U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2016, 12:32 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,394 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I live in Sun Valley in Los Angeles. I want to get a RV/ Tiny House Trailer to have someone live in in my yard. Is this legal? How tall can I make the fence around my home as well? Thanks! Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 13 hours ago)
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,105 posts, read 6,773,176 times
Reputation: 7037
Favela, here we come Sun Valley!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 12:52 PM
 
1,856 posts, read 2,038,779 times
Reputation: 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Favela, here we come Sun Valley!
It's ok though, Sun Valley is within LA City limits, so OP's slum has the backing of Garbagecetti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 12:56 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
Reputation: 11848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckbacca View Post
I live in Sun Valley in Los Angeles. I want to get a RV/ Tiny House Trailer to have someone live in in my yard. Is this legal? How tall can I make the fence around my home as well? Thanks! Will
You mean backyard, not side yard or driveway? Because if it's not the backyard, you will be nailed.
Fences usually can't be over 6 feet. Try camouflage netting

And good luck if your tenant turns out to be a jerk. All they have to do is stop paying the rent. What are you going to do about it? They can report you. And sue you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 01:04 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
Reputation: 3323
I had a city inspector tell me that as long as the fence/wall isn't concrete blocks, they don't really care how tall it is. FYI, i just upped a side wood fence to about 8' and my neighbor reported me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 01:36 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
Reputation: 11848
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Fences usually can't be over 6 feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I had a city inspector tell me that as long as the fence/wall isn't concrete blocks, they don't really care how tall it is. FYI, i just upped a side wood fence to about 8' and my neighbor reported me.
We're both right, 6 feet or 8 feet, depends on lot size:

How high can your fence be? | Fence Height | The Practical Architect Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 03:42 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,394 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the reply. This tiny house would be for my 18 year old daughter. Would be cheaper for me to do this and give her some privacy than getting her own place. And I would love to keep her close while I can.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You mean backyard, not side yard or driveway? Because if it's not the backyard, you will be nailed.
Fences usually can't be over 6 feet. Try camouflage netting

And good luck if your tenant turns out to be a jerk. All they have to do is stop paying the rent. What are you going to do about it? They can report you. And sue you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 03:44 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,394 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for Reply. My neighbors on all 3 sides are more than happy with an 8 foot high fence since I am paying for it all myself. And my lot is hidden behind another lot, so I am not at all visible from the street.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I had a city inspector tell me that as long as the fence/wall isn't concrete blocks, they don't really care how tall it is. FYI, i just upped a side wood fence to about 8' and my neighbor reported me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 03:46 PM
 
4 posts, read 2,394 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the reply. I am going to check those out. My lot is almost 35000 square feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
We're both right, 6 feet or 8 feet, depends on lot size:

How high can your fence be? | Fence Height | The Practical Architect Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 04:04 PM
 
1,714 posts, read 2,977,616 times
Reputation: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I had a city inspector tell me that as long as the fence/wall isn't concrete blocks, they don't really care how tall it is. FYI, i just upped a side wood fence to about 8' and my neighbor reported me.
^Most cities don't have code enforcement officers driving around measuring fences. Getting reported by a neighbor is really the only way to get busted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top