U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2016, 02:26 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,353,016 times
Reputation: 5262

Advertisements

It's always the chest-thumping 'Murica(!) idiots advocating for authoritarian regimes in America and don't seem to have any idea what communism is or understand that it's not the same thing as socialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2016, 02:51 PM
 
Location: La La Land
1,514 posts, read 1,895,150 times
Reputation: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sorry you aren't the other communist
That one starts with an M.

Check this out though from :
California

"Indeed, while the state is only 12% of the nation’s population, it is home to 33% of welfare residents. According to a report published by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) on January 26, 2015, there is a correlation between generous welfare benefits and an increase in immigration.

In total, California outspends every other state in public welfare spending – in 2014, it spent $22.4 billion. In contrast, the next closest state, New York, spent $11.9 billion."

So how do the other states outspend CA?
I would like to submit my name for consideration of membership in the Communist/Socialist Club of City Data.

I do not dispute that California (and every other major metropolitan center) spends enormous amounts of money on "welfare" of all kinds. What I can't seem to find clear evidence of is per capita spending of state funds independent of federal funds.

I realize this source may be biased in its basic philosophies but it gives a different perspective in its information:

Blue state, red face: Guess who benefits more from your taxes?

However, as previously mentioned, the majority of welfare recipients are local residents. Poor people are not able to move about as freely as middle class and upper class due to lack of financial resources. Suggesting that migration by the financially capable inflates local welfare rolls is just silly.
Suggesting the problem needs to be addressed locally makes more sense.
Suggesting internal borders is juvenile.
What's next, you can't enter our state because you are too fat, too thin, too ugly, too dark, too light, too democrat, too republican, too elitist, too illiterate, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
As I have no respect for you, your request is denied.. This is an Internet posting, not a professional piece. In short you cannot even attack or discuss my proposal so you have to resort to petty personal attacks.
I wasn't being petty or insulting. As a New Yorker, where economic segregation is a serious issue, I would expect you to be more sensitive to the issue. The worst example of economic segregation and inequity in the country is Manhattan. Gentrification has displaced numerous people from their homes in the interest of profiteering by politicians and real estate developers. Whole perfectly good middle class neighborhoods have been destroyed so elitist freaks can create enclaves of exclusion. How is that something to admire and replicate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 03:05 PM
 
Location: On the water.
10,325 posts, read 6,380,949 times
Reputation: 8605
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Suggesting that migration by the financially capable inflates local welfare rolls is just silly.
Suggesting the problem needs to be addressed locally makes more sense.
Suggesting internal borders is juvenile.
Um, yup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2016, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Reputation: 7246
It would be a good idea but I don't think it could ever be implemented.

Maybe it could be with regards to welfare/benefits issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 12:20 AM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,080,491 times
Reputation: 1022
California should secede
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 02:31 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
5,798 posts, read 5,238,468 times
Reputation: 3107
Inmigration into CA has slowed dramatically in recent years and research done by Dowell Meyers at USC has presented irrefutable evidence that as the percentage of children continues its fiur-decade long decline, combined with soaring numbers of seniors, the state remains totally unprepared for its own financial Armageddon, with nonstop tax hikes coming to a state facing a below-replacement birthrate within the next 2-3 decades.

The state also remains woefully unprepared for another major earthquake; the 1989 World Series earthquake was merely a warning, as is the state's refusal to build storage facilities for rainfall due to environmental extremism from the likes of Nunez, Kamala Harris, Brown, Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi, Willie Brown and other past and present politicians who despise the electorate which they are supposed to have in their best interests.

Democrats despise the middle class but love trial lawyers, tree-hugger and civil service unions, which explains the state's ongoing decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 06:47 AM
 
Location: On the water.
10,325 posts, read 6,380,949 times
Reputation: 8605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
the state remains totally unprepared for its own financial Armageddon, with nonstop tax hikes coming to a state facing a below-replacement birthrate within the next 2-3 decades.
.
"Absolutely! Because it's critical thinking to realize we should keep expanding and growing infinitely in a finite paradigm! The only way to solve our problems is MORE of everything!" - Cancer

With AI / automation / robotics poised to eliminate 30% more of the workforce within the next 20 years, and continue to eliminate more and more after that, we should definitely see how many future unemployed we can pack in now before it's too late!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,353,016 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Inmigration into CA has slowed dramatically in recent years and research done by Dowell Meyers at USC has presented irrefutable evidence that as the percentage of children continues its fiur-decade long decline, combined with soaring numbers of seniors, the state remains totally unprepared for its own financial Armageddon, with nonstop tax hikes coming to a state facing a below-replacement birthrate within the next 2-3 decades.

The state also remains woefully unprepared for another major earthquake; the 1989 World Series earthquake was merely a warning, as is the state's refusal to build storage facilities for rainfall due to environmental extremism from the likes of Nunez, Kamala Harris, Brown, Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi, Willie Brown and other past and present politicians who despise the electorate which they are supposed to have in their best interests.

Democrats despise the middle class but love trial lawyers, tree-hugger and civil service unions, which explains the state's ongoing decline.
FYI, all of this is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 11:56 AM
 
3,883 posts, read 2,505,765 times
Reputation: 2499
Or we can just stick to building vertical to allow more people to live in the city and improve our transit even more, and faster to cut street traffic in half and encourage jobs to move more into the city and show people how great it is to not need a car EVERYTIME they need to go somewhere.

We can learn alot from NYrkers.. We don't have to be NY, but we can sure learn some better ways.

Seriously, our lifestyle is pure insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 12:00 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,855,948 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
FYI, all of this is stupid.
The entire original post of this thread is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top