U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-20-2016, 09:57 AM
 
26 posts, read 21,532 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

This has gone TOO far. Boyle Heights residents have no right to play god on who can enter the neighborhood and not. I guess they don't want tourist dollars flowing into their businesses.

Articles like this make an area with so much potential look like land of the lawless anarchy. If developers want to build there and yuppies want to move in then let them! The neighborhood was once Jewish, Italian, and German so change is bound to happen eventually weigher they like it or not. Also near by CSULA is alot more diverse.

Curbed LA source: Boyle Heights is Battling Fiercely Against Gentrification - Curbed LA

(Yes i'm "I Love Buildings", i guess my old account got unbanned?)
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:00 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,166,080 times
Reputation: 1562
toxic thread incoming
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,151 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11364
I've said for a while that Boyle Heights was going to be the next area for gentrification.
Lot's of ignorance.

"Activist Xochitl Palomera was more blunt: "Gentrification is a violent threat," she says.
"When we feel it we may react in an angry way, through fear.""

What do they fear?
Personally I'd be more afraid of gangbangers versus some moustached guy drinking a cold brew coffee.

Gentrification is a violent thread? Really? That's absurd.

If Ms. Palomera wants to live somewhere without gentrification and a non capitalist economy maybe North Korea might be a good option for her?


Here is another article regarding Boyle Heights anti gentrification..
Boyle Heights residents force a fresh start on Mariachi Plaza project - LA Times

""We've already lost Echo Park, Silver Lake, downtown and now we're being squeezed out by prices," said Adriana Alvarez, a psychiatric social worker who grew up in the neighborhood. "We want our paleteros [ice cream vendors] and our taco stands. We don't need glitter and glamour. That's what this looks like — arrogance and colonization.""

"The people who were most vocal were those who believe that outsiders who don't understand the joy of rancheras streaming from cars or the aroma of menudo on a Sunday morning will destroy their neighborhood's way of life."

If they are worried...I have some good suggestions of places they can move. It sounds like they want to live in Mexico?

Also glitter and glamour in Echo Park, Silver Lake, DTLA? ....All areas are pretty rough around the edges and gritty.

I find it scary to think that the one 'activist' is a psychiatric social worker...sounds more like she needs a psychiatrist..

Yes...the white people are coming...and they are coming to take your menudo and ban ranchera music..what a joke!
Are these people serious?

I think a safe place for these people to move might be Pacoima, probably not likely to get gentrified anytime soon versus Boyle Heights..

They live in a high crime area that has a pretty active number of gang homeboys..and this is their main concern?
Looks like their have their priorities mixed up..

I wish the Mayor and City Council would stop trying to appease these ignorant folks.
If someone can find me the stats of all the people that have died due to gentrification , I'd love to see them.
On the other hand there are tons of stats on the violence that gang members create in these areas.
Gentrification has been proven to lower violent crime (including murder) in cities across America.
I'd argue that gentrification saves lives.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:27 AM
 
234 posts, read 134,767 times
Reputation: 124
Lol. I can just imagine if a bunch of people with KKK garb went around scaring off Mexicans coming into their neighborhoods in Brentwood. The outcry would be heard nationwide.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:28 AM
 
Location: La La Land
1,514 posts, read 1,894,333 times
Reputation: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
toxic thread incoming
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:33 AM
 
Location: La La Land
1,514 posts, read 1,894,333 times
Reputation: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
Lol. I can just imagine if a bunch of people with KKK garb went around scaring off Mexicans coming into their neighborhoods in Brentwood. The outcry would be heard nationwide.
Except your situation is political and racial.

This situation is economic. A more reasonable example would be comparing the reaction of Holmby Hills residents to the introduction of Section 8 housing in their neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,151 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11364
I still don't get why they can't have menudo and a gourmet coffee place or whatever.
Why can't people play Ranchera music and Indie Pop or whatever.

Also newsflash... White people love taco stands too...and big shocker..some even eat Menudo...

Sounds like the Boyle Heights 'activists' are anti diversity. Right now Boyle Heights with 94% hispanic population is not demographically diverse.

If the owners of Canter's Deli wanted to open another location in Boyle Heights (where their original location was before Fairfax) I wonder if these activists would be opposed to them coming back to the neighborhood..I'm guessing yes..

