U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2016, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,189 posts, read 13,695,061 times
Reputation: 11379

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
I would hate to live near these housing units. Haven for crime. There goes the neighborhood.
Eight city properties would be developed into affordable housing or sold to raise money for housing under Garcetti’s plan. The property list includes an unused fire station in Westchester and a hillside parcel near Hansen Dam. Half of the sites are located on the city’s Westside and one is in the San Fernando Valley.

Knowing the Westside...I really doubt the homeowners in the area will allow this. I just hope they don't sell the Westside properties and then put ALL the developments in the valley...and they wouldn't open them in Studio City or Encino or Sherman Oaks of course..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2016, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,189 posts, read 13,695,061 times
Reputation: 11379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
This is an absurd figure.
Yes it is high since existing apartment buildings can be bought in L.A for much less than $400,000 per unit.
One example here
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angele...9/home/6903022
Comes out to average of $181,000 per unit.


It sounds like this is going to be a great pay day for "Affordable housing developers"...
With cozy connections to the Mayor.
They even want the land for FREE! Yeah ...who wouldn't??
Of course they are going to over inflate their estimates of what it will cost because they know the politicians don't care since it's not their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 AM
 
1,308 posts, read 3,598,961 times
Reputation: 1097
Garrett is a moron, fool, jackazz, imbecile,....Take your pick.
I build buildings for a living. For $400,000 per unit I can build a beautiful 2000sq ft condo with great appliances.
Any builder worth a darn could build a building of 400sq ft apartments complete with appliances for less than $40,000 per unit, and that includes the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 08:31 AM
 
416 posts, read 162,767 times
Reputation: 1176
Why on earth does Los Angeles *need* to keep its homeless? What do they contribute? Why do they need to be here? Do they have a right to be here if they cannot afford to live here? We have no problem saying adieu to someone who came here with dreams of being an actor and then found they cannot afford to stay, why spend money on this subset of people who need to be living in an area with a cheaper cost of living?

I swear, it's like San Francisco treating their homeless like some sort of quota/living, smelly city ornaments that no one wants to display but is forced to. Who benefits? Is the appearance of compassion at the expense of a proper way of life that important?

Why should the tax dollars of people struggling to live in Los Angeles be used to people who aren't paying taxes, let alone contributing to society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,189 posts, read 13,695,061 times
Reputation: 11379
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Garrett is a moron, fool, jackazz, imbecile,....Take your pick.
I build buildings for a living. For $400,000 per unit I can build a beautiful 2000sq ft condo with great appliances.
Any builder worth a darn could build a building of 400sq ft apartments complete with appliances for less than $40,000 per unit, and that includes the land.
No doubt Eric's 'affordable housing' developer friends are going to pad the bill ..Eric isn't going to pay though..the tax payers will.
Maybe Eric does want the homeless in 2000sq ft beautiful condos with great appliances though..who really knows.

Which market do you build in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,189 posts, read 13,695,061 times
Reputation: 11379
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
Why on earth does Los Angeles *need* to keep its homeless? What do they contribute? Why do they need to be here? Do they have a right to be here if they cannot afford to live here? We have no problem saying adieu to someone who came here with dreams of being an actor and then found they cannot afford to stay, why spend money on this subset of people who need to be living in an area with a cheaper cost of living?

I swear, it's like San Francisco treating their homeless like some sort of quota/living, smelly city ornaments that no one wants to display but is forced to. Who benefits? Is the appearance of compassion at the expense of a proper way of life that important?

Why should the tax dollars of people struggling to live in Los Angeles be used to people who aren't paying taxes, let alone contributing to society?
I agree with this too.
I guess it would be one thing if L.A was a market that most people could afford and then they wanted to do something for the homeless...but L.A of course is most not definitely a market like that.
Lot's of native born people with college degrees and "good jobs" still have to move out of L.A , but there is no program for them.
That's why I don't feel that building brand new housing for homeless that might have just gotten off the bus from somewhere else is really a great idea.
Also won't this just make L.A a magnet for 'homeless' or people acting homeless to come to L.A to get free housing?

I mean what exactly are the -qualifications going to be for this housing?
I just hear that the mayor is planning to spend $100,000,000 every single year on "homeless issues"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 08:50 AM
 
1,308 posts, read 3,598,961 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No doubt Eric's 'affordable housing' developer friends are going to pad the bill ..Eric isn't going to pay though..the tax payers will.
Maybe Eric does want the homeless in 2000sq ft beautiful condos with great appliances though..who really knows.

Which market do you build in?
I build in L.A., county and around it. Mostly in the IE though. Also do some in Wyoming.
Talking about COL, I can build 400 sq ft apartments in Cheyenne for about $15,000 per unit including land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Sylmar, a part of Los Angeles
3,441 posts, read 2,141,638 times
Reputation: 6949
So these filthy bums live in a brand new $400,000 place which they'l promptly destroy while many of us who are paying for this live in a old small $350,000 house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 09:13 AM
 
1,856 posts, read 2,040,886 times
Reputation: 3940
Garbagecetti with another moronic and impractical plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,189 posts, read 13,695,061 times
Reputation: 11379
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I build in L.A., county and around it. Mostly in the IE though. Also do some in Wyoming.
Talking about COL, I can build 400 sq ft apartments in Cheyenne for about $15,000 per unit including land.
Thanks, interesting. Seems that it's probably better building in the I.E..I'm guessing a lot less red tape and hassles versus the city of L.A
It seems people probably have to have political connections to get things build in L.A
That's amazing about being able to build for $15k unit in Cheyenne. What would apartments like that rent for over there?
Maybe Garcetti could relocate the homeless there and we would save a fortune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top