U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:06 PM

38,870 posts, read 38,126,016 times

Advertisements

I think some people mistake certain dress styles as being ghetto. I see lots of kids that "look ghetto" but in reality it's just how a lot of kids dress these days, black or white. The saggy pants, the "urban" wear etc etc.

IDK, people need to think a bit more about what they say and stand back and look at the big picture. Are there ghetto thug types out there, yeah, but just because they're wearing Fubu sports gear doesn't mean they are thugs.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:07 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,183,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think some people mistake certain dress styles as being ghetto. I see lots of kids that "look ghetto" but in reality it's just how a lot of kids dress these days, black or white. The saggy pants, the "urban" wear etc etc.

IDK, people need to think a bit more about what they say and stand back and look at the big picture. Are there ghetto thug types out there, yeah, but just because they're wearing Fubu sports gear doesn't mean they are thugs.
This is the only thing I find appalling about this response.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 13,360,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

That style transcends economic barriers also. It's not a style that only poor black people wear.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:21 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,665,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
haha that example is a little bit dated

Old 04-20-2016, 02:21 PM

24,379 posts, read 13,889,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You know what I mean. Come on. There is a typical American standard of beauty that always involves a thin white woman wearing a specific style of clothing. Idk anything about fashion, so I can't explain it though lol. But we all know that the US has a very specific standard of beauty. It's very rare that that standard of beauty can be replicated by minorities. And I'm not advocating that standard of beauty at all. I'm saying that the OP must be the type that believes the American standard of beauty should be followed by all people. If it's not, and they're black, they must be ghetto per se.

And someone not being able to afford a nice car. Really? Those old cop cars that they drive to the mall may be all they can afford. Or, I have plenty of friends who are well off but drive crappy cars because they're not materialistic like the LA standard. Maybe they'd rather dress nicely and buy expensive clothes at the mall instead of spend way too much on a car they couldn't care less about. Even if that's all they can afford, it doesn't mean they're ghetto. By that logic, people that take the bus must be too poor to afford a car. That's a stereotype that LA likes to repeat. However, I take public transit whenever possible because I hate driving and I'm well off. So if I arrived to Fox Hills Mall by bus, would I be considered poor and ghetto because it's assumed I can't afford a car? Or does it not apply to me because I'm white?
I don't know. Even among 'white people' there is going to be a variety of ways to dress.
White people in different parts of the country definitely dress differently. Might be common to see guys in Arkansas wear hunting gear (camo,etc) while no white person in L.A would ever wear that.

Fashion is really local, people in NYC dress different than L.A too.

I agree with your second paragraph. People shouldn't be judged on the car they drive either.
Sam Walton was one of the richest men in America and he drove an old pickup. Warren Buffett is well known for driving simple basic cars too...and living in a normal modest house as well.

Again the public transit thing is local just like fashion. In NYC people aren't going to have the same stigma, Wall Street guys take the subway just like the homeless guy.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:27 PM

24,379 posts, read 13,889,529 times
Quote:
That style transcends economic barriers also. It's not a style that only poor black people wear.
I noticed that skinny jeans had been popular for a while..but not it seems the trend of sagging is back...also those sweat pants type pants that are designed to look baggy..Justin Bieber and others wear them.

Also the UGH trend of guys showing off their boxers...I'm guessing tired of this.
Who wants to purposefully show off their damn underwear in public?
I have no idea how people think this is cool...and a lot of times it's not teens doing this ..but older people that should know better..

Old 04-20-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post

What is offensive about what I posted??

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
haha that example is a little bit dated

Yes, it is, I'm an old white dude that doesn't pay attention to the hip hop culture that much. I chose that brand because when it came out it was pretty much exclusively worn by black people, now everyone does.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Did you not see where I said white and black kids dress that way???? I spelled it out completely, not sure why you feel the need to tell me what I already said.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 13,360,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I noticed that skinny jeans had been popular for a while..but not it seems the trend of sagging is back...also those sweat pants type pants that are designed to look baggy..Justin Bieber and others wear them.

Also the UGH trend of guys showing off their boxers...I'm guessing tired of this.
Who wants to purposefully show off their damn underwear in public?
I have no idea how people think this is cool...and a lot of times it's not teens doing this ..but older people that should know better..
I agree. But it's something that applies to all races, incomes, geographic locations, and even gender since I've seen quite a few lesbians that dress like that as well. It's not just a poor black look that applies to Fox Hills Mall and makes it ghetto.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:38 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,183,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FChowhound View Post
What is offensive about what I posted??

Yes, it is, I'm an old white dude that doesn't pay attention to the hip hop culture that much. I chose that brand because when it came out it was pretty much exclusively worn by black people, now everyone does.
lol i was joking. I just haven't seen Fubu in like at least 15 years lol. Maybe I'll bring it back. That and phat farm. It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or