The argument that they "lost Echo Park" is absurd. Echo Park still has a hispanic majority and a ton of businesses that serve hispanics and others.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Playa Del Rey
180 posts, read 142,824 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I still don't get why they can't have menudo and a gourmet coffee place or whatever.
Why can't people play Ranchera music and Indie Pop or whatever.

Also newsflash... White people love taco stands too...and big shocker..some even eat Menudo...

Sounds like the Boyle Heights 'activists' are anti diversity. Right now Boyle Heights with 94% hispanic population is not demographically diverse.

If the owners of Canter's Deli wanted to open another location in Boyle Heights (where their original location was before Fairfax) I wonder if these activists would be opposed to them coming back to the neighborhood..I'm guessing yes..

The argument that they "lost Echo Park" is absurd. Echo Park still has a hispanic majority and a ton of businesses that serve hispanics and others.
They fear that opening up the neighborhood will lead to an influx of new buyers/flippers which will lead to the current population being priced out. It's going to happen eventually.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Whittier
3,007 posts, read 4,870,355 times
Reputation: 3025
Gentrification is a very touchy subject in part because it ultimately isn't black and white.

There are shady tactics used by developers to kick out tenants, yet those tenants may be undesirable.

People live in neighborhoods all of their life then get displaced to an unfamiliar area. New people move in by choice, others have to leave because they have no choice.

From the shady deal that Latinos got from Chavez Ravine, gentrification symbolizes a sort of capitalistic eminent domain.

Does that mean that a prosperous safer neighborhood is bad? Obviously no, but people should be mindful of all sides, not just their own.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,551,757 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I've said for a while that Boyle Heights was going to be the next area for gentrification.
Lot's of ignorance.

"Activist Xochitl Palomera was more blunt: "Gentrification is a violent threat," she says.
"When we feel it we may react in an angry way, through fear.""

What do they fear?
Personally I'd be more afraid of gangbangers versus some moustached guy drinking a cold brew coffee.

Gentrification is a violent thread? Really? That's absurd.

If Ms. Palomera wants to live somewhere without gentrification and a non capitalist economy maybe North Korea might be a good option for her?


Here is another article regarding Boyle Heights anti gentrification..
Boyle Heights residents force a fresh start on Mariachi Plaza project - LA Times

""We've already lost Echo Park, Silver Lake, downtown and now we're being squeezed out by prices," said Adriana Alvarez, a psychiatric social worker who grew up in the neighborhood. "We want our paleteros [ice cream vendors] and our taco stands. We don't need glitter and glamour. That's what this looks like arrogance and colonization.""

"The people who were most vocal were those who believe that outsiders who don't understand the joy of rancheras streaming from cars or the aroma of menudo on a Sunday morning will destroy their neighborhood's way of life."

If they are worried...I have some good suggestions of places they can move. It sounds like they want to live in Mexico?

Also glitter and glamour in Echo Park, Silver Lake, DTLA? ....All areas are pretty rough around the edges and gritty.

I find it scary to think that the one 'activist' is a psychiatric social worker...sounds more like she needs a psychiatrist..

Yes...the white people are coming...and they are coming to take your menudo and ban ranchera music..what a joke!
Are these people serious?

I think a safe place for these people to move might be Pacoima, probably not likely to get gentrified anytime soon versus Boyle Heights..

They live in a high crime area that has a pretty active number of gang homeboys..and this is their main concern?
Looks like their have their priorities mixed up..

I wish the Mayor and City Council would stop trying to appease these ignorant folks.
If someone can find me the stats of all the people that have died due to gentrification , I'd love to see them.
On the other hand there are tons of stats on the violence that gang members create in these areas.
Gentrification has been proven to lower violent crime (including murder) in cities across America.
I'd argue that gentrification saves lives.
Those types of "activists" just sound arrogant to me. It's hard to explain the point I'm trying to get across, but people like them make themselves out to be victims over silly things. Like you said, the Mexican culture isn't going to leave the neighborhood just because it comes a little more gentrified. But to be fair, I think most of the residents are more reasonable than the activists from that article

Isn't East LA mostly or largely occupied by homeowners anyway?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top