping. "The way a rich white female celebrity" dresses.
Also magazine covers? It's only white people on magazine covers?
I don't agree that all white people are expected to dress like white celebrities

Just like I don't agree that all black people are expected to dress like black celebrities..
You know what I mean. Come on. There is a typical American standard of beauty that always involves a thin white woman wearing a specific style of clothing. Idk anything about fashion, so I can't explain it though lol. But we all know that the US has a very specific standard of beauty. It's very rare that that standard of beauty can be replicated by minorities. And I'm not advocating that standard of beauty at all. I'm saying that the OP must be the type that believes the American standard of beauty should be followed by all people. If it's not, and they're black, they must be ghetto per se.

And someone not being able to afford a nice car. Really? Those old cop cars that they drive to the mall may be all they can afford. Or, I have plenty of friends who are well off but drive crappy cars because they're not materialistic like the LA standard. Maybe they'd rather dress nicely and buy expensive clothes at the mall instead of spend way too much on a car they couldn't care less about. Even if that's all they can afford, it doesn't mean they're ghetto. By that logic, people that take the bus must be too poor to afford a car. That's a stereotype that LA likes to repeat. However, I take public transit whenever possible because I hate driving and I'm well off. So if I arrived to Fox Hills Mall by bus, would I be considered poor and ghetto because it's assumed I can't afford a car? Or does it not apply to me because I'm white?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top