U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:42 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times

Advertisements

I would think you can find a decent place by Ontario on that budget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,246,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
I will have a roommate comming with me that would find a job and I have a little over 20k in savings zero debt and decent credit
Good for you. It seems many transplants land with nothing more than a security deposit thinking it will work out. Then a couple months pass and they're crawling home.

I'm with jm1982. As long as you're okay with not having an upgraded unit, and uncovered parking, $1200/mo is doable in Burbank. Ontario is definitely doable but if you're in your 20's (not sure why I think you are), Ontario will be dull.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:07 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,763,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Good for you. It seems many transplants land with nothing more than a security deposit thinking it will work out. Then a couple months pass and they're crawling home.

I'm with jm1982. As long as you're okay with not having an upgraded unit, and uncovered parking, $1200/mo is doable in Burbank. Ontario is definitely doable but if you're in your 20's (not sure why I think you are), Ontario will be dull.
Show me a one bedroom for $1200 in Burbank. Maybe Sunland, Sun Valley, Tujunga but that may or may not fit OP definition of safe. If they are coming from Detroit or Baltimore it's probably great. If they are coming from someplace without gangs and tweakers it may be off putting

Old 04-22-2016, 09:10 AM

24,151 posts, read 13,668,407 times
If you want cheaper but very close to burbank airport there is also North Hollywood and Sun Valley. I live in the area so I know what I'm talking about , in a home though. Living in an apartment building here is a lot different though. I feel like the premium you would pay for living in apartment building in Burbank would be worth it. Things are just generally much better kept up in Burbank. Better police, lower crime,etc.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,246,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Show me a one bedroom for $1200 in Burbank.
www.padmapper.com
Looks to be a handful of options within 10min drive of Bob Hope.
Like I said, nothing fancy, but available.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:42 AM

4,736 posts, read 5,936,715 times
OP, I would not recommend the move, but if you decide to go ahead with it anyway, make sure you have a Plan B and C.

Think about it, what happens if a roommate bails out and leaves you holding the bag? Suppose your overtime opportunities decrease, or even completely evaporate? What would you do if rent greatly increased over the years?.........etc.

Also, working 40 plus hours per week, when do you relax with family and friends?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 AM

24,151 posts, read 13,668,407 times
I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a roommate if the roommate bails.
Definitely think you'd have to budget for no overtime...but I would think at least a job at an airport would be pretty stable steady work?
Burbank I'm pretty sure does not have rent control so a rental increase could be an issue if you do live in Burbank.
L.A apartment buildings built before 1979 are protected by rent control (which I personally think is a bad idea)..so the rent increases are pretty minimal per year..about 3% or so I believe?

Regarding 40+ hours a week a lot of people work those hours. OP probably doesn't have family in the area since they moving from another area. As long as the hours are like normal hours 9-5 or so, other people would be working about those hours anyways right?

Old 04-22-2016, 10:46 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
$1200 a month for half of rent(since you'll have a roommate) is totally doable, and you have a good amount in savings so I would say, why not?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:05 PM

185 posts, read 119,330 times
Thank you for all the advice everyone it is much appreciated .
Far too many people to quote so I will just reply all .

I'm not looking for luxory or new I know better than that but I also wouldn't settle for an absolutely dump in the ghetto just to say I live in la .
Yes I have been to los Angeles before but it was only for two days for work and I didn't get to do anything fun I was without a car I did check out Venice beach and muscle beach and had a nice dinner .
Obviously the weather would be #1 reason for moving there but just in general there is so much to do and see tons of Outdoors , mountains , forests and the beach all things I enjoy .
I think I will check out the Burbank option as its more affordable and puts me still close to la .
I did not have much desire for the inland empire based on my research the farther east you go away from the ocean it's hotter and hotter like Phoenix and Las Vegas and Palm Springs kind of weather .

I will do research and of course a full scouting trip .

Is there ever a time a day you can get around town ? For example if I am in on a scouting trip and want to drive and hit Runyon canyon and then go to the beach for lunch is that doable or would I waste more than half a day in traffic ?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:17 PM

8,271 posts, read 10,506,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Seems like I've heard this before.
Yes, you have, so have I, 270 posts on the same topic. tfriss92, is that you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
can find rent under 1200 a month but also be safe...Is it possible to live on 15 dollars an hour with a chance of overtime in this city ?...I would be working at SFO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
My employment would be the airport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or