U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2016, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Reputation: 11358

Advertisements

Problem is that even Boyle Heights property isn't that cheap
Also they wouldn't allow them in the neighborhood unless they were Latino homeless
You know because THEY have the right to say who lives or even visits THEIR neighorhood..

I've seen this too often , young people nostalgic about a protest era they weren't alive to see... So they fabricate "issues" to " protest" like artisanal bakeries and public opera performances in parks...
Yes because those issues are right up there with the Vietnam war, civil rights movement , etc !
It's such a joke
They are modern day MLK Jr shutting down public opera in their communities
The art form of the oppressors!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2016, 01:33 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah and really...when you hear about stuff like this...doesn't it just make you hope and dream that Boyle Heights gets gentrified as soon as possible.

If I had big money, I'd love to buy up property in the area and fill it up with artisanal bakeries, cafes, craft beer gastropubs, vintage stores, playhouses, live music venues. I wouldn't kick out any existing businesses, but just add new ones. It would be great to see the look on the faces of these protesters.
I bet they are huge hypocrites too and would actually go to these businesses and act like they are only eating at taco stands.

The ironic part about this is that a lot of these businesses and the property that house them are actually opened by latinos.
I read an article about how this bar that has been there for 50 years closed up...well I wouldn't be surprised if the landlord realized they can get a lot more rent for the place and maybe their lease came up or something.

These protesters are delusional though...they don't believe in capitalism at all and are admitted communists.

Regarding NYC no doubt immigrants of all types bring up rents. Just like people moving there from the Midwest,etc bring up rents.

In L.A rents would drop a lot overnight if even all the illegal immigrants moved out.
In Los Angeles an estimated 1 in 10 residents is here illegally
It's a huge huge number of people.
And no I don't think it's realistic to 'deport em all'.

No doubt there is a good percentage in Boyle Heights, East L.A and other neighborhoods with a high number of immigrants. The majority of illegal immigrants as mentioned in the article below are for Mexico..but not all of them. You also have about 8% illegal immigrants for Asia as well..according to the article.
In Los Angeles, 1 in 10 residents is an illegal immigrant, study says - CSMonitor.com

Most likely these young protesters were born in the U.S, but their parents may have been immigrants.
They likely are college educated too, and studied social work or Chicano studies or something along that lines and were brainwashed...I mean taught by some activist type of Professors.
I know one of these Boyle Heights activists was mentioned as being a psychiatric social worker..
Sure their brainwashing hasn't caused them to kill people like ISIS ....Yet...but I think they are a dangerous group for sure.
Anytime a group is very one sided and irrational like this they can't be trusted.

I saw that on their facebook someone commented that they were going to stop gentrification by ANY means necessary..and then put a little gun and bomb icon thing..
To me that's not funny and should be viewed as a threat.

I doubt LAPD or the city or other government organizations is really keeping a file on them like they should.
We know radicalized groups like this can be dangerous from looking at history.
Yep, I was thinking they might be college educated, which is likely where their platform stems from.

Yes, immigrants in general might be bringing up rent, since they're willing to pay the inflated rents the landlords charge (as the rent is split between several people). Also, it seems like Mexicans themselves are actually changing the face of some traditionally lower income NYC neighborhoods (Mexicans are relatively new to NYC). It's almost like these "activists" are selling their own people short!

You're right that the threats are not funny, but to be honest I doubt they would actually do that. They're just trying to sound tough.

This whole gentrification thing is blown out of proportion though, even in the super gentrified NYC neighborhoods, you still see many black and brown people walking around. And large swaths of the city you can walk around and see almost no white people. And lots of neighborhoods are diverse with all types of people happily coexisting. Rents have been rising, but that's true of most major, coastal cities in the US. And if the rents are also going up in neighborhoods where very few white people live, that's because the nonwhite people who live there are willingly paying those rents themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 01:40 PM
 
3,865 posts, read 2,500,154 times
Reputation: 2495
It's more about the local shops and restaurants that were family owned being replaced by Starbucks and some lame vegan spot.

Sure, move into my hood but don't destroy that spot that was run by old man Dacho, and PLEASE dont erase our murals. Respect where you live. Don't try to sterilize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 01:45 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It's more about the local shops and restaurants that were family owned being replaced by Starbucks and some lame vegan spot.

Sure, move into my hood but don't destroy that spot that was run by old man Dacho, and PLEASE dont erase our murals. Respect where you live. Don't try to sterilize it.
That I can agree with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Reputation: 11358
But that's not what this group is about .. They don't even want white people VISITING " their" hood ... Let alone live there . They are discriminating against people simply on the color of their skin .
And if Starbucks or a vegan place wants to open .. Why not ?
Are we going to pretend Mexicans don't drink Starbucks or eat vegan ?
I wouldn't be surprised if some of these protestors are vegan themselves .

And who mentioned erasing murals in BH?

See this is the problem , they see a white person and all of a sudden " there goes the neigborhood" it's ridiculous and really racist too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
4,514 posts, read 1,940,056 times
Reputation: 6745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It's more about the local shops and restaurants that were family owned being replaced by Starbucks and some lame vegan spot.

Sure, move into my hood but don't destroy that spot that was run by old man Dacho, and PLEASE dont erase our murals. Respect where you live. Don't try to sterilize it.
A Starbucks or a "lame vegan spot" wouldn't open unless they did some research first and determined that there was some demand for it. A small business especially would not put their life on the line like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 05:25 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
But that's not what this group is about .. They don't even want white people VISITING " their" hood ... Let alone live there . They are discriminating against people simply on the color of their skin .
And if Starbucks or a vegan place wants to open .. Why not ?
Are we going to pretend Mexicans don't drink Starbucks or eat vegan ?
I wouldn't be surprised if some of these protestors are vegan themselves .

And who mentioned erasing murals in BH?

See this is the problem , they see a white person and all of a sudden " there goes the neigborhood" it's ridiculous and really racist too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
A Starbucks or a "lame vegan spot" wouldn't open unless they did some research first and determined that there was some demand for it. A small business especially would not put their life on the line like that.
There are Starbucks in predominately black, not gentrified areas of NYC

So yeah, it's not only white people who like that stuff.

I wouldn't want a Starbucks to replace a mom and pop shop either, but the crappy fast food options which exist in every hood are also taking up space that could be used by a locally owned business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,147 posts, read 13,668,407 times
Reputation: 11358
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
There are Starbucks in predominately black, not gentrified areas of NYC

So yeah, it's not only white people who like that stuff.

I wouldn't want a Starbucks to replace a mom and pop shop either, but the crappy fast food options which exist in every hood are also taking up space that could be used by a locally owned business
Yeah that's why it's silly when they say only white people go to Starbucks .
Magic Johnson , who is the only person that's been allowed to own a Starbucks has opened them in areas with a lot of black residents .
Also there are Starbucks in Latino marjority areas like Panorama city too .

Lots of ignorance and narrow mindedness thinking only certain races like certain things .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Reputation: 7246
Serve The People L.A. reminds me of the KKK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that's why it's silly when they say only white people go to Starbucks .
Magic Johnson , who is the only person that's been allowed to own a Starbucks has opened them in areas with a lot of black residents .
Also there are Starbucks in Latino marjority areas like Panorama city too .

Lots of ignorance and narrow mindedness thinking only certain races like certain things .
Magic sold his Starbucks back to the company when they decided to stop franchising. He wasn't the only person to own Starbucks franchises, but there were not very many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top