Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 33,499 times

Advertisements

We moved here from near Philly suburbs and are used to low crime, peaceful neighborhoods to bike and walk in, quick commute to the city and lots of trees. So realized the latter two will have to go with our recent move to SCa. My boyfriend is an actor so needs to be able to commute to the necessary areas. I am a dog trainer and need to live near wealthy areas where people can afford my services.
I honestly don't love LA (or most city environments) and would like to live in an area that is has the least LA feel. I do love nature and clean air, and since there aren't exactly woods here, being near the beach would be good. Also because I don't love hot temps. Flat is better for me since I love to bike, but I'd deal with hills to meet the other ideals.
We were looking in Santa Monica areas, but people are telling me the crime is bad there. So now I am considering Agoura Hills area.
Right now we live in an RV in Orange County by the beach. We want to get settled but where??? I'd be happy to spend under 2000 a month. We have no kids.

Thank you so much for your advice. We are really confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 PM

81 posts, read 327,134 times
I'm not sure what the Santa Monica "areas" are. Santa Monica is very low crime and one of the nicest areas in Los Angeles, so I'm not sure where you got that information. I would recommend Santa Monica, Marina del Rey, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Playa del Rey maybe Manhattan but it might be too pricey. There is a bike path running along the beach in all those areas and it is pretty flat. In Santa Monica you are not far from outdoor hiking in the mountains. There is also some hiking on the PV peninsula close to Redondo. You could definitely work as a dog trainer in those areas.

You might also check out Belmont Shore in Long Beach, there is a bike path, it is a great area, however no hiking. That may not be a quick commute to the city though.

For all of the above though, you would probably have to spend at your 2000 a month limit. To get cheaper, check out those areas above on the map, and then look at the areas one city inland, as that generally makes it cheaper, and you would still be pretty close to the beach.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever78 View Post
I'm not sure what the Santa Monica "areas" are. Santa Monica is very low crime and one of the nicest areas in Los Angeles, so I'm not sure where you got that information.
Thanks for your reply. I meant- SM, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista, West LA. As far as that info on Santa Monica, I heard it from both people who live here, and native to the area and also from statistics on crime, income, etc. From what I've been told, I understand there are good areas and not so good and that it's a matter of blocks. Not having looked I can't confirm (part of why I posted the question) so I hope everyone will give me a better idea. Safety is important to me since my boyfriend will be away a lot and I like to go for walks (I also have a nice car I don't want messed with).

Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,240 times
Problem with that area is widespread homelessness.

While these homeless guys are safe (you can go for a walk, my SO walks around her Santa Monica neighborhood), they are a nuisance. Constant panhandling, minor incidents like sleeping on your doorstep, etc. SM isn't cheap either. The cost for housing and the potential to find a deranged hobo taking a dump on my front lawn made me move elsewhere.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:55 PM

Yes, I'd rather not deal with that, especially for the inflated prices. Where did you find to be better?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbear View Post
Yes, I'd rather not deal with that, especially for the inflated prices. Where did you find to be better?
Prices? Good luck.

Areas surrounding Santa Monica are: Venice, Mar Vista, Palms, Brentwood, West LA, Westwood, Culver and more. Each has their own set of pro's and cons.

I live in Westwood, and for me it's the best balance between proximity to the beach, price, and quality neighborhood. If money weren't an issue, I'd like in Brentwood or Beverly Hills adjacent to where I live now.

HTH

Old 02-13-2008, 04:53 PM

81 posts, read 327,134 times
of the places Jack Sparrow mentioned, Westwood and Brentwood are the nicest. I personally love venice and lived there for a few years, regret leaving (its too pricey now). but not as "safe" as santa monica. i work in santa monica and have friends who live here. i jog after work in sm. there are some homeless but in comparison to the rest of la, i would never call it anything but safe. as to palms, west la, culver city, mar vista...i think santa monica is nicer, safer, more walkable, etc. than those areas, although they are cheaper. there are a couple places in santa monica that are higher density with college students that maybe aren't as upscale, but the area in general is very nice. you can definitely get a 1br under 2000, not sure about a 2bd.

check on craigslist for some listings, come out at night and hang out a little and walk around near the places listed in your price range to get a better idea. its hard for me to be exacting because everyone's impressions are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles