U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 03:04 PM

4,523 posts, read 1,944,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
It would actually attract more homeless to the area.
The solution to the homeless problem would require someone with an intellect greater than that of a politician.
If they're going to do this they should establish a waiting list while it's being built. Current LA homeless get priority.

Has the mayor's office released a break down of how they arrived at $400,000 per unit? Perhaps he's telling us the high end of the estimate so if it comes in under budget he can brag. And have somebody leftover to play around with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 03:12 PM

24,177 posts, read 13,695,061 times
In related news
The city is returning those tiny homes to the homeless.

L.A. agrees to return tiny houses seized from homeless people - LA Times

My question..When are the homeless going to return the stolen shopping carts to the businesses they stole them from?..
Also who will clean those shopping carts?

I don't know..I'm starting to think posing as homeless might be the way to go in this city today.

Also I found this bizarre...
"The homeless people who lost their tiny houses are living in the streets in tents, even though the city rushed to get some of them rent vouchers, he said.

"No one is accepting them," he said of the vouchers. "Everyone is still on the streets.""

If the homeless were offered free rent in apartments...why would they not accept them??
If the Mayor builds $400,000 housing for the homeless will they refuse to live in those too?.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:59 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,330,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I get it they are talking about brand new housing..and I know West LA prices are high I grew up there so I know.
But my point is why can't the homeless live in units like that? Why do they have to live in Brand new housing ?
Older housing seems to work out well for non homeless in L.A..It's not good enough for the homeless though?

I'm not jumping to conclusions. The mayor said he wants to house the homeless and I did the math and at 400k unit it's going to cost $5billion to do so.
How did I jump to conclusions and not consider the facts?
Ok, are you donating the old buildings the city will rehab to house the homeless? If you didn't notice the city's rental market is tight with very low vacancy rates. This isn't Detroit with numerous vacant and cheap buildings laying around. The mayor can't seize privately owned buildings and vacate tenants to make room for the homeless.

Where you grew up is not relevant. Market value for brand new multifamily on the westside is way above the "comp" you provided.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:08 PM

24,177 posts, read 13,695,061 times
That's a good reason not to house the homeless right in the city of L.A right , if the housing market is expensive and tight?
Also I know housing is more expensive on the westside , why do the homeless have to live on the westside?

Old 04-22-2016, 05:42 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,330,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
That's a good reason not to house the homeless right in the city of L.A right , if the housing market is expensive and tight?
Also I know housing is more expensive on the westside , why do the homeless have to live on the westside?

Good luck with the plan to deport/ship the homeless to Palmdale or Arkansas, etc.. Has about much of a chance as happening as Trump's wall.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 460 times
Measures should be in place to prevent people who are at risk in becoming homeless, but I do find it interesting in how this ongoing problem has just recently been acknowledged by the masses with more problematical solutions.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:46 AM

23,260 posts, read 16,070,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
This is an ill-conceived idea that is nothing more than a short-term bandage for the problem.

Building housing for the homeless doesn't solve any problems. Most homeless people have mental issues and/or have drug issues. This is the root of the problem that needs to be addressed. Putting a homeless person in a unit is not a fix. They'll just be back out on the street. Now if there was a housing type center with medical staff to treat mental illness and drug rehab, then maybe this would be a better idea.

If the VA actually had proper funding in the first place to treat a lot of vets before they turn to homelessness, then perhaps this wouldn't be such a problem.
The VA has plenty of resources to help vets. You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make them drink. Also most homeless are not VAs.

Vets (assuming they were honorably discharged) get their college educations paid for, subsidized mortgages,free medical, if they were disabled they'll get monthly cash benefits, priority in section 8, etc.

With that said housing that's built for homeless people is usually supervised for the reasons you mentioned above. To have visitors come by they have to sign in with ID. They have social workers and other staff on site to deal with these problems.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_dude View Post
Measures should be in place to prevent people who are at risk in becoming homeless, but I do find it interesting in how this ongoing problem has just recently been acknowledged by the masses with more problematical solutions.
What measures do you recommend to put in place to help people who are at risk of being homeless?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
If they're going to do this they should establish a waiting list while it's being built. Current LA homeless get priority.

Has the mayor's office released a break down of how they arrived at $400,000 per unit? Perhaps he's telling us the high end of the estimate so if it comes in under budget he can brag. And have somebody leftover to play around with.
Agreed. They need a residency requirement for the housing for the homeless.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:49 PM

1,936 posts, read 820,979 times
In all honestly what sense is it to give a free apt or condo to a crackhead or methhead, unless they have taken the necessary measures to commit to a life without drugs.

Otherwise, do not say it too loud to taxpayers that their dollars are going to house drug fiends, adding to more problems down the road.

Get these drug addicts to complete an intensive and lengthy drug rehab program before they can be considered for an apt or condo in LA. From there, strict oversight to ensure the "right" people are being selected, then continual supervision to maintain those standards..

Without such a policy, far too much can go wrong and will go wrong given it is LA. At $400,000 per apt or condo, I want to see where my tax money is going and who is getting it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or