Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 07:10 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
Nah bars aren't my kinda thing. I don't like the type of people it attracts. I prefer to be surrounded by intellectual individuals who are highly cultured and sophisticated-open minded.
You're not from the US, are you, OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 07:22 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Yes this is a serious thread. If you knew my City Data personality, i like to create unique thread conversations that discuss not commen topics. Most of us here are mature but i keep it mature while adding alittle bit of humor and a pinch of satire.
No you don't and in my opinion only no one over the age of 10 has a life goal of being a yuppie or hipster and what in hades name does DTLA or whatever you wrote mean?
Real words people, take the time to type them out, some of us actual mature adults who are not yuppie, hipster nor satirical get tired of looking up what letters mean. Your threads are as unique as all the other threads started.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:21 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
I want to be a DTLA hipster but i don't look casual enough, i'm always in my business suit since i work in one of the office skyscrapers in the financial district. I couldn't help but notice the Grand Central Market on Broadway being a huge hipster magnet.

I'm not even looking for any hook ups, nor bars. Just need tips on how to blend in with the new DTLA scene. Maybe grab some 10$ organic juices and talk about buildings? I see the young lads these days enjoy taking selfies in the allies and doing rooftop profile pictures.
You might have Asperger's.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
there is no such thing as a hip yuppie.
just sayin'.
Hipsters are the new yuppies

Old 04-24-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
If i may add, i also find shopping for my groceries at Whole Foods a highly pleasing experience indeed.
No hipster would admit to shopping at whole foods even if you do , way too mainstream
From now on you only buy your food from farmers market . The Hollywood farmers market is probably the most hip one. If you want to be really hip though , you grow and harvest your own vegetables to create your vegan dishes .
You shall only listen to obscure music . If it's on the radio it's off limits . Unless it's some kind of underground college radio station in Sweden or something .
For clothing style you want to spend a lot of time and money on this .. But you will want it to look like you didn't care . The 90s is really hip now with hipsters . thrift stores , eBay and etsy will help you .
You can buy a car , but it should look like it's been to hell and back . It's important not to wash the car , plus it's eco friendly . It's important that you project the image that for you the car is just a method of getting to point a to point b , a simple utilitarian tool of course you prefer to ride your fixie bike around town .. But sometimes you need to haul stuff around for your art projects or equipment for shows etc and the car can come in handy.

Hope this helps you

Old 04-24-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No hipster would admit to shopping at whole foods even if you do , way too mainstream
From now on you only buy your food from farmers market . The Hollywood farmers market is probably the most hip one. If you want to be really hip though , you grow and harvest your own vegetables to create your vegan dishes .
You shall only listen to obscure music . If it's on the radio it's off limits . Unless it's some kind of underground college radio station in Sweden or something .
For clothing style you want to spend a lot of time and money on this .. But you will want it to look like you didn't care . The 90s is really hip now with hipsters . thrift stores , eBay and etsy will help you .
You can buy a car , but it should look like it's been to hell and back . It's important not to wash the car , plus it's eco friendly . It's important that you project the image that for you the car is just a method of getting to point a to point b , a simple utilitarian tool of course you prefer to ride your fixie bike around town .. But sometimes you need to haul stuff around for your art projects or equipment for shows etc and the car can come in handy.

Hope this helps you
Does that mean chubby checker and Elvis are too mainstream?

Old 04-24-2016, 09:08 AM

387 posts, read 511,966 times
Very helpful responces you guys! (: and no i dont have asperger's haha. My threads are always exaggerated abit.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Does that mean chubby checker and Elvis are too mainstream?
They are too mainstream now. Everyone knows Elvis especially right now..but actually there are some younger kids that aren't familiar with Elvis and stuff it seems.
Yeah it's hard to believe.
But maybe when all the hardcore Elvis fans pass away in 2 or 3 decades Elvis might be less known possibly.
At that point , future hipsters will 'discover' Elvis.
Things have to fall out of the mainstream before they become hip.
Like acid was jeans were popular , then they were lame , then they became hip again for a little bit more recently.

A good insight into hipster fashion is to see what the people attending Coachella are wearing.

Although it seems Coachella could be possibly mainstream or getting towards being mainstream.

You can even live stream it now.
One of these Coachella live streams is not like the other - LA Times

Old 04-24-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
They are too mainstream now. Everyone knows Elvis especially right now..but actually there are some younger kids that aren't familiar with Elvis and stuff it seems.
Yeah it's hard to believe.
But maybe when all the hardcore Elvis fans pass away in 2 or 3 decades Elvis might be less known possibly.
At that point , future hipsters will 'discover' Elvis.
Things have to fall out of the mainstream before they become hip.
Like acid was jeans were popular , then they were lame , then they became hip again for a little bit more recently.

A good insight into hipster fashion is to see what the people attending Coachella are wearing.

Although it seems Coachella could be possibly mainstream or getting towards being mainstream.

You can even live stream it now.
One of these Coachella live streams is not like the other - LA Times
Are Hawaiian shirts, gold watches, dress pants, and rings safe from hipsters? I hope my "wealthy retiree chic" doesn't get taken over by those kids

Old 04-24-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Are Hawaiian shirts, gold watches, dress pants, and rings safe from hipsters? I hope my "wealthy retiree chic" doesn't get taken over by those kids
I'm afraid not ..

"I wear your granddad's clothes
I look incredible
I'm in this big ass coat
From that thrift shop down the road
I wear your granddad's clothes (damn right)
I look incredible (now come on man)
I'm in this big ass coat (big ass coat)
From that thrift shop down the road (let's go)"

MACKLEMORE LYRICS - Thrift Shop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles