Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:40 AM

185 posts, read 174,123 times

Advertisements

Hey guys , I know los Angeles is among the most expensive cities in the country to live in especially rent in.

I was wondering if you could tell me what areas I could look into and research for a one bedroom for 1200 or less . In a safe area . And if I possible it has to be in a relatively short commute to one of my job locations .

I have the option of working at lax , Burbank , Ontario and Santa Ana airports and I would take my offer based on which part I could find affordable safe rental in.

Some added info to possibly help , I will only be making roughly 15 an hour but overtime and extra shifts , I will have a roommate comming with me that would find a job and I have a little over 20k in savings zero debt and decent credit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 06:26 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Seems like I've heard this before.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

Is la not one of the most popular places to move ?

Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Yup. It isn't possible.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:57 AM

Yea it is , I found a few places in going to check out .

Old 04-22-2016, 08:11 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times
You've listed 4 places that are nowhere near each other. 2 are not even in LA County. How can you expect anyone to give you valuable advice with that?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
North Hollywood, Arleta, Pacoima, Sun Valley, Van Nuys are all close to Burbank airport. you'l be living amongst the illegal aliens but your in southern Calif.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
Hey guys , I know los Angeles is among the most expensive cities in the country to live in especially rent in.

I was wondering if you could tell me what areas I could look into and research for a one bedroom for 1200 or less . In a safe area . And if I possible it has to be in a relatively short commute to one of my job locations .

I have the option of working at lax , Burbank , Ontario and Santa Ana airports and I would take my offer based on which part I could find affordable safe rental in.

Some added info to possibly help , I will only be making roughly 15 an hour but overtime and extra shifts , I will have a roommate comming with me that would find a job and I have a little over 20k in savings zero debt and decent credit
I would not suggest moving to SoCal if you only make $15/hour, even if you can do overtime and have roommates. You'll find yourself stressed as you constantly struggle to meet expenses.

Rent alone would gobble up much of your income. You mentioned Santa Ana (OC) as a possibility. Well, OC rents are high and are projected to go up by 9.4 percent by 2018.

O.C. rents forecast to rise 9.4% by 2018 - The Orange County Register

Why not explore less costly areas of the country?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:33 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
It make me wonder if SoCal airports are having trouble hiring/retaining low wage workers in this economy, and are aggressively recruiting in other parts of the country.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:42 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post

I would choose Burbank myself. L.A in general is hard. Burbank is it's own city within L.A county and it borders L.A. It is part of the San Fernando Valley. Ontario or Santa Ana you will be very far from L.A .. Ontario is in the Inland Empire ,it's very different from L.A the communities there are newer more suburban. Santa Ana will be in Orange County, Orange County is nice to live in too in general , but it's not L.A.

I'm thinking if you JUST want a safe area that is affordable Ontario would be your best bet...but then there is more to life than just working. It'll be so far from L.A that you probably won't want to commute to L.A for fun.
Of course there are things to do in Ontario but it's just different.

$15 hr might be a little tight, but it could be feasible with a roommate and being frugal.
Also you mentioned overtime and extra shifts which will help.
The $20,000 will be a good buffer /safety net too..but hopefully you won't need to tap into it.

Maybe look at something like this in Burbank
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...550553261.html

If you work at Burbank Bob Hope Airport and live nearby you could probably get away with not having a car. Or maybe you could use a little savings to buy a used car.

Also just curious, why do you want to move to L.A or SoCal area? There's gotta be more than this job. Have you visited L.A before? Do you know if you'd even like it? Yes weather is pretty nice year round but there has to be something more than that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles